Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850557 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3720 on: December 09, 2020, 04:37:14 am »

Will myth generator make "Adam and Eve" for each civ (or maybe even each species)? That would be very logical. It's strange to see some historical figures born on like year -80 in current
version

Written history begins in year 0. Why is it strange that people exist before written history begins?

Besides, it's a fantasy game myth generator. Dwarves created from clay, elves created when the clay mates with the moledog of Elestior, etc. Read some fantasy to see how "logical" it tends to be.
Well anyway it would be good to do something with people being born before year 0. Right now there is just no real explaination.
Lots of people were born before year 0 in the real world, regardless of which of the historically used year counting systems you look at. You really have three phases in the DF chronology:
- Myth, which in itself may contain several different stages
- Pre history, which bridges myth and history, for a period of uncertain length before recorded history takes place.
- History, where DF accounts for deeds and events in an orderly fashion.

The characters born before the start of history where thus born during pre history (unless they were directly generated during Myth, of course).
I wouldn't be surprised if Toady would have the ambition to expand pre history eventually, to have a period of broad brush strokes but with limited detail and a limited number of hist figs.

LordL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: December 09, 2020, 06:26:02 am »

Will myth generator make "Adam and Eve" for each civ (or maybe even each species)? That would be very logical. It's strange to see some historical figures born on like year -80 in current
version

Written history begins in year 0. Why is it strange that people exist before written history begins?

Besides, it's a fantasy game myth generator. Dwarves created from clay, elves created when the clay mates with the moledog of Elestior, etc. Read some fantasy to see how "logical" it tends to be.
Well anyway it would be good to do something with people being born before year 0. Right now there is just no real explaination.
Lots of people were born before year 0 in the real world, regardless of which of the historically used year counting systems you look at.

In the real world year 0 is not the beginning of the Universe. In current version of DF it is.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: December 09, 2020, 04:36:55 pm »

I buy my games preferably on GOG because I like em DRM free. There is no guarantee what happends to my library if steam goes bankrupt or will be bought by somebody else. Unlikely but possible.

Buy from Itch then. They're DRM free, same as GOG.

And there is no guarantee that the steam version won't be.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: December 09, 2020, 06:28:16 pm »

version

Lots of people were born before year 0 in the real world, regardless of which of the historically used year counting systems you look at.

In the real world year 0 is not the beginning of the Universe. In current version of DF it is.
No. It isn't. When do you think all that erosion is taking place during map generation? Hence people being born in the year -80.
"A time before time" is just pre-history.

The beginning of the universe isn't simulated yet, it just happened in some abstracted past. Mythgen will generate that. And since Mythgen will generate the races, there's no need to ask "where did the first dwarf come from".

Will be interesting to see if there's a period between Mythgen and "year 0".

VineFynn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: December 10, 2020, 04:14:15 am »

This has probably been asked before, but will the existence of the Steam build and the accompanying graphics indefinitely add overhead to development, since it needs to be updated?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3725 on: December 10, 2020, 04:31:29 am »

This has probably been asked before, but will the existence of the Steam build and the accompanying graphics indefinitely add overhead to development, since it needs to be updated?
Welcome to the forum, VineFynn! In this thread we use lime green text when asking questions to Toady, as it's easier for him to filter them out that way.

I've already marked yours, for convenience' sake, but you can also do it yourself by using
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]whatever text[/color] and it'll turn out like whatever text.

More color codes here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164890.0
And here's a welcome thread for the whole forum, if you wish to stay: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177499.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: December 10, 2020, 05:29:22 am »

I imagine it's not too much to add for regular development. New stuff that needs to be visualised doesn't get added very often. Mythgen will produce some new critters and scenery maybe, but what's an extra 3 months on top of a multi-year Big Wait. Besides Toady doesn't make the graphics himself so possibly no extra time needed at all.

After all, he'll be developing new stuff with the understanding that official graphics are going to be made for it, rather than trying to retrofit and add catch-up code like he is now.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: December 10, 2020, 05:48:12 am »

As Shonai_Dweller said, the overhead will most likely be limited. Integral support for tile sets means that whatever has to be done to support that will have to be done for new tiles (and there will probably be a fair number of new tiles resulting from Myth & Magic given that there will be new terrain as well as effects, but "a fair number" will most likely be something in the 1-10% range of the current number of tiles). In addition to the code support, there will have to be coordination with the artists, so an official tile set will have some additional overhead above the effort of just supporting tile sets (but I hope reviewing tiles and discussing them with the artists is at least somewhat enjoyable to Toady, rather than just a necessary evil chore).

I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that Steam would be a larger burden over time than tile set support, though (Steam Workshop, achievements, changes to the requirements over time).

It can also be mentioned that as DF grows the effort of integrating new elements into a growing and increasingly complex framework will continue to increase. In that perspective, a better tile set support is just another element in the growth process.

VineFynn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: December 10, 2020, 05:38:21 pm »

Welcome to the forum, VineFynn! In this thread we use lime green text when asking questions to Toady, as it's easier for him to filter them out that way.

I've already marked yours, for convenience' sake, but you can also do it yourself by using
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]whatever text[/color] and it'll turn out like whatever text.

More color codes here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164890.0
And here's a welcome thread for the whole forum, if you wish to stay: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177499.0

I appreciate the welcome, but I'm not new here, I just forgot the lime :P

VineFynn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: December 10, 2020, 05:40:06 pm »

As Shonai_Dweller said, the overhead will most likely be limited. Integral support for tile sets means that whatever has to be done to support that will have to be done for new tiles (and there will probably be a fair number of new tiles resulting from Myth & Magic given that there will be new terrain as well as effects, but "a fair number" will most likely be something in the 1-10% range of the current number of tiles). In addition to the code support, there will have to be coordination with the artists, so an official tile set will have some additional overhead above the effort of just supporting tile sets (but I hope reviewing tiles and discussing them with the artists is at least somewhat enjoyable to Toady, rather than just a necessary evil chore).

