Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850142 times)

Quizumba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4155 on: August 05, 2021, 07:15:30 am »

Oh Toady the greatest of toads, There is by any chance add a FORCE dig option (explanation dig even if there is damp location) for our tiny dwarfs? sometimes I want to dig through an aquifer location without having to remake the tile to dig again.

Thanks in advance and I wish you all shiny cut gems our dwarfs can find.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:01:28 am by Quizumba »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: August 05, 2021, 07:37:51 am »

Oh Toady the greatest of toads, There is by any chance add a FORCE dig option (explanation dig even if there is damp location) for our tiny dwarfs? sometimes I want to dig through an aquifer location without having to remake the tile to dig again.

Questions in lime green please.  By "Change Color" in the top right of the edit box or [.color=limegreen] with a [./color] (minus .) surrounding text.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: August 05, 2021, 10:18:11 am »

In the "s" Squads screen, using "p" to select individual dwarves for squads #11 and higher never works, while it does work for squads #1-10. Is this on the radar to fix?
(Sorry, but for some reason I couldn't log in to the Bug Tracker to search for this.)
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: August 05, 2021, 11:42:00 am »

Questions in lime green please.  By "Change Color" in the top right of the edit box or [.color=limegreen] with a [./color] (minus .) surrounding text.

BTW if you want to give examples of bbcode, you can use the [nobbc] tag to show exactly what needs to be typed into the message. :)

[color=limegreen][/color]
               ☝
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: August 05, 2021, 12:25:54 pm »

This is really a suggestion rather than a question. I know for certain this idea has already been suggested in the appropriate forum section, so it'll happen when it happens.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: August 10, 2021, 11:04:34 am »

Will the new multi-z-layer display be toggleable?  Can we turn it off and see just one z-level at a time?
I can picture myself turning it off briefly as a way to confirm what I'm seeing, especially with ramps/slopes (fairly often until getting the hang of the new graphics).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: August 10, 2021, 04:46:03 pm »

Will the new multi-z-layer display be toggleable?  Can we turn it off and see just one z-level at a time?
I can picture myself turning it off briefly as a way to confirm what I'm seeing, especially with ramps/slopes (fairly often until getting the hang of the new graphics).

Meph has said elsewhere (reddit, a while ago) that while there were no settings at that time, it was intended that the user would be able to set the additional depth shown over a range, including zero.

While the current TWBT implementation is neat sometimes, it's not universally popular, so this was very good news. I keep it off myself, to aid in building floor spans across crevices, etc. It's neat on the surface, but underground, especially in forts with multi-z structures, it can be very confusing.
Team Bug Fix!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: August 11, 2021, 07:14:47 am »

...snip...
While the current TWBT implementation is neat sometimes, it's not universally popular, so this was very good news. I keep it off myself, to aid in building floor spans across crevices, etc. It's neat on the surface, but underground, especially in forts with multi-z structures, it can be very confusing.
Agreed.  When I first tried TWBT it was "wow" and then the confusion was a problem along with crashes and so I play without TWBT or graphics and find it's the best way for me. No eye-candy to distract me from the pure beauty of the game itself.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4163 on: August 11, 2021, 06:12:19 pm »

The ”before posting a suggestion” guidelines on the suggestions board link to the old outdated consolidated development page, which feels suboptimal. I’m not sure if there is a better place for this, so I’m posting this here to make sure Toady sees it.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: August 12, 2021, 02:33:33 am »

The ”before posting a suggestion” guidelines on the suggestions board link to the old outdated consolidated development page, which feels suboptimal. I’m not sure if there is a better place for this, so I’m posting this here to make sure Toady sees it.

On this note, is that old development page accurate in that while it's probably incomplete and not in the planned order, everything on it is still planned to be done eventually, or would some features have been scrapped?

Urist McSadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: August 12, 2021, 05:39:48 am »

1.When are we going to actually see festivals during gameplay?
2.Sorry if this is too much of a suggestion, but it's kind of a bummer how colosseums and skulls on pedestals do nothing but give your people trauma (especially when playing a modded race like goblins). Are there any plans to change that in the near future, maybe taking certain traits like cruelty into account?
3.Are we going to see Adventure mode ai improvements before the big wait? It's pretty silly how I can murder innocent villagers one by one and all they do is cry and spit on me.
4.I remember you mentioned adoption being added in the near future. Is this going to allow gay/asexual figures to get heirs?
5.Dungeon Masters don't do much right now. What exactly are they planned to do once the villain update is over?
6.Are we going to see more flexible magic system? IE systems that let you create your own spells?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: August 12, 2021, 06:47:21 am »

1.When are we going to actually see festivals during gameplay?

Patience  :). About festival content, toady's already given a reply about festivals in the last FotF which would help you out.

Quote from: ToadyOne
Quote from: Eric Blank
1)You mentioned gambling problems. What are dwarves actually gambling on? Can they gamble on the outcomes of WG festivities/tournaments? Or is it just abstract board/card games for now?
1) He he he, unspecified.  Given what we have, it's most likely those festival competitions, yeah.  I may add some flavor specifics yet, if I get a chance to revisit before release.

