Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850505 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4200 on: September 06, 2021, 07:13:17 am »

There's ones made out of filth and grime (iirc yellow or brown colored, depending on whether its liquid or solid) too, I don't see why one type of nastiness is more juvenile than the other. Would not be in favor of removing them for some silly reason like that.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: September 06, 2021, 04:37:55 pm »

I'm for the change from "ass" to "donkey", but TBH I don't have a problem with the vomit/filth demons and forgotten beasts.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

winggar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: September 06, 2021, 04:56:48 pm »

Hello! I've been working on a game myself that relies strongly on procedural generation, and I have a few technical questions as to how Dwarf Fortress world generation works behind the scenes. First of all, how does each tile decide which biome it's a part of? My game uses a chunk-based system, and I have a voronoi diagram for assigning biomes. A voronoi sample is done for each vertex of the chunk, and if there are any discrepancies then a voronoi sample is done on every tile.

Secondly, how are erosion passes handled? I can't think of a way to do it that wouldn't bleed over into nearby chunks.

Finally, how is it decided where lakes and rivers start? I know that they just go downhill after being placed, but I'm not sure where to place these water features in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:06:26 am by winggar »

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: September 07, 2021, 12:36:10 am »

I'm for the change from "ass" to "donkey", but TBH I don't have a problem with the vomit/filth demons and forgotten beasts.

My thoughts on the whole "ass vs donkey" thing are that it's fine as it is now; it's a suitable, archaic term for them (fitting given that it only applies to werebeasts and ancient creatures/demons), and with the Steam graphics most people won't be mistaking "wereasses" or "ass demons" for.... Something else like they do now once in a while.

Yeah you'll still inevitably have a few new people here and there posting stuff like "hah hah a giant ass twisted into humanoid form" despite the graphics, but I don't think this is a huge deal, and it won't be as common as before anyway.

Hello! I've been working on a game myself that relies strongly on procedural generation, and I have a few technical questions as to how Dwarf Fortress world generation works behind the scenes. First of all, how does each tile decide which biome it's a part of? My game uses a chunk-based system, and I have a voronoi diagram for assigning biomes. A voronoi sample is done for each vertex of the chunk, and if there are any discrepancies then a voronoi sample is done on every tile.

Secondly, how are erosion passes handled? I can't think of a way to do it that wouldn't bleed over into nearby chunks.

Finally, how is it decided where lakes and rivers start? I know that they just go downhill after being placed, but I'm not sure where to place these water features in the first place.

You should post your questions in lime green if they're directed at Toady.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 12:40:47 am by Mr_Crabman »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4204 on: September 07, 2021, 02:01:52 am »

I'd be fine with the ass-to-donkey change if just for consistency's sake.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: September 07, 2021, 02:15:05 am »

@winggar: The biome is calculated based on the parameters of the world tile (temperature, salinity, drainage, rainfall, etc.), plus latitude. The logic is rather lengthy, but wholly deterministic. DF allows you to specify the parameters as presets (except for salinity and evilness, which are out of the direct control of the player). If a tile is orthogonally adjacent to another tile of the same region type they belong to the same region (or join up to form the same region, if you will). For example, all kinds of forest belong to the forest region type so a forest region can have both taiga and dry broadleaf forest tiles.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: September 07, 2021, 08:36:13 am »

For myself: anyone encountered/bugrepped a rather concerning (47.05 checked) UI issue (since apparently this is the thread for Steam/Classic UI discussion) in chara creation? (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/555404726817259580/879491375391969350/DF_adv_UI.png Experiment appearance versus https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/555404726817259580/879502966577590322/part2.png Human/etc appearance.

(And yes, z=>d has been checked and found working, it's just the char creation Appearance tab that's having this issue.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:39:01 am by Silverwing235 »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: September 07, 2021, 04:04:52 pm »

I'd be fine with the ass-to-donkey change if just for consistency's sake.

Yeah it's really more a consistency issue for me as well (I don't have a huge problem with the juvenile "hehehe ass" jokes, the elimination of those would just be a bonus).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: September 07, 2021, 08:52:53 pm »

How complex would it be to restructure stockpiles to accept modded materials?

For example, I can mod bone blocks into the game, but I can't add 'Bone' to the 'Blocks: Other Materials' menu in stockpile options, and consequently the bone blocks aren't accepted.

Could stockpiles theoretically be pushed to the raws, or would this require some kind of code that scans all of the reactions to see what can be made of what materials?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:22:31 am by Rekov »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: September 08, 2021, 06:39:11 pm »

Have you thought about revamping the three main splash pages for the graphical release?

-http://www.bay12games.com/
-http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
-http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: September 08, 2021, 07:44:27 pm »

I'm assuming Bay12 will remain the home of DF classic. All the fancy stuff has been done through Steam so far, with only a few threads dedicated to showing off that stuff here.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: September 14, 2021, 05:42:36 pm »

On a technical level, would you be willing (or perhaps as part of the steam release) to build DF for ARM architecture? Mostly for Raspberry Pis and other SBCs. No idea how much of a hassle that would be, but the latest RPis are powerful enough to run DF without immediately meeting FPS death.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4212 on: September 23, 2021, 11:51:13 am »

The new video of Zach playing a desert fort has a ”stoneworker’s workshop” (seemingly) instead of a ”mason’s workshop”. The workshop also includes some tasks that reside in a craftdwarf’s workshop in the currently available versions of DF, such as those for slabs and pedestals but notably not the crafts. Does this mean all those tasks will now be done by a mason (perhaps renamed to ”stoneworker”?) and that only the common crafts such as figurines and rings will stay with the stonecrafter/craftsdwarf’s workshop?

Edit: And a question for ThreeToe: In the desert fort, you locked a door between the fort and the caverns because ”monsters might come”. Knowing building destroyers roam down there, that obviously won’t work in the long run. Was this intentional to lead new players to discover !fun! and antimeasures against it on their own? Or do you simply play more open forts like that?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: September 24, 2021, 05:21:24 am »

Just checking regarding the MAGICAL creature-caste token:

Quote from: DFwiki
No function, presumably a placeholder.

Is it actually a piece of scaffolding left sticking out, or is there more to it?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:13:05 am by Silverwing235 »

Carrolito

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: September 24, 2021, 02:15:06 pm »

Thanks for all the effort you are doing  :D I have never felt so excited about a game!
I have a doubt, I understand that the videos so far are not going to be the final product, are there any plans to add an option to enable/disable the flicker on dwarves and entities? I feel a little weird to see sprites that don't have the characteristic flicker of the game, especially I feel that the feeling of movement when moving from one frame to another is missing

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 389