Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850517 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4260 on: October 31, 2021, 05:02:28 am »

When there's a Steam Release, is there going to be an advertising campaign? Seeing ads for DF would be a ray of sunshine in the darkest timeline.

I don't know the answer to this, but I can say DF is a publicist's dream indy game. Every single update gets articles somewhere it seems, and has for years before Premium was announced. Sure, a ridiculous number of those articles are bad and filled with incorrect info, (my "favorite types" being "It's only in ascii!" but all the pictures are mixed Phoebus and Ironhand "borrowed" from ancient forum posts, and "It's the best game ever and you shouldn't even try to play, you're too dumb.") It's impossible to be involved in "games" and not see DF on the regular.
Team Bug Fix!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4261 on: November 01, 2021, 12:38:50 pm »

What is the question here, all of the post? Only the edit is marked in green.

Would like to know the proper names of the enum values, for verification. They're just integers in compiled code, so DFHack has them as best guesses based on use. Posting the correct names would be easier and more useful than answering the original (now unmarked and spoilered) question, which involves a specific segment of code.

DFHack's term "VERMIN_ESCAPED_PET" is either overly specific, DFHack's got something out of order, or Toady's code is checking the wrong one for some reason.

Edit: Just added the integer values to my post and noticed "CONTAINS_ITEM" and "VERMIN_ESCAPED_PET" share a value of 10. This might suggest it's an issue in the code, but "UNIT_HOLDER" doesn't have the same problem.
For what it's worth, all of the "general_ref" names were taken directly from the class names (which are visible in RTTI), and for the other enum there's a function that's used to load references from savegames and it logs unique error messages for each type (e.g. "Nuked Vermin Reference (Escaped Pet)") and I used those for the names.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4262 on: November 01, 2021, 06:35:47 pm »

Quote from: ArmokGoB
Are there any plans to add giant desert scorpions back in?

Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8318896#msg8318896
voliol: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8318903#msg8318903

Giant bark scorpions live in the desert, though it doesn't seem to satisfy people.  I'm not sure which desert species people like.

Quote from: ror6ax
How are big enemies going to be represented visually in Steam version? Will they be multi-tile?

Has there been any thought to visualisation of damage/fight? Once dwarf and the enemy are on adjacent tiles, what will we see/hear?

delphonso: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8319349#msg8319349
Mr_Crabman: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8319741#msg8319741

Yeah, Mr_Crabman's correct - the larger creatures are displayed at up to 3x2 tiles, but don't actually occupy tiles any differently.

We have the more graphical blood and upcoming corpses and chunks, and we have some effect animation for strikes on the recipients of attacks yet to test.  We can't really animate the attacking creatures themselves easily - there are lots and lots of creatures and we need to finish the procedural ones before we even consider going back and adding any frames.  The music/sound question is complicated and we'll have to continue updating as we go on that.

Quote from: GOTOTOTOE
would it be possible to change the layer fog in caverns to a darker purpler hue? the reason light works like this irl is because the sky is blue, but underground this wouldn't be the case, meaning right now the caves feel really outside for something hat's supposedly pretty deep

We're at a few places on this - we like the blue outside, and we want to see if it can be merged with a different color inside, and it's unclear if that's going to work.  If it doesn't, we may change it.  In either case, either the one or 2+ colors will be editable.

Quote from: Mr_Crabman
1. Assuming it's still not clear whether Linux (and Mac) support will be possible on the Steam release, at what point/milestone in development would this be investigated?

2. Obviously this depends on player feedback, but after the initial Steam release (and fixing any major problems that may arise), would there a second (small) UI pass made (and/or enhancement of modding capabilities/framework), or is it just immediately onto resuming the villain stuff?

3. Can you say roughly what sort of priority/frequency future updates to modding/workshop capabilities or UI enhancements (or even graphical, such as smooth movement between tiles for instance) would have after the initial release (and if there is one, the "smaller second pass") in general? Contingent on player feedback of course.

4. What screens/menus remain to be done for fortress mode? With the military stuff hopefully done by the time you read/respond to this, I think it's the civ screen and whatever is left in the "info hub", but what is left in the info hub, and is there anything else outside the info hub and civ screen?

