Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850771 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4320 on: December 12, 2021, 05:21:27 am »

Well, I agree the Fortress Mode level is reasonable.

However, as far as I understand, there's long been an interest among Adventure Mode players to form relations and have families. I can also imagine that some may want to engage in "conquests".

And now a question for Toady:

Have you considered making the graphical side of the Premium/Classic division be purely a tile set one, i.e. have the same UI in both versions/modes and just have the tiles used for the game being different? As far as I can see it would mean less work to make a single UI and less work to maintain a single one.
However, it might give a weird impression to have a "normal" UI paired with character based tiles in the game (and, presumably, the tiles in the UI representing in-game things). There may also be contractual issues making the UI elements unavailable for use in the Classic version.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: December 12, 2021, 05:33:51 am »

Have you considered making the graphical side of the Premium/Classic division be purely a tile set one, i.e. have the same UI in both versions/modes and just have the tiles used for the game being different? As far as I can see it would mean less work to make a single UI and less work to maintain a single one.
However, it might give a weird impression to have a "normal" UI paired with character based tiles in the game (and, presumably, the tiles in the UI representing in-game things). There may also be contractual issues making the UI elements unavailable for use in the Classic version.

I'm pretty sure this is already the plan?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: December 12, 2021, 09:34:57 am »

Well, I agree the Fortress Mode level is reasonable.

However, as far as I understand, there's long been an interest among Adventure Mode players to form relations and have families. I can also imagine that some may want to engage in "conquests".
Adventurer mode cuts away during boring interludes that the player doesn't need to see (fast travel, chopping down trees, building houses). Sex can very easily be covered in the same way.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: December 13, 2021, 04:06:26 am »

@Mr_Crabman:
According to my understanding of what Toady has said that is NOT the current plan. Instead, a "character based" UI is intended to be implemented with its own widgets emulating the "graphic" ones, but that this development won't be started until the "graphic" widgets are finalized (or nearly so), in order not to waste time on developing emulations of things that didn't work out.

@Shonai_Dweller:
Yes, I agree the physical sex act can reasonably be handled in that way, but not the path to it. At the absolute minimum for there to be any such activity (in Adventure Mode), there has to be some dialog where interest in the activity is expressed and an agreement is reached (which typically is a longer process than a direct question/direct answer in the real world, as far as I understand). Rape doesn't have to involve any dialog, but it's unlikely that would be included (and I see no reason why it should be, anyway), and even then there would have to be an order to (try to) commit the crime.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: December 13, 2021, 05:16:01 am »

@Mr_Crabman:
According to my understanding of what Toady has said that is NOT the current plan. Instead, a "character based" UI is intended to be implemented with its own widgets emulating the "graphic" ones, but that this development won't be started until the "graphic" widgets are finalized (or nearly so), in order not to waste time on developing emulations of things that didn't work out.

Oh, I misunderstood your question then; I thought you were asking whether the UI would be the same layout and programmed the same, but using "character-based" graphical tiles instead (as opposed to the classic UI we have now staying).

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: December 13, 2021, 10:16:11 am »

@Shonai_Dweller:
Yes, I agree the physical sex act can reasonably be handled in that way, but not the path to it. At the absolute minimum for there to be any such activity (in Adventure Mode), there has to be some dialog where interest in the activity is expressed and an agreement is reached (which typically is a longer process than a direct question/direct answer in the real world, as far as I understand). Rape doesn't have to involve any dialog, but it's unlikely that would be included (and I see no reason why it should be, anyway), and even then there would have to be an order to (try to) commit the crime.

Another thing to add is that male and female are too oversimplistically represented in terms of male and female luer taper locks (to use a metaphor), if you add a intermediary creature as a marriageable partner, is a nice storybook kind of romance maybe the likes of a attractive mermaid/man as in IRL folklore, but anything the player could add with a uncontrolled MALE/FEMALE can seriously throw a spanner into the works when you have inanimate sponges giving birth to dwarves (when not on highfantasy mythgen i guess) If you dont count subspecies tokenization, for ensuring a adequate fit for your leur-lock. Not even going into the arguement in whether a Human and a Gorlak might have a humpty-dumpty skeletoned baby in genetics as a body-setting nightmare unless its ofc all pre-creature defined.

I definitely think over-activity or abuse will be curtailed if its not just turned off in the game configurations by default, its a liability if you leave it in a state that makes it hard to play in countries that closely observe content. I assume DF has to actually pass a review by the age ratings committee now its on steam with notice if something changes, unless there's a "expanded interactions" dlc, which some other titles use (Most prominent to mind is Total War's blood splatter) to effectively sidestep and keep the ratings accessible.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: December 13, 2021, 11:43:54 am »

I mean, the way I imagine Toady would implement this is that at some point you'll be able to decide your adventurer's orientation when making them, like the rest of their personality and characteristics. At that point you can have some cute fun romance stuff if you want to start a relationship and have the AI figure out what to do when not directly controlled. Not much of an intractable problem.

