Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851350 times)

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4695 on: July 24, 2022, 07:20:37 pm »

How much do you worry about accidentally sacrificing gameplay value when pursuing other goals?

How do i use sigtext properly?

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: July 26, 2022, 11:57:49 am »

Hello! I have a bit of a difficulty settings question: is there currently a way to tweak how common visits that petition for mercenary/temple/tavern type are? I ask because I really enjoyed having a squad of humans/goblins/outsiders in the prior version and since when merc companies were added to world gen I haven't seen a single mercenary petition. That is something that would be really cool to have an option of having again some day for roleplaying/etc. Thank you for reading

This has less to do with the difficulty settings than it has to do with world generation. If the world didn't generate a lot of merc companies or if you embarked in an area with fewer mercs, then you won't encounter them very often. Same with other visitor types. But no, in the current release there isn't a direct way to change the rate of mercs visiting or petitioning.

When might we expect some random properties to be assigned to the divine metals? Any chance of we could see a small update for the divine metals prior to far off Myth and Magic update? Perhaps in a not entirely dissimilar manner to the prototype for magical powers that intelligent undead were given.

The divine metals are pretty boring as they only feature procedural generation which assigns them a name based on their corresponding deity's sphere. And their material properties are always the same.

Without turning this into a suggestion, I think simple things like random numbers for the material properties, and maybe one or two wacky things from a list would go a long way in generating some good stories out these obscure metals. It's certainly difficult for me to say that I would not thoroughly enjoy laying a war hammer of 'whatchamacallitonium', that has a persistent temperature of something like 672 °F, out in an open field with nothing to guard it. And just having the dwarves sit back and watch the results of kobolds and giant kea birds attempts to sneak off with it.

Divine materials are only used by angels and divination blessings that gift armor or weapons. They're nonexistent in fort mode, excluding the elf trade mat bug. Given their rarity, they probably won't be revisited until development puts them front-and-center. Divine mats had a chance to be updated when divination was added, and it didn't happen.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 01:15:44 pm by Doorkeeper »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: July 26, 2022, 02:46:49 pm »

Divine materials are only used by angels and divination blessings that gift armor or weapons. They're nonexistent in fort mode, excluding the elf trade mat bug. Given their rarity, they probably won't be revisited until development puts them front-and-center. Divine mats had a chance to be updated when divination was added, and it didn't happen.

Well for that matter it is possible to discover a vault, then confer that information to your fort to raid it (sadly no loot other than a slab and a lot of fighting to be had), or drop your fortress with DFhack ontop of it and clear it out manually that way. Otherwise correct, they're just nice gloss for a unique weapon.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: July 26, 2022, 03:44:22 pm »

With the steam release's redesign of activity zones, will there be support for activity zones that exist across multiple z-levels? This would be especially useful for outdoor pastures on hillsides, where there isn't enough room on a single z-level to support many animals.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: July 26, 2022, 06:19:30 pm »

With the steam release's redesign of activity zones, will there be support for activity zones that exist across multiple z-levels? This would be especially useful for outdoor pastures on hillsides, where there isn't enough room on a single z-level to support many animals.

I mean its niche but that's a good example, architectually more z level relevant zones could have room for vertical features like religious frescoes and raised off the floor gargoyle like creepy statues where nobody can topple them.  A multizone painter is already on the cards for painting rooms within rooms so you can sub-divide a hospital without painting over each other, or just draw it in abstract without the furniture.

Personally if multi-z zones arrive, observational decks (for observer sport or just a chillout spot) have been suggested for a while now and other expanded room/area functionalities would probably fit in snug.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: July 26, 2022, 08:02:28 pm »

Pastures are the key example because I think for basically all other types of activity zones you can just create multiple unconnected zones and achieve the same functionality, just with a little more effort. But for animals to be able to traipse up and down a hillside while staying within the 'same' pasture, it would have to be one, multi-z-level zone.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: July 29, 2022, 07:48:47 pm »

I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question for the Future of the Fortress thread, but I've heard conflicting theories over the years and I haven't been able to figure it out in my varied embark attemps.  Though I have seen reanimating biomes quickly fill up the caverns with many reanimated trogdolyte and crundle pieces moving about and getting stuck atop giant mushrooms. 