5. Is the info presented in the top bar final? For instance, I think somewhere there was something asked a while back about whether it might mislead players about needing to keep the entire fort fully active at all times by showing the number of idlers, and on wider screens there's quite a bit of unused space (granted, maybe some of it should be reserved for future updates).

1. I think when fort mode and the lead up from the title screen through world generation to embark to the fort is nearing completion, we're going to see where we are at with the other OSs, the classic conversion, Steam workshop, achievements, legends, adventure, and arena.  We need to head toward the minimum viable release before we spend any serious time on anything else, and it's hard to have those discussions with all the involved parties until I have more of an idea when I'll be done with the fort stuff.  We're much closer now, anyway.  Military felt like a big step.

2+3. It's just impossible to say right now.  Everything depends on how the release goes.

4. Minecart hauling stuff.  Several tabs on the view sheets.  Some pressure plate stuff.  The civ screen and the info screen tabs (whichever ones we are keeping, they are still in flux as we go - certainly the justice stuff needs to be done.)  Diplomacy / petitions.  The new notion of alerts.  Smaller stuff like hotkeys for recentering, follow cam, and so forth.  Any tutorialization we are going to do.  The save/load restructuring, including how mods etc. get loaded/etc.  And of course there's doing the map part for embark as well, if you count that toward fort mode.

5. No, it's not.  Idlers is gone in the latest videos if I recollect.  The main idea on the table was just to make it customizable, since people are interested in different things, sometimes at different times in the same fort.  We can add this to the list in question #4!  Along with settings generally.

Quote from: Buttery_Mess
I see there have been changes to workshops, menus, and jobs, and I've seen the graphical representations of these changes, but for most of them I haven't seen corresponding ASCII versions. If I choose to use the ASCII version, will I be able to identify everything immediately or will many things be unfamiliar?

How well does all the information fit into an ASCII screen? How will it look at smaller than 1920x1080 resolution and/or resized windows?

I've seen how lower layers look in the graphical version, will there be similar effects in the ASCII version?

How wed are you to the ANSI colours, will you move to a broader colour palette in the ASCII version at any point?

Are you working in ASCII first and then moving to graphics, or are you working with graphics first and then going back to ASCII?

How do floaty menus work in ASCII? Do they snap to a grid or are they unaligned with the background graphics?

Mr_Crabman: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8320559#msg8320559
PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8320570#msg8320570

The replies cover a lot of it (thanks!).

There are lots of menu changes - the new military screen we've been showing for instance, is quite different, and will look basically that way in ASCII.

My dwarf computer is 1366x768, and things work there, and at windows somewhat smaller than that.  It's difficult though to preserve things all the way down to 80x25 console sizes (640x300) or even close to that, and there'd need to be an extra push to attain that level of smallness.

The main tie between me and the 16 colors (which even persists in a lot of the graphical text) is just the sheer number of color change calls in the old version.  But we're technically decoupled now from both color and glyph count dependencies, as PatrikLundell says.  Some of the ASCII issues we had with a white 'g' being a zillion things can be handled now in whatever way we like; the most popular perhaps being the addition of 1-2 extra glyph sheets.  For purists, I'm not sure - a Moria-style 'q' for quadruped system might be required and it would still just be totally confusing.

None of the menus are currently 'floaty' in a click-and-drag style, though this is possible at some point.  Even then, they'd align with the ASCII grid.

Quote from: Urist McSadist
1.Will mythologies and magic systems be customizable? And if that's the case, will they also be exportable?
2.Are there ever going to be procedural weapons?
3.Are cage traps and drawbridges going to get nerfed with the siege improvements?
4.Are guilds and religions going to be expanded upon before the big wait?
5.Are longer weapons like spears ever going to actually have more range?

FantasticDorf: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8322521#msg8322521
PlumpHelmetMan: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8322545#msg8322545
PatrikLundell: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8322584#msg8322584
PlumpHelmetMan: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8322624#msg8322624

1. The replies cover the first part, and I haven't thought as much about exportability.  Certainly if the current xml is any indication, there'd be some form of exporting, and there probably isn't a reason to make it in a format which can't be reincorporated.

