Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850850 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4230 on: October 03, 2021, 06:28:35 pm »

For me it's really exclusively a consistency issue, I'm not especially concerned with abuse of juvenile puns or any potential obscure ethical objections people may have to the word "ass" that I'm unfamiliar with. It quite simply makes no sense (IMO anyway) to have the word "ass" in a game where the domesticated equine sometimes referred to by that name in the real world is only ever called a "donkey". If wild asses ever get around to being implemented as an official creature in vanilla DF, then we can talk about reimplementing wereasses and the like. Until then, as already brought up, there's always mods.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 06:33:55 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: October 04, 2021, 03:55:58 pm »

For me it's really exclusively a consistency issue, I'm not especially concerned with abuse of juvenile puns or any potential obscure ethical objections people may have to the word "ass" that I'm unfamiliar with. It quite simply makes no sense (IMO anyway) to have the word "ass" in a game where the domesticated equine sometimes referred to by that name in the real world is only ever called a "donkey". If wild asses ever get around to being implemented as an official creature in vanilla DF, then we can talk about reimplementing wereasses and the like. Until then, as already brought up, there's always mods.
Oh, does this mean the were-mammoth must now be deleted? That's too bad. All because some people find words funny.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: October 04, 2021, 05:13:31 pm »

I guess I see your point, didn't actually think of that (not to mention all the other possible procgen creatures corresponding to animals that don't currently exist in vanilla DF). To tell the truth, wherever Toady lands on the issue I'll probably be fine with it. Just felt the need to put my two cents in for some reason, which I'm now regretting. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: October 04, 2021, 08:43:04 pm »

I guess I see your point, didn't actually think of that (not to mention all the other possible procgen creatures corresponding to animals that don't currently exist in vanilla DF). To tell the truth, wherever Toady lands on the issue I'll probably be fine with it. Just felt the need to put my two cents in for some reason, which I'm now regretting. :P
Oh, it's certainly an issue that needs some discussion. Putting aside the ass thing, is there a reason that were-creatures and demons can include extinct and mythical creatures?

I think it adds to their horror, which is nice. But some prefer logical consistency I guess.

(It's an Ass!
A what!?
I..er..like a horse but smaller.
Now you will know why you fear the night!).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:46:08 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: October 04, 2021, 08:48:46 pm »

Extinct creatures also give immortal monsters from "a time before time" a suitably ancient feel IMO, whereas an ass is still just...an ass.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:52:00 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: October 04, 2021, 08:55:18 pm »

Extinct creatures also give immortal monsters from "a time before time" a suitably ancient feel IMO, whereas an ass is still just...an ass.
Still extinct. (Or most varieties are anyway).
And definitely "extinct" in the Dwarf Fortress worlds.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:57:19 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: October 07, 2021, 09:09:35 am »

Are there any plans to add giant desert scorpions back in?
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: October 08, 2021, 06:00:11 pm »

There's gotta be another animal drive coming someday. I don't think Toady gets the chance to do new critters often though. Wild donkeys and zebras as mentioned above are good contenders.

And salamanders. I just remembered there are no salamanders besides olms!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4238 on: October 08, 2021, 06:28:00 pm »

Are there any plans to add giant desert scorpions back in?

A long long time ago (2015 :p) we were given a promise:
Quote from: file_changes.txt
will add replacement scorpion later
Alas, the powers of the scorpion are too mighty. Even a mere effigy may gain access to the source of the banished one. Who knows what happens then...

ror6ax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: October 10, 2021, 04:43:10 am »

How are big enemies going to be represented visually in Steam version? Will they be multi-tile?

Has there been any thought to visualisation of damage/fight? Once dwarf and the enemy are on adjacent tiles, what will we see/hear?
Proficient at setting myself on fire in Adventure mode.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: October 10, 2021, 05:57:50 am »

How are big enemies going to be represented visually in Steam version? Will they be multi-tile?

