Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 390

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2891494 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4335 on: December 20, 2021, 12:56:46 am »

[M]agenta evil biomes have been around since long before evil biome spread.

Interesting.  What about the dark red/gray ones?

They have been there since before too (this version of the article is from September 2019, evil biome spread was introduced in 0.47.01, January 2020). Since I still can’t tell you the criteria I suppose they could have changed to being based on something new; regardless it is probably faster to try out yourself than waiting for the end of the month.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: December 20, 2021, 06:02:26 am »

[M]agenta evil biomes have been around since long before evil biome spread.

Interesting.  What about the dark red/gray ones?

I'm reasonably sure it's just based on biome.

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: December 20, 2021, 06:40:01 pm »

They have been there since before too (this version of the article is from September 2019, evil biome spread was introduced in 0.47.01, January 2020). Since I still can’t tell you the criteria I suppose they could have changed to being based on something new; regardless it is probably faster to try out yourself than waiting for the end of the month.
I'm reasonably sure it's just based on biome.

Alright then.

How do i use sigtext properly?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: December 21, 2021, 07:49:47 am »

Currently Demons, boogeymen etc. are bound to evil spheres like darkness, death, horror. And good creatures are biased to Light and Life spheres. Is it possible in the future M&M mechanic to have the opposite? For example light creatures are terrorizing common folks and dark creatures are good and helpful.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: December 21, 2021, 10:12:40 am »

Currently Demons, boogeymen etc. are bound to evil spheres like darkness, death, horror. And good creatures are biased to Light and Life spheres. Is it possible in the future M&M mechanic to have the opposite? For example light creatures are terrorizing common folks and dark creatures are good and helpful.

It seems likely, especially for light and darkness, since those don't really have any intrinsic moral aspect to them, we just associate dark with evil because [dark = can't see = scary dangerous things], and light banishes that darkness. Darkness could easily be good and helpful, and light could easily be bad (see 90% of all JRPG's, and also Bayonetta).

Some spheres seem like a challenge to make them vary between worlds though; take the spheres "misery" and "torture" for example, how could a being representing those be anything but evil and hostile? Their very association with those spheres implies gaining benefit from/spreading/proliferating misery and pain, which are inherently negative for anyone who experiences them.

It's way easier to twist "good" spheres into being evil though; "happiness" for example, but at the cost of all other values; you could imagine a happiness demon that wants to make everyone into mindless lotus eaters with no concerns about anything that happens around them.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: December 21, 2021, 01:19:19 pm »

I just got to thinking something:  In 0.34.07, mining was changed so that mining out a tile of ordinary stone had a 25% chance of producing a loose stone.  At the same time, the yield of the “make rock blocks” reaction was changed to produce four blocks from each stone instead of the one block it had previously produced.  Why weren’t other reactions that use ordinary stone (such as reactions for stone furniture or stone crafts) changed to increase their yields?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: December 21, 2021, 06:22:56 pm »

A question related to the latest video.
How will elevation be shown on the new embark screen? Will it be the same as classic version but changing the whole map?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: December 22, 2021, 04:11:55 am »

Will the current pathfinding bug be fixed? The one when if you have several digging designations one above another miners run up and down constantly to dig portions of halls instead of just digging one of them and then move to another.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: December 22, 2021, 11:09:13 am »

Are some of the features/capabilities from the likes of community tools such as "Legends Viewer" and "Legends Browser" on the table for the official legends mode for the Steam release?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: December 22, 2021, 03:58:47 pm »

I believe hyperlinks are on the table for Legends Mode.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: December 24, 2021, 06:11:15 pm »

1. About what you said in your latest devlog:
Mods store version compatibility information, so saves should be able to update their mods if the authors provide when they release new versions. I've also generally restructured the data and raw folders so that more of the text files are encompassed in the object/mod system.

Do you mean that the mods can store information about compatibility with their own previous versions? Or is "version compatability information" referring to compatibility with different versions of DF?

2. Is there more to come for modding/save changes beyond what's been completed already/covered in this devlog?

EDIT:

3. Oh, speaking of mod version compatibility, assuming it's about save compatibility with previous mod versions, how would a mod author know if their mod is save compatible (trying out their mod updates would probably reveal this, but I have a deeper question kind of)?

As far as I know, currently, lots of changes (particularly adding objects, and basically all ENTITY changes) won't actually work in existing saves (because for instance, new creatures need to be populated at the start of worldgen to actually show up), but won't cause an existing save to break (so someone can update the mod even if they won't get all the benefits), whereas some changes will break existing saves (the only ones I know of are removing objects and changing body parts: https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=1271).

So basically, what kind of mod updates other than changing body parts or removing object IDs will break/destabilize a save? (if you expect this answer to change due to more modding/raw changes, you may as well wait until it's finalized to answer this)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 04:23:54 am by Mr Crabman »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4346 on: December 25, 2021, 09:57:47 am »

Very excited about the mod/raw changes in the latest devlog. Considering you're farther along in an adjacent topic, do you know now if Steam Workshop support will be available at the initial release, or whether that's something to fiddle with after?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: December 26, 2021, 05:45:22 pm »

If modifications are done to the vanilla raw/objects folder directly instead of packed into a mod zip file, does the game treat them like theyre vanilla objects, and then additional mods are applied on top of those per the load order?

Do you yet have a means of handling mod conflicts, for instance if two mods both modify creature_standard.txt? Are you open to suggestions on ways to handle or reduce conflicts? I had a few immediate ideas actually
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #4348 on: December 26, 2021, 09:07:50 pm »

Do you yet have a means of handling mod conflicts, for instance if two mods both modify creature_standard.txt? Are you open to suggestions on ways to handle or reduce conflicts? I had a few immediate ideas actually

Quote from: Toady One
When you create a world, you can set a load order from among the mods that are installed on your computer, including the vanilla objects.

one would assume this means that mods can overwrite changes made by another mod earlier in the load order.
we would be very interested to hear your ideas though

ruiruirui

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: December 28, 2021, 11:36:09 am »

Oh mighty Frog! blessings upon us. just passing here to say MERRY XMAS and you are doing a great job.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 390