2. We have the ones we have now, cordoned off, but yeah, we'd hoped to do it for the main cultures at some point - lots of problems to overcome there, since we can't just throw the player into a deep muck of randomness without them opting in.

3. Should goblins be able to free their friends that get trapped in cages?  If they can, should the player be able to lift/drop the cage somehow to keep their prisoner?  Should a third goblin go down a hallway where two others have been chopped up by saws?  If so, how would they react instead to a maze of traps?  How do they deal with an inaccessible fort?  It's kind of an arms race thing - the game needs a ton of nerfs, the way things are now, for people that want challenging invasions, but hopefully also we can provide some additional tools.  Though our main ideas there involve stuff like moving fortress bits and other complications which seem map-rewrite linked.  We'll have to see how it plays out.

4. Probably not very much - things touch upon them in the villains area, for example, so I wouldn't rule it out, but the big entity rewrite is later.

5. It's the plan, yeah, though when the combat update is I'm not sure.  We've done reach in side projects and it adds a lot, but it's never seemed to be time for the combat update in DF, as with several other updates.  Range/reach is neat both over multiple tiles, but also just for adjacent fighters that have a situation, somewhat like wrestling, when somebody with a dagger might be well within the spear point, to their advantage, or held at the point and almost completely unable to attack, with both fighters attempting to improve their position while/instead of attacking.  Another interface nightmare, of course, on top of all the current combat information, especially keeping it consistent when 3+ fighters are involved, but it's good stuff.

Quote from: Immortal-D
On the subject of tackling the more complicated interfaces for Steam, have you had a chance to look at bins & containers in general? i.e. Seeds within bags within barrels within stockpiles.

FantasticDorf: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8322876#msg8322876

I'm not sure what you are asking specifically here, in terms of problems to be addressed.  There are new conveniences - from the item sheets, you can zip easily down into containers and then back up to whatever/whoever is holding the object, which wasn't possible before, and barrels (and later bins) graphically show their general contents a bit now.

Quote from: FantasticDorf
1) Would we maybe be seeing some of this equipment screen being designed for military recycled for domestic trinkets (earrings etc) on a dwarf's person in the future?

2) Lastly, with the slots assigned imparticular would they manifest with the BP of the creature using some of the existing cues like hearing token parts required for earrings? (ei, ettins would have two helmet-slots for two independent heads, or if BP was tokened not to, retracting the choice of a slot)

That last bit is a bit suggestiony, but i have faith that it might hopefully eliminate the long standing recessive code artifact that quadruped  people (along the lines of centaurs) wear two pairs of pants and shoes over their hooves.

1. We have a list of their worn/etc. items displayed in the items tab.  Do you mean specifically stuff they want to pick up but haven't picked up yet?  It doesn't seem as pressing.

2. I haven't changed how the assignments work, so any issues with mods/residents are ongoing.  The changes I've made are just in how the existing information is displayed (and getting rid of some pointers and doing some other changes to get at the raid issues, again.)

Quote from: Bumber
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8324639#msg8324639

Would like to know the proper names of the enum values, for verification. They're just integers in compiled code, so DFHack has them as best guesses based on use. Posting the correct names would be easier and more useful than answering the original (now unmarked and spoilered) question, which involves a specific segment of code.

DFHack's term "VERMIN_ESCAPED_PET" is either overly specific, DFHack's got something out of order, or Toady's code is checking the wrong one for some reason.

Edit: Just added the integer values to my post and noticed "CONTAINS_ITEM" and "VERMIN_ESCAPED_PET" share a value of 10. This might suggest it's an issue in the code, but "UNIT_HOLDER" doesn't have the same problem.

Quietust: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8325610#msg8325610

Yeah, those are the correct names, as Quietust says.  There are two different sets of references, because one of them is older and more pointery and bad but I haven't been able to update all of the uses.  When it checks for an item's holder, there are three possibilities: it can be held by an item (GENERAL_REF_CONTAINED_IN_ITEM), it can be held by a unit (GENERAL_REF_UNIT_HOLDER), or it can be a vermin event that holds an item - these generally come from escaped pets that get on the ground, because regular vermin don't have an item generated until you pick them up, though I suppose it is possible now to pick up a vermin event, making it an item, and then drop it, so it's not technically always an escaped pet (or there's probably animal trap route as well)?  Assuming the item isn't deleted instantly in that case (which I don't remember.)  But that's REFERENCE_VERMIN_ESCAPEDPET, one of the older pointery ones that points to the vermin event as the 'container' of the item, where map coordinates are stored.