I could be wrong, but I believe this discussion settled on the large creatures' sprites being slightly outside the bounds of their tile, but still only taking a tile. This way it doesn't require a huge rewrite, but conveys size to some degree.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: October 10, 2021, 12:03:45 pm »

would it be possible to change the layer fog in caverns to a darker purpler hue? the reason light works like this irl is because the sky is blue, but underground this wouldn't be the case, meaning right now the caves feel really outside for something hat's supposedly pretty deep

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: October 11, 2021, 01:57:52 pm »

1. Assuming it's still not clear whether Linux (and Mac) support will be possible on the Steam release, at what point/milestone in development would this be investigated?

2. Obviously this depends on player feedback, but after the initial Steam release (and fixing any major problems that may arise), would there a second (small) UI pass made (and/or enhancement of modding capabilities/framework), or is it just immediately onto resuming the villain stuff?

3. Can you say roughly what sort of priority/frequency future updates to modding/workshop capabilities or UI enhancements (or even graphical, such as smooth movement between tiles for instance) would have after the initial release (and if there is one, the "smaller second pass") in general? Contingent on player feedback of course.

4. What screens/menus remain to be done for fortress mode? With the military stuff hopefully done by the time you read/respond to this, I think it's the civ screen and whatever is left in the "info hub", but what is left in the info hub, and is there anything else outside the info hub and civ screen?

5. Is the info presented in the top bar final? For instance, I think somewhere there was something asked a while back about whether it might mislead players about needing to keep the entire fort fully active at all times by showing the number of idlers, and on wider screens there's quite a bit of unused space (granted, maybe some of it should be reserved for future updates).

I could be wrong, but I believe this discussion settled on the large creatures' sprites being slightly outside the bounds of their tile, but still only taking a tile. This way it doesn't require a huge rewrite, but conveys size to some degree.

You're right (the huge rewrite for true multi-tiles comes in a much, much later update); I think the max size decided on is 2x3 tiles (height/width).

Literaljoker99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: October 12, 2021, 05:46:30 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Carrolito
Thanks for all the effort you are doing  :D I have never felt so excited about a game!
I have a doubt, I understand that the videos so far are not going to be the final product, are there any plans to add an option to enable/disable the flicker on dwarves and entities? I feel a little weird to see sprites that don't have the characteristic flicker of the game, especially I feel that the feeling of movement when moving from one frame to another is missing

I don't understand this one - is there a characteristic flicker in the ASCII version?  To me the happy face symbols are on one tile, and then they are on another tile, and there's no flicker at all related to movement or otherwise, and it works the same way in the Steam version.  Whether or not there should be sliding movement in the graphical version is a different question as I understand it.  Things I can think of that are like flicker are the flashing legendary dwarves, the /-\|/ animation when there are multiple creatures in a tile, and the status symbols that flash over them, but those things don't relate to movement.
I think that Carrolito did mean the /-\| animation, status symbols, et cetera. I assume that "when moving from one frame to another" refers to these things happening over time, rather than in-game movement.
"I wish I could change my username"
    -Literaljoker99 Sanzarote

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: October 14, 2021, 09:43:27 am »

I see there have been changes to workshops, menus, and jobs, and I've seen the graphical representations of these changes, but for most of them I haven't seen corresponding ASCII versions. If I choose to use the ASCII version, will I be able to identify everything immediately or will many things be unfamiliar?

How well does all the information fit into an ASCII screen? How will it look at smaller than 1920x1080 resolution and/or resized windows?

I've seen how lower layers look in the graphical version, will there be similar effects in the ASCII version?

How wed are you to the ANSI colours, will you move to a broader colour palette in the ASCII version at any point?

Are you working in ASCII first and then moving to graphics, or are you working with graphics first and then going back to ASCII?

How do floaty menus work in ASCII? Do they snap to a grid or are they unaligned with the background graphics?

But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 389