The real horror will be the procedurally generated love poetry.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: December 14, 2021, 06:09:37 pm »

Oh God, I hope love poems are just a performance art like regular poetry is, where the poetic style is described and how well you're doing is too but you don't have to actually listen to it.

You know what? Just make sexual intercourse a dance. You already have the dance mechanic, where parties interested stand in a pattern and pretend to dance. Then commentary could be "you have no idea what you're doing" instead of "you are dancing terribly." And onlookers can tell you "you make my ex look good! Hah!" Just need to invite specific individuals to join you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4328 on: December 15, 2021, 02:55:19 am »

The real horror will be the procedurally generated love poetry.
I'll one up that. Procedurally generated sex positions. Named after creatures in the world. Granted that might just loop back around to being funny when the game generates something like "the upward dwarf position" or the "the sideways forgotten beast position".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 02:58:32 am by ZM5 »

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4329 on: December 15, 2021, 03:15:45 am »

Everyone, please remember that this is the Future-of-the-Fortress thread.  Redirect suggestions to the corresponding subforum.

I may as well ask a thought I had the other day, while thinking about the new style for military patrols:  How will notes (as in, tile markers) work with the premium version?  Will they be using text symbols, abstract symbols, or actual sprites?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: December 16, 2021, 02:32:00 pm »

Below is the raws for plump helmets, but what I don't understand is, what is the deal with the MUSHROOM material? It's not used in another token (like the SEED, STRUCTURAL and DRINK materials are). so what's going on with it? This is incidentally, the only place in the raws that MUSHROOM_TEMPLATE is used (not even plump helmet men or dimple cups), making it even more mysterious.

Code: [Select]
[PLANT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP]
[NAME:plump helmet][NAME_PLURAL:plump helmets][ADJ:plump helmet]

Every plant needs a structural material so that the game knows how it behaves when it's alive.

Here the material is added to the plant, using a template from the material file.
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:DRINK_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]

Here the material is marked as the structural material (this could be below the edible tags which come next).  In general, you can use LOCAL_PLANT_MAT|<token>, PLANT_MAT|<plant>|<token>, CREATURE_MAT|<creature>|<token> or INORGANIC|IRON (though the game might hiccup for a while specifically on plants that aren't structurally plants).
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]

We also modify it a bit to make the plant edible.  Any token material can be used here to modify the material that was created from the template.
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MUSHROOM:MUSHROOM_TEMPLATE]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PICKED_TILE:6][PICKED_COLOR:5:0:0]
[GROWDUR:300][VALUE:2]

Next we establish an alcohol material in much the same way as the structural material.

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
The material template is just called "alcohol" so we need to give it a proper name.
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen dwarven wine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:dwarven wine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling dwarven wine]
We also set a few more numbers to distinguish the alcohol from the template.
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:5:0:0]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]

The seed material and information is established in a similar fashion.  Other plants (including trees) add materials in the same way, though trees cannot be used at this time with seeds/thread/drink etc.  They just use the TREE tag to obtain a wood material (they also have a structural material for their live form).

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:plump helmet spawn:plump helmet spawn:4:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:rounded tops]
[WET][DRY]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]
[SHRUB_TILE:58]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:58]
[SHRUB_COLOR:5:0:0]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:0:0:1]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 02:33:35 pm by Mr_Crabman »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: December 17, 2021, 05:28:55 am »

I've just watched the Embark Screen video of the 16:th of December:

I failed to see any world tile border indications in the video. Does that mean you can actually have embarks straddling borders of world tiles?

Regardless, as someone who always enables grids whenever possible in games, I'd suggest the introduction of an option to show world tile and intermediate tile boundaries at least (character mode probably doesn't need a grid at the one tile per tile scale, but I'd still want to know where the world tile boundaries are for the zoomed in mode).

If nothing else, a grid would help answering the inevitable question of players why half of the single biome embark suddenly freezes over while the other half doesn't for a world tile straddling embark (and, conversely, it can be used to deliberately seek out straddling, for various effects).

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: December 19, 2021, 05:05:48 pm »

I have a few more questions:

- Why are good wetlands blue instead of cyan?
- Is it true that the difference between primordial and circumstantial evil regions is that primordial ones appear as dark red/gray, and circumstantial ones appear as light/dark magenta?
- Are there any plans to have flora or fauna unique to anti-savage regions?

How do i use sigtext properly?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4333 on: December 19, 2021, 06:07:23 pm »

- Is it true that the difference between primordial and circumstantial evil regions is that primordial ones appear as dark red/gray, and circumstantial ones appear as light/dark magenta?

I’m not sure what the qualifiers are (if any, they might be random) but magenta evil biomes have been around since long before evil biome spread.

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: December 19, 2021, 08:36:13 pm »

[M]agenta evil biomes have been around since long before evil biome spread.

Interesting.  What about the dark red/gray ones?

How do i use sigtext properly?
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 389