Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851155 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3915 on: March 15, 2021, 08:41:22 am »

Nuptial and friendship encouragement are the two cases I can think of off hand, and I've never used the latter. I agree that the natural rate of marriage and friendship making in the game (i.e. without adding extra constraints making it easier or harder) ought to be such that you'd rarely want to consider adding that extra layer, so I agree with Shonai_Dweller that having to paint two overlapping bedrooms should be fully adequate to cater for this kind of desire (assuming I haven't missed some important use case, of course).

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: March 18, 2021, 06:59:07 am »

Do you intend the new room designating to trial the 'decentralised' workshop system you once spoke of, in which the function of a zone is determined by the tools/furnature present?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: March 18, 2021, 07:47:39 am »

Do you intend the new room designating to trial the 'decentralised' workshop system you once spoke of, in which the function of a zone is determined by the tools/furnature present?

I'd be rather surprised if it happened before Myth & Magic, as reorganizing all workshops likely would be a substantial task.

Personally I'd find it backwards to first set up a neutered zone, guess what e.g. a blacksmith would need, make and place the furniture/tools guessed at, and then, possibly, finally be able to access info about what the rest of the equipment required is. It's really a messy information accessibility issue. Of course, you could make a neutered zone and that would give you access to info about what workshops you can turn it into, and then onto info about what the mandatory and optional equipment is for each particular workshop functionality, but it would still be awkward. Setting up a zone and then select that it should become a blacksmith and a brewery would allow you to provide status info for the functionalities to show you what you lack, including if the zone is too small for the minimum functionality of at least one workshop, as well as if it's too small for the full functionality of any of them (taking what's already in the zone into consideration). "Full functionality" would mean the ability to perform all tasks, as there's likely no reasonable upper limit to the number of parallel tasks of a particular kind a zone could support (just add more anvils to support the tasks that require access to anvils).

Work zones that won't be restricted by a strict job queue will also pose challenges to the job flow control. You don't want one type of job to monopolize the resources, e.g. because it's the least resource intensive, so it will always grab e.g. the anvil when it becomes available, while the other jobs that also require additional workshop resources have to wait for all of them to become available at the same time. You (or at least I) also want to have some control over what the workshop produces, rather than placing 5 jobs with the Manager only to find that the first two years get spent on producing left socks, moving to the right ones only when all the 100 left socks had been produced (and then back to left socks as those start to get worn [yes, I know socks are produced as pairs, so this is an exaggeration]). This as opposed to producing one set of clothing at a time.

alan8325

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: March 18, 2021, 06:25:24 pm »

Can we expect the undead and non-biological monsters (eg titans made of stone) after the Myth&Magic release to have greater complexity of their "mechanics" on par with living things? What I mean by this is living things currently have blood amounts, pain, fear, muscles, ligaments, guts etc. all effecting combat and abilities while animated dead and non-biological monsters have none of that and are relatively simplified mechanics-wise. I suppose after myth&magic there will be some kind of functional magic that stands in for functional blood and muscles, like "pulling 5% of the aura from the nearest piece of underworld slade" or whatever?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: March 19, 2021, 03:18:45 am »

Can we expect the undead and non-biological monsters (eg titans made of stone) after the Myth&Magic release to have greater complexity of their "mechanics" on par with living things? What I mean by this is living things currently have blood amounts, pain, fear, muscles, ligaments, guts etc. all effecting combat and abilities while animated dead and non-biological monsters have none of that and are relatively simplified mechanics-wise. I suppose after myth&magic there will be some kind of functional magic that stands in for functional blood and muscles, like "pulling 5% of the aura from the nearest piece of underworld slade" or whatever?
Changing the non living (and non reanimated) monsters won't happen automatically as a result of Myth & Magic, but would require its own development task. With Myth & Magic the non living monsters can be explained away as being powered by a magic source inside them (node or whatever, that just dissipates when the critter is destroyed: later development might allow harvest of that whatever, but that's later development), while leaving their functionality unchanged (until the time to flesh out the system arrives).

alan8325

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: March 19, 2021, 01:48:02 pm »

Changing the non living (and non reanimated) monsters won't happen automatically as a result of Myth & Magic, but would require its own development task. With Myth & Magic the non living monsters can be explained away as being powered by a magic source inside them (node or whatever, that just dissipates when the critter is destroyed: later development might allow harvest of that whatever, but that's later development), while leaving their functionality unchanged (until the time to flesh out the system arrives).
I was under the impression that the Myth & Magic arc *is* to flesh out that kind of functionality. Though I suppose if the arc is slit up into multiple pushes, which Toady has said it will be, it makes sense to place that kind of work in the second or subsequent one while the first push is geared towards the generation of the spheres that explain the existence of the undead or whatever. Thanks for the reply.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: March 19, 2021, 06:32:11 pm »

Welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around!
So Toady-One doesnt really tend to answer questions outside of what he and his brother are currently working on. You'll often get, 'Sounds good.' and 'We'll see.'
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: March 20, 2021, 02:12:32 am »

Archery range updates sound excellent! Can these ranges be set over multiple z-levels, or was your wooden platform at the same level as the distant cliff targets?

Related (kind-of) to flood-fill assigning of tombs, has something been added for regular coffins too? Enabling every one of those for burial (or, most likely forgetting to until miasma is filling up your tavern) is kind of annoying.

