Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851247 times)

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3780 on: January 07, 2021, 06:25:53 pm »

You can make any race as evil, good natured or mixmatch of it. Whole races universally evil or otherwise. You can also have fantastic racism between them as plot devices like the dwarves and elves and so on as (sadly) a parallelism of real world. Specially when some, most of all of that racism is found out to be baseless as the plot advances in the case of books and such.

What should be avoided by anyone is seeing a fantasy race, specially a generic one like goblins and think/say/write: "It's offensive to X group of real life people", without any kind of support beyond their own predisposition and prejudgment.

Now, evil necromancers do are a jab at most politicians hehehehee

I think there just needs to be more ethics tags related to nationality and other social issues such as women's ability to participate in a civ for instance. I know there's a workaround for this in modding, but modders are lazy so having thoses types tags would help. It also add to simlution that's going on as well. More soical simultion is all ways welcome.

LilyInTheWater

• Bay Watcher
  • Me want bite. Me want plant corn dog delight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: January 08, 2021, 01:02:24 am »

I think there just needs to be more ethics tags related to nationality and other social issues such as women's ability to participate in a civ for instance. I know there's a workaround for this in modding, but modders are lazy so having thoses types tags would help. It also add to simlution that's going on as well. More soical simultion is all ways welcome.

I personally feel that would cause a lot of unnecessary fights in the community and I don't think it would be particularly useful addition to begin with. I like dwarf fortress a lot because it doesn't have stuff like misogyny be a thing in it. The closest the game gets to having gender roles is when the female dwarves have to carry their baby around for a year and I feel that's more of a convenience thing, and I personally would prefer it stay that way. I suppose it would be optional if it could be edited in the raws and thus easily taken out by most players, but see my first point. Simulation and realism are only useful for as long as they are fun--if they are hampering the fun, they shouldn't be that way. That's how I feel in my opinion.

Also this isn't the place for suggestions. Go to the suggestion forums for that.

Let's have a topic change before it blows up.

Does the "myth" part of the magic and myths update only include creation myths, or will there be other tales involving the gods as well in the initial worldgen process? Things like that one myth where Amaterasu hid a cave after Susanoo threw a flayed horse at her so the gods had to convene to try to get her out of the cave, for example.

also

Will there be a way to easily understand how a world's magic system works upon worldgen? Obviously there's room for discovery in gameplay, but it wouldn't hurt if there was at least a rough summary of how each world's magic system is set up on worldgen, unless the creation myth is supposed to explain the magic system as well.

I don't believe these are suggestions, just stuff I was wondering.

Edited the post to clarify my question!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:38:18 pm by LilyInTheWater »
Whatchu gonna do when I'm fucking small
Like one inch tall
You won't see me coming at all

He or They pronouns

Dr Disposable

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: January 08, 2021, 01:35:06 pm »

I was wondering about dragon generation, would dragons be different world to world which I presume is the case, or would there be several dragon types like how there are cave dragons and regular dragons.
And what are going to happen to cave dragons?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: January 08, 2021, 01:46:41 pm »

Edit: Nearly forgot. Is 'time before time' references in legends any sort of placeholder for mythgen connections coming in, or do my eyes deceive me?

It's just anything from before year 0 in world gen.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: January 10, 2021, 07:36:07 am »

I was wondering about dragon generation, would dragons be different world to world which I presume is the case, or would there be several dragon types like how there are cave dragons and regular dragons.
And what are going to happen to cave dragons?

fixed your colouring, lime green is pretty much necessary for questions to Toady - some sort of eyesight issue, IIRC, not exactly colour blindness so much as... it's uncertain quite what.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: January 10, 2021, 08:11:38 am »

The coloring is not an eye issue as such, but a practical one: coloring the questions allows Toady to quickly find them among the chaff of other posts (like this one). If you look at his answers, you find that he's got no problem reading and linking to those other posts when they contain relevant info.