Quote from: Mobbstar
It has been mentioned before that divine spheres will be customisable to some extend via the Mythgen params/editor.  Does it stop there?

Do you intend for spheres to become exposed in the Raws?  On one hand, they are supposed to be universal concepts that derive their flavour from intersection, and thus wouldn't need any raw mods.  On the other hand, some settings could benefit from revamping or adding spheres.  (e.g. The Long Night could split "animals" between "mutants" and "nanites", and add "machine" deities.)

FantasticDorf: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8324966#msg8324966

It's sort of similar to custom attributes, which we were also planning, where a world would add some basic new metaphysical creature trait, and then knit it into the procedural systems.  Custom spheres are like that - they could be tied to many systems, but they'd lack some of the fundamentalness of the base notions.  And this is okay, since it's still a big step!  In your example, the ties feel like they are mostly related to raw-defined objects (like machine creatures and items, or however it works), and that's the perfect thing for it.  In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if over time, our default spheres like "animals" "fish" etc., became custom spheres, while others like "jealousy" or whatever remained base spheres.  If we further systematize emotions, actions, etc., even that could change.  But we're only going to get to so much, ha ha ha.

So there's some hope for this, overall, to get at things that feel hard-coded, even if it's only 'halfway'.  Hopefully it'll be in the ways that matter.

Quote from: Buttery_Mess
When there's a Steam Release, is there going to be an advertising campaign? Seeing ads for DF would be a ray of sunshine in the darkest timeline.

clinodev: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8325367#msg8325367

Ha ha ha, it would be amusing, though I'll generally be trusting Kitfox's judgment on the effectiveness of things per dollar spent etc., which is always changing as the internet/etc. evolves and people ignore some types of things and pay attention to others.  We may be doing well enough, since as clinodev says, we've been lucky enough to get attention without pressing too hard for it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: November 02, 2021, 07:07:32 am »

Thanks as always for the replies!

>Quote from: Immortal-D

>    On the subject of tackling the more complicated interfaces for Steam, have you had a chance to look at bins & containers in general? i.e. Seeds within bags within barrels within stockpiles.

I suspect they're getting st things like the "seed spam" you get when a dwarf grabs the seed barrel and drags it to the dining room to pick up a plump helmet spawn, leading to mass cancellation spam messages from the planter who just knows the barrel is gone. It's solved "easily enough" by making a feeder stockpile that takes seeds from anywhere but has no barrels, and a stockpile with barrels that takes from it, but it's a source of endless confusion for newer players "I know for sure I have seeds, but it says there aren't any!" I have no suggestions for a fix, but it's an ever-present issue for newer players.

>Quote from: FantasticDorf

>    1) Would we maybe be seeing some of this equipment screen being designed for military recycled for domestic trinkets (earrings etc) on a dwarf's person in the future?

I suspect they'd like to see the same sort of code used in the military screen to assign jewelry and possibly clothing, etc., to a particular dwarf. This would be fantastic for filling needs as opposed to the current "make everyone haul trinkets between stockpiles in a loop until they all take something" system, and very nice for playing dress up with priests and nobles.
Team Bug Fix!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: November 02, 2021, 08:23:12 am »

Thanks for the answers Toady!

Thanks as always for the replies!

>Quote from: Immortal-D

>    On the subject of tackling the more complicated interfaces for Steam, have you had a chance to look at bins & containers in general? i.e. Seeds within bags within barrels within stockpiles.

I suspect they're getting st things like the "seed spam" you get when a dwarf grabs the seed barrel and drags it to the dining room to pick up a plump helmet spawn, leading to mass cancellation spam messages from the planter who just knows the barrel is gone. It's solved "easily enough" by making a feeder stockpile that takes seeds from anywhere but has no barrels, and a stockpile with barrels that takes from it, but it's a source of endless confusion for newer players "I know for sure I have seeds, but it says there aren't any!" I have no suggestions for a fix, but it's an ever-present issue for newer players.

