Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851684 times)

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4680 on: July 16, 2022, 05:06:54 pm »

Which version of C++ is Dwarf Fortress written in?

How do i use sigtext properly?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: July 16, 2022, 09:23:28 pm »

It's been 20 years in the making ... so ... all of them.
DF is some combination of C and C++, not in some kind of standard obeying way, but sort of a mess that’s accreted over time.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: July 19, 2022, 06:28:20 am »

Sorry if it's been asked elsewhere, I couldn't find anything after a brief search:

Has any function for right-clicking been implemented?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: July 19, 2022, 03:45:26 pm »

C++11 at least, since I seem to recall a comment on the usage of auto.

It's been 20 years in the making ... so ... all of them.
DF is some combination of C and C++, not in some kind of standard obeying way, but sort of a mess that’s accreted over time.

Certain stuff in C++ just ain't backwards compatible. I've tried updating Cataclysm DDA to C++17 and it's daunting.

BreadnRoses

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: July 20, 2022, 05:37:35 pm »

I'm very excited about the Steam release for many reason but one will be the mods.
There seem to always be "quality of life" mods which come out and I was wondering what the policy would be on if these mods get adopted into the game?
I realize DF is probably a deeply cherished personal project but I also know that the devs have things they'd rather work on.
Has this been given any thought or an answer? Thanks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: July 21, 2022, 01:54:54 am »

I'm very excited about the Steam release for many reason but one will be the mods.
There seem to always be "quality of life" mods which come out and I was wondering what the policy would be on if these mods get adopted into the game?
I realize DF is probably a deeply cherished personal project but I also know that the devs have things they'd rather work on.
Has this been given any thought or an answer? Thanks.

Questions for Toady in green!

Toady has always been reluctant to incorporate mods directly into DF, for legal/financial reasons, and with DF becoming legally sold as a product on Steam that's going to be even less likely. But, things that are good ideas and "low hanging fruit" tend to get added eventually, just not as they may have appeared in mods.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4686 on: July 21, 2022, 03:02:21 am »

From my experience it is mostly mods of the DF Hack kind making it in, like the manager improvements some year ago and now auto-labor in the upcoming release. It has been a while afaik since any content was added to the raws that could already be with the existing tokens. The closest and most recent would be when they got community help to add the remaining wood densities.

Though that said they have different tools for adding stuff, instead of tweaking stress propensity values in the raws they can rework the stress system itself. Or instead of making all aquatic creatures live-birthers they could fix the issue of nest boxes not working underwater (if that is still an issue, it has been sometime according to Modest Mod).

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: July 21, 2022, 05:56:23 am »

They're always really reluctant to "steal" other people's designs (as I've learned trying to push them to wholesale adopt PatrickLundell's embark-assistant) but fortunately often there is only really one good solution to game design issues.

From the screenshots we've seen, it looks like many cool things are coming in, and there will be room for many more cool things to come in from the community through DFhack and the Steam Workshop. The DFhack team have been working hard the last month or so preparing to support Premium, which is very cool!
Team Bug Fix!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: July 22, 2022, 03:01:17 am »

Firstly, I thought the fact that DFHack is built on DF as a community project out to mean that anything in there would be not only permitted to be included into DF itself, but rather encouraged. In my view, there's no higher praise than to get your ideas incorporated into the project itself.

When it comes to the Embark Assistant, its design is based on DF's find function that's then expanded upon based on what various people may want to search for. The ideal state of affairs would be that it was made redundant as DF provided all the functionality in its finder. Thus, I'd be delighted to see all or some of the functionality incorporated in the game.

When on the train of trying to push utilities into the game, tweak_map.lua is a script that acts as an alternative to the built in (and hopelessly useless mouse only driven) World Painter. The key difference is that apart from allowing the user to set PSV values, it also allows the player to specify the biome, at which point it adjusts the affected PSV values to about the middle of the range. In addition to allowing players to select biomes (among the legal ones for the latitude), it also displays the current biome (using letter coding, but tiles would allow that to be done using biome tiles). If there's any logic in the script or ideas in it that would be useful in a brand new World Painter, feel free to use it. Scrapping a utility because it's no longer needed is good indeed.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: July 22, 2022, 04:06:50 am »

Previously when you had shown the hyperlinks, figures and entities were coloured according to their kind.
Does this colouring carry over to statue and engraving descriptions in fortress mode?

