Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2911771 times)

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4365 on: January 04, 2022, 04:01:08 am »

You should edit your question to have lime green text like this; that makes it easier for Toady to quickly spot what is a question directed at him.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: January 09, 2022, 08:46:10 pm »

There’s a bit of a discussion going on in one of the threads in the suggestions forum as to the meaning and origin of the phrase “fey mood” in relation to strange moods.  Could you provide any elucidation?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

DoomsdayWeapon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Daeryabaar
« Reply #4367 on: January 12, 2022, 08:10:08 am »

Some graphics related questions:

1. The transition between z-levels and ramps still look a bit jarring to me. Are there any plans to add graphics or add shadows to destinguish levels from each other?
2. Looking at the new workshop design I'm curious: Are they single graphics or are they compositions? So - if I changed the graphics of the Lever, would that also change how the Lever on the Mechanics workshop looks?
3. I have to know: Will bars, grates and glass be see-through, so I could see what's below?
And then there was ... I

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: January 12, 2022, 09:30:14 pm »

In the steam & classic versions, when a tile contains multiple creatures/items, will they still cycle (or flash) to show their presence as they currently do?
I hope so!
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4369 on: January 13, 2022, 07:00:00 am »

There’s a bit of a discussion going on in one of the threads in the suggestions forum as to the meaning and origin of the phrase “fey mood” in relation to strange moods.  Could you provide any elucidation?

You may want to expand on that yourself - I believe it's been mostly asked and answered? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179415.msg8343301#msg8343301

TranquilRiverGiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: January 14, 2022, 06:26:48 pm »

Currently in adventure mode the game performance struggles in human cities: the many characters in the area cause the game to lag, making it hard to play. However there are a lot of cool features in the game located in cities: taverns, catacombs, dungeons. Will the in-city performance be optimized by the steam release?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: January 14, 2022, 07:12:28 pm »

You may want to expand on that yourself - I believe it's been mostly asked and answered? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=179415.msg8343301#msg8343301

Yes, but the answer given in that thread might (or might not) be correct.  That’s why I’m asking here.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: January 15, 2022, 04:21:37 am »

I noticed that dragonflies are incorrectly represented in game as having two wings, as opposed to four. This led me to realize that there is no default body plan for creatures that possess four wings. [BODY:4WINGS] isn't included in the vanilla raws.

Upon further investigation, I was surprised to learn that of the very few insects that received sponsored requests during the animal sponsorship drive, that one particular insect, the damselfly, actually features a four winged body plan, however the game only represents damselflies as having two wings.

Are there any plans to update the game files so as to provide the other two wings to creatures who naturally possess four? For reference:

@Mr Crabman 
...Sometimes, as seems to be the case here, people dump their questions and run. So, this is just me properly colouring, fixing, and keeping things on track, since dikbutdagrate didn't seem to bother with that at all.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:25:59 am by Silverwing235 »

El_Stono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: January 15, 2022, 03:08:59 pm »

Are there plans to merge or change the useless and rarely used professions (milker, shearer, etc.)? I know that you said changing them would destroy saves, but I wanted to know if a change like that is likely if old saves won't work in the steam version anyway because of some other changes in the code.
Also, are you going to rebalance prices? Wax crafts and mead for instance are very labor intensive and pottery uses a lot of resources, but they are pretty much not worth the hassle compared to stone or metal crafts. Prepared meals on the other hand are an incredibly easy way to get rich. I know that more work not does not always equal a higher price in a real market and perfect balancing of that would be a bit game-y, but honey and wax were very sought-after commodities in medieval times.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: January 16, 2022, 05:10:13 am »

Gelders are useful to keep the damnable cats under control (although drawbridges work as an alternative, and females can't be gelded), shearers provide you with wool (which you need for moods, even if you won't bother using it for clothing). I personally won't bother with milking because I'm too lazy to write a script that manages it (and buckets are in short supply for a very long time), but it is useful to provide favorite food ingredients, as well as cheese (although you probably don't need as many cheese makers as you get via migrant waves).
Mashing roles (or professions, if you like) into fewer ones takes away control from those who want it, while only saving (some) players a few role selections when organizing dorfs. If you go the main (Premium release) route and let the game try to organize labor it won't matter at all if roles are specific or mashed into a small number of combination roles since you won't touch it anyway.

Prices will probably remain essentially untouched until the economy arc, which lies beyond Myth&Magic, and probably also Starting Scenarios (and not ruling out other arcs beyond those, and definitely not ruling out tangent arcs). Whether economy, which relies on transport, or moving terrain (which provides boats) that has close ties to the economy comes first seems to be something Toady is deliberating over. Anyway, if no decision is made about the order, there's a fair while before a coin toss is necessary to finally settle on that order.

El_Stono

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: January 16, 2022, 02:43:17 pm »

Gelders are useful to keep the damnable cats under control (although drawbridges work as an alternative, and females can't be gelded), shearers provide you with wool (which you need for moods, even if you won't bother using it for clothing). I personally won't bother with milking because I'm too lazy to write a script that manages it (and buckets are in short supply for a very long time), but it is useful to provide favorite food ingredients, as well as cheese (although you probably don't need as many cheese makers as you get via migrant waves).
Mashing roles (or professions, if you like) into fewer ones takes away control from those who want it, while only saving (some) players a few role selections when organizing dorfs. If you go the main (Premium release) route and let the game try to organize labor it won't matter at all if roles are specific or mashed into a small number of combination roles since you won't touch it anyway.
Let's say a 'Rancher' profession replaces gelder, shearer and milker. The jobs and the way we use them would stay the same, so if no milking job is started, no dwarf will do it. A dwarf with this skill would be more useful, that's my point. I also think that improving the job organisation is not necessary, especially with the new system. But my example doesn't really matter, I'll just rephrase my question:
Are there plans to change professions with the steam release?

TranquilRiverGiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: January 16, 2022, 04:14:57 pm »

Just curious as to why the "Cull unimportant historical figures" option in world gen is so CPU intensive. Is it doing a simple check to see whether dead historical figures have led important lives, and if not flagging them for removal, or is does it attempt to retcon their lives to be a bit more important?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: January 16, 2022, 10:57:04 pm »

Fey means having a sense of nebulous otherworldliness, like you might ascribe to a person who suddenly dropped everything and started babbling about some legendary thing they're going to create.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: January 17, 2022, 12:40:22 am »

Fey means having a sense of nebulous otherworldliness, like you might ascribe to a person who suddenly dropped everything and started babbling about some legendary thing they're going to create.

Ok… that’s three (3) possible meanings now… 🤔

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: January 17, 2022, 04:00:18 am »

@El_Stono: You don't have to ask Toady the same question twice.
Your "rancher" example shows exactly why mashing things together is bad, as it means you cannot control shearing of animals in parallel with milking animals. Sure, you can hope two dorfs assigned the same "profession" would separate the tasks, but it's out of your control, and they may just as well compete over the same task instead, so to get that wool you need for a strange mood you have to disable the milking job, rather than make sure the dorf you assign to this critical task doesn't have any competing "professions" enabled.
If you want a dorf who's got gelding shearing, and milking enabled, go ahead and assign it, but just because you find that to be a convenient combination doesn't mean others shouldn't be allowed to have different preferences. I, for one, have gelding assigned to everyone so those damned cats are dealt with promptly when needed without having to fuss about who does it, whether they're on leave, military duty, etc. I believe Dwarf Therapist allows you to define your own job combinations for that kind of personalized ease of use, but that's a third party tool.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 391