Oh, i don't experience this too often but this makes more sense in the relevant context. Normally the way i do it, finished meals are laid out ready for dwarves closest to their public areas, and raw food is moved further away in their little production loops to automate seed retrieval, but dwarves still occasionally if they have a preference for the food, run all the way to the industrial/agriculture area to retrieve raw food and leave seeds out (similarly to dwarves picking up 1 barrel at a time to drink, vs the relatively new use of mutliple goblets over a barrel) so a few bits of raw-food-ingredients for these trouble dwarves are cooked especially to get around it.

>Quote from: FantasticDorf

>    1) Would we maybe be seeing some of this equipment screen being designed for military recycled for domestic trinkets (earrings etc) on a dwarf's person in the future?

I suspect they'd like to see the same sort of code used in the military screen to assign jewelry and possibly clothing, etc., to a particular dwarf. This would be fantastic for filling needs as opposed to the current "make everyone haul trinkets between stockpiles in a loop until they all take something" system, and very nice for playing dress up with priests and nobles.

Close but not quite. I was more interested in seeing UI slots replacing the current lists-for-items as toady says in more accurately pre-reading the requirements of the creature (RPGish inventory slots least how the new military inv screen looks like), as right now you can quite accurately throw anything on them armor level 0 and you're not 100% sure if its nessecary to fit them, like missing underwear which is always picked up as nessecary from invading forces. To the side, mild hope improved logic through the new military-screen could help solve problems like dwarves picking up to wear x5 metal crowns or bracelets, then weighing themselves down to death.

I do like your interpretation of my question better though for forcing the monarch to wear a artifact crown all the time, even though its not technically accurate with my intent. :D I can already force a civilian ideal uniform through the military inventory screen at current to be least conflicting with layers, or equip all leather.

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: November 02, 2021, 05:05:04 pm »

How do these other forum members (like Clinodev, PatrikLundell, FantasticDorf and so many others) help answer questions, particularly ones that seem like they would require knowledge of the actual code?  Do they just have amazing memories for when you've answered similar questions in the past?  How do they know so much?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 05:07:18 pm by teh sam »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4266 on: November 02, 2021, 05:18:57 pm »

Thanks for the answers Toady, as always! :)

How do these other forum members (like Clinodev, PatrikLundell, FantasticDorf and so many others) help answer questions, particularly ones that seem like they would require knowledge of the actual code?  Do they just have amazing memories for when you've answered similar questions in the past?  How do they know so much?

When I first saw this comment it was red and sparkly, and supposed it was a novel way to direct the question at the people of this thread instead of Toady. Now it probably wasn’t (considering the color changed), but it was intruiging while it lasted.

My secret trick is the ”print” button on the top of the Future of the Fortress thread (and all others as well) which gives you a version of the thread where Ctrl-F is fully applicable.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: November 02, 2021, 05:48:16 pm »

Some people have also spent time digging around the code with the aid of DFHack (and presumably other tools). You can see that in Bumber's previous question.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: November 02, 2021, 06:00:22 pm »

I'm flattered to be listed, but I'm not one to know about deep technical matters. I can fortunately confirm we have several mad geniuses in here who not only read the forum but have been poking, prodding, de-compiling, writing test tools, and coding utilities, often with Tarn's help, for years. I'm continually as impressed as you are with folks like PatrikLundell, FantasticDorf, and too many others to easily name!

For more general, "Toady said," things, I moderate on the /r/dwarffortress subreddit and the Kitfox Discord, so I end up reading and sometimes even answering questions more frequently than most folks, and it sticks after a while. I also do my best to make sure people outside the forum see all the updates from here so I'll often have formatted all the text and chosen clickbaity quotes, leading me to read things several times. I can often remember previous answers well enough to find the actual quotes.
Team Bug Fix!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: November 02, 2021, 07:31:52 pm »

A long time ago, you dealt with a specific problem in ansi,
Doors and floodgates were too bright when made out of brightly colored stones.
So bright that people would refuse and dispose of, doors and floodgates made out of said stone, because of the glare.
The colors of many stones were changed to less bright versions of said regolith, while microcline and orthoclase were given a darker secondary color for doors and floodgates. cinnabar was outright made darker in color to reflect real life better, with the new red being acceptable enough for doors/floodgates.