Thus, it's a way to speed up the monthly answering process (and the sooner that's taken care of, the more time he can spend on "real" DF work).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: January 10, 2021, 09:34:40 am »

The coloring is not an eye issue as such, but a practical one: coloring the questions allows Toady to quickly find them among the chaff of other posts (like this one). If you look at his answers, you find that he's got no problem reading and linking to those other posts when they contain relevant info.

Thus, it's a way to speed up the monthly answering process (and the sooner that's taken care of, the more time he can spend on "real" DF work).
Also, the green, as opposed to lime green is really hard to read on some monitors, so lime green is preferred. That said, Toady's never complained about green posts and answers them whenever they crop up.

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: January 10, 2021, 01:57:36 pm »

Has generative/adaptive music in DF been suggested before?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

LilyInTheWater

• Bay Watcher
  • Me want bite. Me want plant corn dog delight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: January 10, 2021, 02:25:29 pm »

Edit: Nearly forgot. Is 'time before time' references in legends any sort of placeholder for mythgen connections coming in, or do my eyes deceive me?

Here in particular, I speak for those who are also drawing a blank on whatever a 'fixed world' might be, some kind of post-worldgen thing?

Quote from: devlog
Editors for fixed worlds

"First of their kind" creatures who come into being with a specific age have their actual birthdate as like the year -35. I would assume there is an actual timeline that takes place in the "Time before time" during worldgen, it's just not displayed in the game because it would be weird to see stuff like "in the year -455 x god broke up with y god and in -318 y god lost a finger and z mystical force sprang from it."
Whatchu gonna do when I'm fucking small
Like one inch tall
You won't see me coming at all

He or They pronouns

Aid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: January 10, 2021, 04:37:32 pm »

Hello Tarn how are Zack and his health?Have you changed the myth generator in any way from the moment you introduced it to GDC?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: January 10, 2021, 07:25:00 pm »

Yes. Here are just a couple that have procedural and music in the title.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159551.msg7102711#msg7102711
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149508.msg6111038#msg6111038

Although, I assume you mean "how hard do you think it would be to implement and if you do hypothetically intend to, what sort of priority is it compared to things already in the pipeline?" which you wont find an answer for in the suggestion threads.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: January 10, 2021, 08:05:51 pm »

Have you changed the myth generator in any way from the moment you introduced it to GDC?
Toady might well have tinkered with the prototype since the presentation, but bear in mind that he has not yet begun work on the Myth Arc, which is expected to last well over a year (easily over two, in my view). The final product will surely differ in various ways from what was shown at GDC, but I don't think you'll glean much of interest on the topic at present. Actually integrating it with the game is a bridge that Toady has yet to cross.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: January 11, 2021, 02:01:31 am »

Yes. Here are just a couple that have procedural and music in the title.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159551.msg7102711#msg7102711
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149508.msg6111038#msg6111038

Although, I assume you mean "how hard do you think it would be to implement and if you do hypothetically intend to, what sort of priority is it compared to things already in the pipeline?" which you wont find an answer for in the suggestion threads.

If you have a musical major or least a very good RAW modding copy-sheet, you can also write your own for static instruments the game will simply improvise cultural music styles around instead even as a full replacement. So procedural instruments isn't always 100% a nessecity. Infact there's a 50 part huge value-monster constructable steel pipe organ down in the modding section right now, which is the most complete instrument i've seen thus far though it'd be nearly impossible to buy from a caravan, very heavy, and difficult to construct by a nessecity of steel.

A more moderate example of a flute can be simply whittled out of a inexpensive piece of wood for instance with a input reaction recipie but needs fields put in for its sounds for types of composure.

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: January 25, 2021, 04:19:19 pm »

Will we have a multicore version for the steam release?
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3794 on: January 25, 2021, 04:38:44 pm »

Will we have a multicore version for the steam release?
No, DF will not be multithreaded beyond the graphics using a separate thread. It has been discussed many times, and making DF multithreaded is an immense effort for relatively negligible benefits.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 389