Do functional hyperlinks?
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: July 22, 2022, 07:50:28 pm »

Just finished reading the spoilerific Zachpost over the main page, I think i got the jist of it.  ;D

Just the nitpicky one thing i want to pick up on though, question directed at Toady or Threetoe in this instance: If the caravan limit triggers have been altered, will suddenly losing the contents before they leave the map still cause as significant a relationship rift or has the tolerance/mechanics behind trade-relations been changed?

Because forcibly-small caravans running aground to adverse conditions and simple wildlife encounters getting too close seems like perfect-storm noob entanglement that's going to cause players issues; when the home civ attacks and ceases further relations for no apparent reason than the loss of traded capital with the fort fronting the blame (many times also hard to diagnose, and taking scripting than any ingame mechanism to fix). Typically a fortress's starting trust relations close to 0'ish in the first caravan is usually vital to direct diplomacy with any nation they interact with in 47.05 and many preceding versions.

2. Is first contact more formal in the planned new release, or can you still send delegations of unwashed dwarves applying demanding tribute missions to contact traders across the continent? The mentioned already used strategy would probably be more effective in the new build because of how better the UI is for trade/caravan mangement in general.

3. And co-joint question on the same topic as trade: does this open back up the path to the merchant nobility returning to the game in more force than just offmap merchant companies?

Probably just me overthinking it, but i am amused by the idea of a spymaster like noble who writes up little scribble money schemes, pays off legitimate hired goons and handles greater money loanlending (if spymaster ever gets completed to compare that imagined role to)

Ill be honest though, some parts of it left me confused and sometimes a tiny bit worried over change of such a vital part of fortress sustainability as my questions probably infer, but im still hopeful the changes are a safe addition to pass over some gripes and cheesy trade tactics.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: July 22, 2022, 08:10:09 pm »

I advise caution in any attempt to make nobility more central to the game without significant changes to nobility, which I don't think you have time to make. Nobility is currently not fun or interesting. Players kill them not because they're sadistic but because it's the most direct way to remove an unfun mechanic.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: July 23, 2022, 06:58:15 am »

I advise caution in any attempt to make nobility more central to the game without significant changes to nobility, which I don't think you have time to make. Nobility is currently not fun or interesting. Players kill them not because they're sadistic but because it's the most direct way to remove an unfun mechanic.

I mean, sometimes its sadism. But generally yes, there's not much worth of attachment to nobles other than to show them off in their little fishtank. I think the inclination to attribute them to more things the release seems to be working towards kind of resolves this but this is a valid point i guess on time restraints to the time nobles actually need.

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: July 24, 2022, 11:35:10 am »

Hello! I have a bit of a difficulty settings question: is there currently a way to tweak how common visits that petition for mercenary/temple/tavern type are? I ask because I really enjoyed having a squad of humans/goblins/outsiders in the prior version and since when merc companies were added to world gen I haven't seen a single mercenary petition. That is something that would be really cool to have an option of having again some day for roleplaying/etc. Thank you for reading
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 11:47:38 am by Broms »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: July 24, 2022, 05:05:28 pm »

When might we expect some random properties to be assigned to the divine metals? Any chance of we could see a small update for the divine metals prior to far off Myth and Magic update? Perhaps in a not entirely dissimilar manner to the prototype for magical powers that intelligent undead were given.

The divine metals are pretty boring as they only feature procedural generation which assigns them a name based on their corresponding deity's sphere. And their material properties are always the same.

Without turning this into a suggestion, I think simple things like random numbers for the material properties, and maybe one or two wacky things from a list would go a long way in generating some good stories out these obscure metals. It's certainly difficult for me to say that I would not thoroughly enjoy laying a war hammer of 'whatchamacallitonium', that has a persistent temperature of something like 672 °F, out in an open field with nothing to guard it. And just having the dwarves sit back and watch the results of kobolds and giant kea birds attempts to sneak off with it.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 05:07:34 pm by dikbutdagrate »
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314 315 ... 389