1. Do you have plans to add more colorations of various stones (I'm assuming this would be post-release)?

2. What does this mean for stones that aren't a solid color even from a fair distance, especially puddingstone or gem walls?
(I've looked at the gem walls in the videos and they don't really stand out)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: November 02, 2021, 08:38:35 pm »

Quote from: Immortal-D
On the subject of tackling the more complicated interfaces for Steam, have you had a chance to look at bins & containers in general? i.e. Seeds within bags within barrels within stockpiles.

FantasticDorf: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8322876#msg8322876

I'm not sure what you are asking specifically here, in terms of problems to be addressed.  There are new conveniences - from the item sheets, you can zip easily down into containers and then back up to whatever/whoever is holding the object, which wasn't possible before, and barrels (and later bins) graphically show their general contents a bit now.

To clarify for Bins specifically; A Dwarf will claim an item inside the Bin for a task, and the entire contents of the Bin then become inaccessible for the duration.  If the Dwarf is interrupted or far away, an entire stack of cloth or bolts becomes unavailable until that retrieval has cleared.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: November 02, 2021, 08:46:38 pm »

1. Do you have plans to add more colorations of various stones (I'm assuming this would be post-release)?

2. What does this mean for stones that aren't a solid color even from a fair distance, especially puddingstone or gem walls?

All of these are editable in the raws, and I expect the Steam release will follow the same structure.

[INORGANIC:PUDDINGSTONE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:puddingstone][DISPLAY_COLOR:6:7:0][TILE:233]
[ENVIRONMENT_SPEC:CONGLOMERATE:CLUSTER:100][AQUIFER]
[IS_STONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:2000]
DISPLAY_COLOR can manage all that, plus your color settings in init. Or am I missing your meaning?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: November 03, 2021, 03:49:03 am »

It's been answered already, but it's a combination of past answers by Toady, getting acquainted with (some) DFHack structures (and, to some extent, participating in mapping them), posts about how things work by people on the forum, own play experience, and programming experience coupled with an idea of how Toady organizes data. All of that filtered through a memory that's far from perfect.

Organized people, like Clinodev, also take and keep notes.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: November 03, 2021, 04:43:04 am »

After the rewriting is complete, will you leave some easter eggs in the game relating the "old" way to play the game ? Like the infamous unfriendly UMKH keys ? Would something happen if you use them ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: November 03, 2021, 12:38:32 pm »

How do these other forum members (like Clinodev, PatrikLundell, FantasticDorf and so many others) help answer questions, particularly ones that seem like they would require knowledge of the actual code?

Searchbar filters by topic, which takes a lot of strain but not the entirety of it off memory, elsewise too much time on my hands to enjoy browsing the forum and look into things which i often prove my first assumptions wrong.

After the rewriting is complete, will you leave some easter eggs in the game relating the "old" way to play the game ? Like the infamous unfriendly UMKH keys ? Would something happen if you use them ?

I lament that DF has formed my muscle memory hands, which their sprawl all over the keyboard will eventually be obsolete without a 'legacy' preset key-binding option. So i assume broadly no, but with freed up keys, they might be reallocated (which complicates the idea around a legacy keyset without going into weird shift and alt click technicalities). I am also interested to see what a new 'friendly' embark screen UI will be like, if theres any general refinement in the presentation of a embark, since most players outsource to DFhack for the info they actually want, like a geological survey hinging on almost cheating on the content of the soil and ore densities/types.

But i suppose in context, you can say dwarves run around with dousing rods to get the briefest of ideas what lies on embark, or least they know already without calling upon generalized geographical knowledge (abstract from scholarly pursuits, but maybe probably shouldn't be so omniscient about it without good reason)

All of these are editable in the raws, and I expect the Steam release will follow the same structure.

Color can also be gradiented, in its own thing in color.text in the initialization, in order to hue (some graphic mods only really repackage colors), so i assume its part-graphics, and part counselling what complementary and harmonizing colors to apply to make it 'click'. I do hope much though that the fog itself will have a token to influence in the final product so we dont have to work around the basegame color scheme and can just incorporate our own.
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 389