Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850076 times)

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4305 on: December 02, 2021, 09:12:48 pm »

thanks for the answers toady! and good luck with the new art; i hope it all works out ok.

you've said in the past that you intend to update the bugtracker when you have time - is there any chance of that happening before the commercial release? it is over a decade[!] out of date now, after all.

in a similar vein: is there any chance of updating the forums to https? http is rather antiquated at this point - my browser complains every time i open the site, lol.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: December 02, 2021, 11:41:07 pm »

The purple miasma certainly gets the point across - don't go here, it's NASTY!  But... I'm wondering if you might consider making it transparent?   I never thought it was right that we can't even see what's underneath the stench cloud.  Then again, it does add a little bit of !FUN! by way of potential surprises.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4307 on: December 03, 2021, 07:22:43 pm »

in a similar vein: is there any chance of updating the forums to https? http is rather antiquated at this point - my browser complains every time i open the site, lol.

I think part of the reason it doesn't use SSL is because most people here have externally-hosted avatar images, and having HTTP images in an HTTPS page tends to result in "mixed content" security warnings. Of course, it also seems to require HTTP URLs for avatars, so that doesn't really help things much...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:25:46 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: December 03, 2021, 09:52:12 pm »

I think part of the reason it doesn't use SSL is because most people here have externally-hosted avatar images, and having HTTP images in an HTTPS page tends to result in "mixed content" security warnings. Of course, it also seems to require HTTP URLs for avatars, so that doesn't really help things much...

Is there some major risk we're all subject to by this being an HTTP URL instead of an HTTPS URL?  I assume it would just be our Bay12 passwords at stake if anything.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: December 04, 2021, 03:21:42 pm »

The purple miasma certainly gets the point across - don't go here, it's NASTY!  But... I'm wondering if you might consider making it transparent?   I never thought it was right that we can't even see what's underneath the stench cloud.  Then again, it does add a little bit of !FUN! by way of potential surprises.

...Yeah, wrong thread/forum? I think you're looking for here? (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173473.0)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: December 04, 2021, 05:47:37 pm »

When it is done, will people be able to switch between graphics and ascii? This might be important for community games.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: December 04, 2021, 06:24:12 pm »

Ooh, yeah, we've had weird enough issues switching from graphics packs/special tiles tilesets  as they are now back to ascii, that's definitely something to consider. Iirc though that is the plan, to make everything compatible and interchangeable.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: December 04, 2021, 07:03:11 pm »

Yeah, I believe the visual layer is just that - the core game will be the same, so the save should be fine. Succession forts won't need to be split between paid and free.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4313 on: December 05, 2021, 04:44:12 am »

The coming week(s) it should also become more apparent whether pre-Premium saves will be transferable to the new versions. That is: Having worked on the save/mod restructuring, does it seem like the Premium release (and corresponding Classic release) will be compatible with old saves? If it comes down to writing some tool that transforms old saves/raws into new ones, has this already been done, is it something you might revisit later, or do you expect the community to figure it out (if possible)?

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: December 09, 2021, 03:51:55 am »

The coming week(s) it should also become more apparent whether pre-Premium saves will be transferable to the new versions. That is: Having worked on the save/mod restructuring, does it seem like the Premium release (and corresponding Classic release) will be compatible with old saves? If it comes down to writing some tool that transforms old saves/raws into new ones, has this already been done, is it something you might revisit later, or do you expect the community to figure it out (if possible)?

There are a number of structural changes to the game that makes that extremely unlikely- of the top of my head, at least, the way that labours will be changed to other skills as well as a change to the way stone working workshops work mean that the saves won't be compatible.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: December 09, 2021, 05:07:33 am »

Not to be rude or anything. Unless its a extremely low hagging fruit, Toady should not concern with save game retro compatibility for the new version.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: December 09, 2021, 06:11:39 am »

Not to be rude or anything. Unless its a extremely low hagging fruit, Toady should not concern with save game retro compatibility for the new version.

I do think there are people out there who play DF on a sparse schedule so that they jump versions with the same fortress for the experience of the update mechanics/bugfixes where possible, so not having access to their raws would mean they have to start over or effectively stall on upgrading versions perhaps regarding the anxiety of a new embark/not being a confident modder and got it prepackaged, and losing some storied history with those dwarves.

It'd be nice if there was a save converter (built-in?) that overrided the raws when transferring from classic to steam as it would also suit Toady's needs for checking saves for bugs (which would possibly be even more difficult, given modders really flex the Raws, being able to tell the game is totally unedited and certified vanilla by just looking at it is a impossible task)

And seperately, a question.

With whatever progress or inclination towards tutorialization you're doing for the steam release, do you think your work there will influence the hastening or later-groundwork implementation of the scenario arc?

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: December 11, 2021, 10:35:49 pm »

I have a few questions:

- What's with the weird hardcoded materials like amber, pearl, coral, filth, and the unknown substance?
- What does Dwarf Fortress's commitment to realism mean for, uh, sex-related stuff?
- Once the Myth and Magic update is done, do you think y'all'll focus on smaller things (e.g. fixing bugs, making tweaks, optimizing things, etc.) as the community stays tided over by the update for a while?

How do i use sigtext properly?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: December 12, 2021, 04:30:34 am »

I have a few questions:

- What does Dwarf Fortress's commitment to realism mean for, uh, sex-related stuff?
Commitment? You mean like realistic Hungry Heads, humans who sleep once a month and visitors who don't eat?
And where do you think Dwarven babies come from anyhow?

Dwarves fall in love, get married, take on lovers, have bastards, plot against one another due to jealousy. Not sure we need much more. Pop up message every time an on-map creature copulates would be beyond annoying.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 04:37:07 am by Shonai_Dweller »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: December 12, 2021, 05:11:18 am »

Sort of vaguely connected to this, it was pointed out to me tonight in a Twitch stream that the previous dwarven incest taboo has apparently been broken for years at least in Legends. This might be a thing to sort out for Premium.
Team Bug Fix!
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 389