I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that Steam would be a larger burden over time than tile set support, though (Steam Workshop, achievements, changes to the requirements over time).

It can also be mentioned that as DF grows the effort of integrating new elements into a growing and increasingly complex framework will continue to increase. In that perspective, a better tile set support is just another element in the growth process.
I imagine it's not too much to add for regular development. New stuff that needs to be visualised doesn't get added very often. Mythgen will produce some new critters and scenery maybe, but what's an extra 3 months on top of a multi-year Big Wait. Besides Toady doesn't make the graphics himself so possibly no extra time needed at all.

After all, he'll be developing new stuff with the understanding that official graphics are going to be made for it, rather than trying to retrofit and add catch-up code like he is now.
Makes sense. Thanks both.

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: December 10, 2020, 10:49:13 pm »

No way this hasn't come up some time before given the abundance of other formulas, but what exactly determines a successful dodge/block/parry? Is it skill vs skill alongside whatever debuffs a creature might have plus their attributes, and then that's it? Does size play a factor?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 11:58:27 am by NordicNooob »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: December 10, 2020, 10:51:18 pm »

No way this hasn't come up some time before given the abundance of other formulas, but what exactly determines a successful dodge/block/parry? Is it skill vs skill alongside whatever debuffs a creature might have plus their attributes, and then that's it? Does size play a factor?
Lime green for questions to Toady (assuming no-one else answers in the next few weeks).

LilyInTheWater

• Bay Watcher
  • Me want bite. Me want plant corn dog delight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: December 11, 2020, 05:01:00 pm »

I have a billion questions (A whole google doc of them) but I don't wanna overwhelm Toady so I'll trickle my questions out. (Also I'm not sure if you're allowed more than one question per post)

Will there be a slider for us to determine if magic items exist or not and if so can we determine how powerful they are and how common they are?

For example can I make the following scenario happen?:

Urist Weavercave is weaver and a former wizard. He keeps an enchanted ring on him that he found in a random stockpile. Many rings with the same spell litter the fortress as it is a cheap (Only costs a little bit of stamina on the caster's part), but still price-raising enchantment. Goes out into the caves to collect webs. Runs into a giant cave spider, he snaps his fingers and knocks the thing back. The giant cave spider smacks a wall and Urist goes about the rest of his day.

Generally I'm wondering if it's possible to build a fortress economy based off of selling magic items if the created magic system allows it? I like the idea of running a magic fortress and creating the most obnoxiously powerful magic items I can create for fun
Whatchu gonna do when I'm fucking small
Like one inch tall
You won't see me coming at all

He or They pronouns

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: December 11, 2020, 05:34:32 pm »

I have a billion questions (A whole google doc of them) but I don't wanna overwhelm Toady so I'll trickle my questions out. (Also I'm not sure if you're allowed more than one question per post)

Will there be a slider for us to determine if magic items exist or not and if so can we determine how powerful they are and how common they are?

For example can I make the following scenario happen?:

Urist Weavercave is weaver and a former wizard. He keeps an enchanted ring on him that he found in a random stockpile. Many rings with the same spell litter the fortress as it is a cheap (Only costs a little bit of stamina on the caster's part), but still price-raising enchantment. Goes out into the caves to collect webs. Runs into a giant cave spider, he snaps his fingers and knocks the thing back. The giant cave spider smacks a wall and Urist goes about the rest of his day.

Generally I'm wondering if it's possible to build a fortress economy based off of selling magic items if the created magic system allows it? I like the idea of running a magic fortress and creating the most obnoxiously powerful magic items I can create for fun
Feel free to post as many questions as you like. People post huge lists sometimes. Although try to stay clear of "suggestions", keep them in the suggestions forum (not a rule for rules sake, if your suggestion is good it may well be taken up, but it won't be remembered here. Suggestions forum is proactively checked by Toady/Threetoe).

Also, for many things which haven't started development yet, just be aware that the answer may be limited to "sure, we'd like to try that, no clear plans yet".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 07:42:25 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: December 11, 2020, 05:49:52 pm »

There was someone who tried to ask a long list of detailed formula questions, and Toady basically said that one of these per FotF response session was enough (too much time to go back and investigate), but that's the only time I've seen Toady say anything about the number of questions, so straightforward ones shouldn't be a problem (but I'd probably limit it to one maximum post per FotF response session at the most anyway).

For the scenario, there will be some kind of sliders controlling abundance and power of magic (although the exact set of sliders haven't been decided on). There will also be various RAW file mechanisms for controlling aspects of the world, and as far as I understand that would be usable to determine the spheres of magic present and I would guess also whether the kinds of magic (magic items, rituals, ...). Thus, your scenario doesn't seem impossible.

Once magic is in but before the economy gets overhauled, it would probably be possible to run a fortress based on selling magic items. Once economy gets back in, there'd probably be some kind of supply and demand involved, so if everyone can make magic items easily, they wouldn't sell for much. If, however, your fortress somehow was the center of magic development and most people didn't know anything about magic, you'd probably be able to churn out easy to make magic items for a pretty profit.
All of that is speculation based on what's been said, though, and magic development is quite some way off yet.

(And, Shonai_Dweller, I think some word incorrection SW has attacked your "Threetoe").
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 389