Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850858 times)

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4515 on: May 26, 2022, 02:32:50 pm »

What gameplay value does it add to have so many different kinds of stone, wood, vermin, gems, etc. when most of them are, for many practical purposes, exactly the same?  How does this help to make the game more fun?

How do i use sigtext properly?

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: May 27, 2022, 09:26:26 am »

When the second villain release is complete, what will the requirements be for a dwarf that dreams of ruling the world to be recognized as their dream having been achieved?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4517 on: May 27, 2022, 10:23:51 am »

What gameplay value does it add to have so many different kinds of stone, wood, vermin, gems, etc. when most of them are, for many practical purposes, exactly the same?  How does this help to make the game more fun?

It adds to the flavor, which is arguably separate from pure gameplay, but also contributes to an enjoyable experience. Stuff like setting red tourmalines in the eyes of your volcano god statue, and indigo tourmalines in the one of the night goddess, is fun.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: May 27, 2022, 10:48:56 am »

It adds to the flavor, which is arguably separate from pure gameplay, but also contributes to an enjoyable experience. Stuff like setting red tourmalines in the eyes of your volcano god statue, and indigo tourmalines in the one of the night goddess, is fun.

There are modifications that set out to streamline things like this though, as with a bit of clever editing you can route the products of animals/people to a generic type (takes technical effort, commonly creature variations or CV's for short) and simplified wood/metals more broadly displayed without really affecting their impact aesthetically, like converting all appletree logs into "hardwood"

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: May 27, 2022, 04:39:33 pm »

But that is valuable to gameplay, because color is a significant, albeit minor, change.  However, in many cases, there aren't even significant differences like that.

[Snipped from above.]

There are modifications that set out to streamline things like this though, as with a bit of clever editing you can route the products of animals/people to a generic type (takes technical effort, commonly creature variations or CV's for short) and simplified wood/metals more broadly displayed without really affecting their impact aesthetically, like converting all appletree logs into "hardwood"

What are those modifications?  Also, surely there must be some stuff that they can't simplify because it's hardcoded, right?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 04:41:45 pm by BlueManedHawk »

How do i use sigtext properly?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: May 27, 2022, 06:48:09 pm »

[Snipped from above.]

What are those modifications?  Also, surely there must be some stuff that they can't simplify because it's hardcoded, right?

Yeah there's stuff that regular modding and RAW token ingenuity has to methodically put together (which is the majority of accessibility to the mentioned systems), but advancements though DFhack are always slightly lifting the roof, such as the ability to tie up scripts to custom tokens rather than execute them seperately are making the modding scene faster in small increments, though its not a popular rollout yet.

Probably unreliably asking for specific sources is going to mean ill have to remember off the top of my head, there was 1 very good comprehensive material mod in the masterwork modification that simplified wood and a few other things (to make up for adding a lot of other stuff) and brolol's dog mod has the example im thinking of for animals, for a 'catch-all' animal being the source of a lot referenced products, (dog meat, dog hide, instead of beagle meat, poodle bones etc) while a script ensures it doesn't end up in the worldgen food-chain.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4521 on: May 28, 2022, 02:29:55 am »

Are the settings ThreeToe talked about in this devlog post the same as the ones in init.txt and d_init.txt, but with some more control over difficulty? Or will those settings have their own (in-game) menu?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: May 28, 2022, 08:45:44 am »

When buying off Goblins with an Artifact, do original books count?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4523 on: May 28, 2022, 08:53:30 am »

I can't remember if this has been asked before or not - but in regards to the music, is there gonna be support for situational music changes? I.e megabeast fight or siege in fort mode (maybe different tracks depending on the megabeast or sieging faction, same for adventure mode megabeast/night creature fights), fading out when shifting back to "peace" mode?

squamous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: May 28, 2022, 03:04:22 pm »

Are there any factors besides ethical differences that impact the size of a civ's armies and/or war frequency? I've been genning a large humans-only world with multiple civs of differing ethics and I've noticed there seems to be a lot less fighting than what the population of civilizations should lead to, and I wonder if there might be any factors that I'm missing.
I make huge and comprehensive overhaul mods, consider supporting me on Patreon so I can do this full-time:
https://www.patreon.com/themodsmith
Have questions? Need to report bugs? Post them in the discord:  https://discord.gg/dGzGr5svS2

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: May 30, 2022, 02:19:47 pm »

Do undead peasants still show up in sieges? If not, why? If so, why dont they outnumber the actual soldiers considering necromancers probably shouldn’t be sending all soldiers when they’re primarily taking hamlets down.

Why do dragons take 1000 years to mature? They don’t typically survive that long in worldgen and actually breeding them in dwarf mode seems… slow. It just seems odd when compared to rocs 20 years to max size.

Are there any plans for minor raw changes before the steam update? Basically stuff like animal men into animal people. For clarity between a porcupine animal men man and a porcupine animal man woman as an example

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 02:22:00 pm by WereDragon »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: May 30, 2022, 05:03:57 pm »

There's a pretty good current reddit thread about problems with how necromancers work now.

As you're looking at difficulty options, what changes are planned for necromancers?
Team Bug Fix!

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: May 30, 2022, 09:20:52 pm »

There's a pretty good current reddit thread about problems with how necromancers work now.

As you're looking at difficulty options, what changes are planned for necromancers?

On this specifically, would it be worthwhile to both make having any sort of undead affiliation (necromancer and undead both) more implicitly hostile to living entities, and also for living undead/necromancer-created monsters to better purge their preexisting affiliations to be more implicitly hostile? I definitely noticed in my campaigns way too many flavors of undead something-or-others milling about casually, which doesn't seem quite right.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: May 31, 2022, 01:55:02 am »

A quick question about world-gen…

Why does the line that says “Forming lakes…” change to “Forming lakes and minerals…”?  What is going on there?  I’ve searched both the wiki and the forums, but I can’t seem to find an answer.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: May 31, 2022, 08:29:56 am »

Quick question about the recent devlog

Maybe its too soon to say with the changes to nobles but: Regarding there are 2 types of nobles, [ELECTED] and [LAND_HOLDER] (occasionally a modded instance will mix the two) do [RULES_FROM_LOCATION] & [ELECTED] individuals such as mayors still count towards the caravan changes if you wanted a 'Republic' kind of fortress playstyle or wanted to stall nobles from appearing through conversing with the outpost liason.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 389