Flood-fill bedrooms - if we're setting a bunch of bedrooms for the tavern, will we still have to go back to set the location one at a time, or can this also be mass-selected?

Wouldn't it be nice if dorfs claimed a bedroom then went to fetch whatever furniture they need for it, bed, cabinet and whatever.

This last bit not in lime green of course. Just musing....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:08:19 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: March 20, 2021, 11:20:26 am »

I'm not sure if it's been asked yet, but are we likely to see workshops zonified in the same way bedrooms and the like are? Will it require creating certain tools instead of making most workshops out of just one material? I'm thinking of the way forges and dye workshops are built, requiring an anvil or barrel.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: March 20, 2021, 11:40:18 am »

If dorfs were free to claim furniture for their bedrooms you may well get issues with fulfilling the room requirements of nobles, as the lowlies would nick stuff as soon as it's produced (nobles wouldn't do the installation work of their stuff themselves, of course). You'd also get issues with their ideas of where things should be placed in their rooms, as well as upgrading the quality of things (room decoration with color/material matching also goes out the window, but I guess dorfs might get stuff of favored materials/colors if available at the time things are selected, but as things tend to be pulled off the production line as soon as it's produced that won't happen often).
The most serious problem is that your (at least mine) chronic bag shortage would be epidemic as all the bags get used as "chests" as soon as they're manufactured (unless seed storage gets to them first).

A heads up for Toady (not colored as it's a read once that doesn't require any answer): A potential problem with bedroom zones: If dorfs claim bedrooms based on the existence of free bedroom zones, you may get issues with dorfs sleeping on the floor rather than in free beds in the dorm when you've dug out space for bedrooms and prepared zones for them, but don't have enough beds yet (or they haven't been installed). Dorfs probably shouldn't claim bedrooms until they have beds in them, or at least not try to use them for sleeping until there's are beds in them if there are available dorm beds (the latter is better, as clothing can still be stored in a bed less room, but it might be a harder condition to code).

I'm not sure if it's been asked yet, but are we likely to see workshops zonified in the same way bedrooms and the like are? Will it require creating certain tools instead of making most workshops out of just one material? I'm thinking of the way forges and dye workshops are built, requiring an anvil or barrel.
Yes, it's the direction Toady is heading in. However, probably won't happen before Myth & Magic. See my previous attempt to answer this a few posts up (kontako asked basically the same question).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: March 20, 2021, 06:41:37 pm »

If dorfs were free to claim furniture....
As an option I mean.

Also, re-reading the devblog, it seems like flood fill will be detecting the furniture and making rooms based on them (like the manual system now). So no sleeping in the floor. Maybe. Hmmm.

March 8th: "Furniture based rooms are not going to survive"
March 19th: "...it uses a flood routine from each potential piece of furniture"

So, which is it? Are bedrooms linked to beds now or not? Can we make a bedroom without a bed by just drawing a zone and calling it a bedroom? And can flood fill designate a hundred enclosed rooms as "bedrooms" if they don't contain beds? Or will that just not work?

Also does flood-fill automatically know what kind of room I want based on it's furniture? Or do we have to choose "bedroom--flood fill", then "office-flood-fill", etc. So if I have 10 bedrooms and a manager's office (with furniture) can I drag a zone and it'll know to make an office from the chair and bedrooms from the beds.

And if it is automatic, what if I have a room with a table, a chair and a statue, will it know this is a pleasant dining room or might it be confused and call it a statue garden or an office?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 07:03:36 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: March 21, 2021, 03:32:07 am »

A chair and a table can equally well be used as an office or a dining room, and both pieces of furniture would be required for the room to be functional in a real setting, so there is no way to automatically deduce what the room is intended for. You could, of course, add logic to try to set the room to the type matching the furniture in the center, but that's defeated both by rooms that have even tile dimensions (so there are 4 tiles equally close to the center) and by the practice I have (I may or may not be alone) of placing non masterwork furniture offset from the location I will eventually place masterwork replacements in. That way I can place the new furniture first and remove the inferior one afterwards, without interrupting the room's functionality.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: March 21, 2021, 04:06:25 am »

A chair and a table can equally well be used as an office or a dining room, and both pieces of furniture would be required for the room to be functional in a real setting, so there is no way to automatically deduce what the room is intended for. You could, of course, add logic to try to set the room to the type matching the furniture in the center, but that's defeated both by rooms that have even tile dimensions (so there are 4 tiles equally close to the center) and by the practice I have (I may or may not be alone) of placing non masterwork furniture offset from the location I will eventually place masterwork replacements in. That way I can place the new furniture first and remove the inferior one afterwards, without interrupting the room's functionality.
Yes, hence my question. Are furniture designated rooms gone (March 8th statement) or not (Implied in March 19th statement)?

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: March 23, 2021, 06:27:18 am »

Tents already pop up in refugee camps, will the reworked sieges make use of them as well?
Likewise, will a sieging army make use of artillery as we know it, or will artillery be reworked?

I like to imagine sieging armies set up camps and patrols, raiding your surrounding settlements to coax you out, and for artillery fire to follow an arc, followed by area-of-effect/structure damage.

Unrelated to above, can all historical events which occur in world generation also occur in the world (whether on or off-screen) during fortress mode?

"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: March 23, 2021, 06:38:24 am »

Is the area rework contemplating or serving as a base for the planned workshop rework into areas?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 389