Does discovering the caverns have a negative impact on FPS due to cavern critter pathfinding / flowing water etc.?  Or do those calculations just happen normally regardless of whether or not the caverns have been revealed?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: July 30, 2022, 06:10:16 am »

Does discovering the caverns have a negative impact on FPS due to cavern critter pathfinding / flowing water etc.?  Or do those calculations just happen normally regardless of whether or not the caverns have been revealed?

I'm pretty sure the calculations happen anyway; one of the things the eventual map rewrite is supposed to do, is enable *not* doing these calculations before they are revealed.

Urist McSadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: July 30, 2022, 06:41:49 am »

1.Do you have any favorite generated myths you're willing to share?
2.How is the economy eventually going to work in our forts?
3.After the Magic update, is hell gonna go away depending on the myth?
4.How far away are we from getting fortress mode mounts?
5.Can we reassign war animals in the steam version?
6.Are we ever going to get the option to surrender to a siege and become part of the enemy civ, and if yes, when could we expect that?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4704 on: July 30, 2022, 07:32:20 am »

3.After the Magic update, is hell gonna go away depending on the myth?

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer can be found in DF Talk #25:
Quote from: Toady One, DF Talk #25
Yeah, so here are the questions: So we have a question from recon1o6. The question is:
When we do add the Myth & Magic release, when we add demons to it, is there going to be a possibility of worlds where the demons are not trapped in the underworld, that they're actually roaming around on the the the outside? Because what we were talking about when we talked about these other races, not just demons and things but angels and forest spirits, and all that, we just kind of talked about them as if they're out there doing their thing, or they're off in some plane somewhere, or they're wherever. And indeed that's the idea. The idea is that there would be a number of situations. It wouldn't always be the underworld exactly as it is with, you know, - spoiler alert! - adamantine spires coming up from a kind of underworld place that's described as being a different place, like the sky is described as different when you go down there and do the weather description, so it is sort of a different place, but it's really just kind of under too - it's the underworld. And it always works a certain way. Yeah. And we're planning on having just different possibilities there. Although in the next question we'll address that.
The "next question" is this one, which I'm not putting as quote here as it is both longer and has a more spread out answer, but they basically confirm the current setup should be one possibly myth-result.

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: July 30, 2022, 08:41:49 am »

How long will it be before attacking armies will have the ability to dig or otherwise enter a walled off fort?

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: July 30, 2022, 08:49:25 am »

How long will it be before attacking armies will have the ability to dig or otherwise enter a walled off fort?

I don't have a real timeline, but that's supposed to come in the siege/armies update (which according to Toady, may or may not be merged into the villains part 2 update, which may or may not be merged into the Adventure mode update for Premium DF). So maybe 1-3 years?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: July 30, 2022, 02:47:55 pm »

Regarding animal people, is there any control on how many show up or how frequently? Some people hate them with a burning passion and don't want them at all, afterall
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: July 30, 2022, 10:55:31 pm »

Regarding animal people, is there any control on how many show up or how frequently? Some people hate them with a burning passion and don't want them at all, afterall

Lol, yeah. Just delete them from the raws, or change their population number to 0.

Hey T-dog, whats up with this dwarf and soap?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 11:04:23 pm by dikbutdagrate »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4709 on: July 31, 2022, 08:06:47 am »

The animal people don't have any special tokens to them that would make them targetable by the game in the way that megabeasts have MEGABEAST, etc.. Doesn't mean Toady couldn't add one, but considering how easy and straightforward the mod is, and installing mods will be easier with Workshop, maybe it isn't worth it.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 389