Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850289 times)

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4590 on: June 12, 2022, 09:45:41 pm »

I was in the object testing arena playing around with melee ranged hybrids and i ran into some issues, but it got me thinking (the issue was there are no quivers in there but anyway)

Will the object testing arena be in the first release?

As an extension, will i be able to make and save presets (grand master axedwarf with all relevant skills and full armor as an example) itd make repeated testing nice, one 5v5 can be misleading

When a dwarf has a crossbow they try to stay back, when they have a melee weapon they tend to rush the enemy, how do they behave when they have both?

What makes crossbows such a bad melee weapon?  (gave a steel one to a bronze colossus and they only bruised their victims to death yikes that’s ineffective)

Ive seen dwarves parry arrows, how good are they at it at comparative skill levels when compared to a shield

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: June 12, 2022, 10:28:16 pm »

What makes crossbows such a bad melee weapon?  (gave a steel one to a bronze colossus and they only bruised their victims to death yikes that’s ineffective)
The huge contact area for the blunt attack of a crossbow - 10,000 vs a war hammer at 10 or a mace at 20 - it's no better than hitting them with a light weight stick. The low mass and slow speed don't help any.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: June 13, 2022, 03:35:59 am »

The huge contact area for the blunt attack of a crossbow - 10,000 vs a war hammer at 10 or a mace at 20 - it's no better than hitting them with a light weight stick. The low mass and slow speed don't help any.

Best effect might be maximum velocity launch through a minecart in any given case, as unlike mauls with also a whiffle bat "too big to use" radius, the crossbow is always programmed to shoot when put in a weapon-trap, rather than do a mechanically twirled and fixed speed melee-smack.

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: June 13, 2022, 12:26:17 pm »

Will there ever be Randomly generated Martial Arts? Will dwarven children ever play-spar with each other and get combat experience?

Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: June 13, 2022, 01:42:36 pm »

Will there ever be Randomly generated Martial Arts? Will dwarven children ever play-spar with each other and get combat experience?

I think fighting styles has turned up on the old roadmap at one point, but the randomly generated everything is a bit of a broad leap to spring out of a question not really aimed at the current next development (might be more army arc, which we are gradually drifting towards given the emphasis on combat).

Most real martial arts have a principle in founding, so i assume multiple dwarves could discover and accreddit special fighting moves like how scholars do discoveries but that's just me talking, i dont know what Toady would think of this question.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: June 13, 2022, 05:17:11 pm »

I don't know about future plans, but if you're interested in Dwarven fighting techniques, this thread is great:
Kisat Dur: the Dwarven Martial Art

Given the wide array of combat options, I suppose it's in a large part, up to the player to create or follow a particular fighting style.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 05:18:53 pm by Schmaven »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4596 on: June 14, 2022, 07:37:16 am »

Have the artists recovered enough of the art to do a showcase video any time soon? I found those were both very enjoyable and gave a clear image of how the GUI worked in practice. :)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: June 14, 2022, 01:00:58 pm »

Very eloquent development log, lot to chew over, so here's a question i had rattling around about it.

Quote from: question for Toady
Q: Regarding the groundwork of "religious hunting orders", will they avoid forming in the death religion* or will a alternative explanation like ethical legality on necromancy/nightcreatures be introduced to motivate their behaviours?
  • Since the main proprietor of give & take for slabs (creating devoted followers who raise & destroy the undead) is the god itself as the source. Seems good for making bodies, but not for a clear view of what the sphere would now represent.

Without trying to be suggestiony, 'Undeath' might be a more apt sphere description for what we have in its place at the moment, as its a perversion of death and the values of burial, mortality & funerary practices.

Urist McSadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: June 15, 2022, 05:46:30 am »

1.Right now necromancers can attack your fort at any time if you are close enough. Is that intentional?
2.What changes to traps can we expect before magic?
3.Will mothers stop bringing their babies to battle in the near future?
4.Do you plan to implement proper civil wars, and if yes, when would that be?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: June 15, 2022, 02:04:00 pm »

1.Right now necromancers can attack your fort at any time if you are close enough. Is that intentional?
2.What changes to traps can we expect before magic?
3.Will mothers stop bringing their babies to battle in the near future?
4.Do you plan to implement proper civil wars, and if yes, when would that be?

1) to take a guess at Toady's reply, i figure its not but it might be compounded into the "irritation" mechanic in the future or pilled with the additional new-player friendly tweaks. Theres a difference between wandering undead though dispersed from a overfull tower, raised from the ground and actual armies of undead though which are handed weapons from a anamalous source (presumably a lot of looting)

2) I don't think traps are a focus of the next few arcs, but there are moving fortress parts & mechanisms arcs in seperate arcs beyond that, and hopefully the map rewrite can open up design space for more inventive traps, such as having physical cavities in the cieling to drop rocks etc/tracks giant rolling stones. Depends what we get.

3) This issue got highlighted when babies hijacked the raw implementation of mount code to drive their mothers along which took baby-carrying to a new level, i think at the time Toady did say something about nursuries but im not sure if its on schedule for this pass at the graphical arc, there are child-chores (a new feature in the upcoming version) so there's some hope it may end up addressed.

4) I imagine about the Law arc where the framework for entities recieves a rewrite, but lets see what toady says.

LordL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: June 16, 2022, 11:12:38 am »

So recently I played a lot of Frogcomposband which is a variant of Angband roguelike game. It has stupid amount of characters that you can play and one of possibilities is playing as a magical ring. You start the game lying on the ground near small outpost and you wait until some monster picks you up so that you can control them. You can absorb the power of other rings (and also amulets) that you find and gain new spells. Later on you can also deliberately charm monsters but keep in mind that they can betray you and if that happens they may try to destroy you (you are actually not the One ring so fire  of Mt. Doom is not even necessary, in fact on low level a couple raven bites can be enough).

So the question is: have you ever thought of playing as an intelligent magical artifact?

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: June 17, 2022, 04:09:20 pm »

Last, the most important question:

How's Scamps doing? What's he up to?

That, I can explain. Just discovered myself - the junior Linux programmer got lymphoma'd off the team, as unfortunate as it is. (Yeah, I know that "two lines of code, that didn't compile way back when", doesn't exactly a Linux programmer make, but, work with me here? :) )

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:36:35 am by Silverwing235 »

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 17, 2022, 04:17:50 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: June 17, 2022, 04:51:49 pm »

I have not been on the forum here in a long time, mostly getting my news from reddit now instead.  I heard about what happened to Scamps and figured I would come here directly for old time's sake to say I'm sorry for your loss. 

I remember when Threetoe and Toady first told us of Scamps and he was a loved member of the community from day one.  He will be missed.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #4604 on: June 17, 2022, 05:15:46 pm »

as someone whose own cat of 14+ years passed away this week, please accept my deepest condolences.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 389