Celebrations, gambling, random generated food and the like were all kind of queued for the tavern arc (another unresolved arc), as when it happens post the steam arc or beyond which importantly has to happen for financial reasons and after-calibration of making the steam ver stable.

2.Sorry if this is too much of a suggestion, but it's kind of a bummer how colosseums and skulls on pedestals do nothing but give your people trauma (especially when playing a modded race like goblins). Are there any plans to change that in the near future, maybe taking certain traits like cruelty into account?

It is a suggestion, but i do sympathise with you on this, i can't even memorialized the inorganic severed arm of a forgotten beast which really should have been a mighty trophy given the lives that were lost trying to claim it without dwarves feeling quite squeamish. But the relief is that in the current DF version dwarves can become much more nulled, so having a bit of fear with the odd morbid decoration around the fortress can help you prepare them for the very very scary things like mounds of bodies without breaking their minds by throwing them in at the deep end.

That's my way of looking at it anyway, toughening up your goblins to it with terror 101 would be recommended for any other grisly work they do.

3.Are we going to see Adventure mode ai improvements before the big wait? It's pretty silly how I can murder innocent villagers one by one and all they do is cry and spit on me.

Even if Toady recognizes it is silly (like monster hunters) im not sure he's actually spoken about topics like that recently, the reputation system is a bit of a fudge in when it works and doesnt like people running up to you and calling your a murderer for killing a giant they asked you to in a quest, but if there's a change to behaviour it'll probably happen as a rework. That's probably leaping to around the time of the Law arc after the army & big wait ((magic arc and map-rewrite)) so that entities are capable of understanding shifting entity politics and other subjects, so very very far away.

45.Dungeon Masters don't do much right now. What exactly are they planned to do once the villain update is over?
They have the intrigue tokens and handle animals, i dont know what the latter animal handling might do in the future (in the 2d past, dungeon masters were the only people responsible for taming exotics) and as up to of recently they're your spymasters.

A interesting thing to do is set your spymaster up as a tavern-keeper and they'll probe people while they're all inebriated and loose lipped about what they're really up to (which seems a exploit but only the alcohol is responsible for any misgiving here). I do remember some discussions that they might in the future of the villian arc being revisted and loose ends tied up, be the figureheads who enable instigating the fortresses own plots and counter intelligence using screen we can see but not interact with yet.

6.Are we going to see more flexible magic system? IE systems that let you create your own spells?

Really one for Toady, we only have pre-set and prepared secrets/interactions etc we can use because the game loads this information up at the time, post-gen in game procedural magic forms would be probably not as game intended.

EI - You cast a cloud levitation spell but you've mixed in to make the cloud out of flames, since you're a xth level wizard this turns you into a living sun and you burn everything to a crisp within render distance as you float on by. Its really morrowind fortify intelligence potion to infinity level shenanigans, and out of what we do know about proposed magic arc concepts is that magic will have a consequence most of the time, and extremely powerful magic as a result would probably severely dehabilitate/kill the caster or significantly change something else, like a big disturbance in the magic-force that causes a disaster.

LordL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: August 12, 2021, 11:03:07 am »

What if players will have some limited access to legends right during their fortress/adventure runs that will only allow viewing events that are known to the player? This would really bring joy of discovery and some order to the information you know (especially useful in adventure mode)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: August 12, 2021, 11:10:09 am »

What if players will have some limited access to legends right during their fortress/adventure runs that will only allow viewing events that are known to the player? This would really bring joy of discovery and some order to the information you know (especially useful in adventure mode)?
I believe the past answer for the question about limited knowledge is that it's quite costly to keep track of who knows what and to disseminate knowledge to people properly, so if you ask A about something today they won't know much, but tomorrow, after speaking to B, they know a bit more, but still not everything.

My guess is that the meta info of keeping track of who knows what easily can outweigh the actual information itself, and Legends info can be quite substantial.

Edit: Question raised by the labor changes reported.
I don't understand how "...but the jobs will be done by anybody available, starting with the most talented." can work unless most of the work force is unassigned to any "real" job. In the current system dorfs select posted jobs as they become available for new jobs, unless unoccupied when the job is posted. Without changes to that logic, the talented dorfs will almost always get the next job in a workshop taken by somebody else, unless the current "finished job. Wander away for 10 or so steps before taking a new one" behavior is changed so dorfs now either kick the unskilled out, or grab the next job immediately. Any comments on how this will work?

On the positive potential side, does need satisfaction factor into the job selection process, such that those who desperately want to craft something get a higher priority than the usual riffraff?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 11:42:25 am by PatrikLundell »

LordL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: August 13, 2021, 02:39:07 pm »

I believe the past answer for the question about limited knowledge is that it's quite costly to keep track of who knows what and to disseminate knowledge to people properly, so if you ask A about something today they won't know much, but tomorrow, after speaking to B, they know a bit more, but still not everything.

My guess is that the meta info of keeping track of who knows what easily can outweigh the actual information itself, and Legends info can be quite substantial.
Well there is already a menu that has a list of events, people, sites, artifacts, etc. that you are aware of but you can only use it to find these things on the world map. I think it would be great to have more information about them immediately available so that these things become actually meaningful and immersive.
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 389