Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850613 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4800 on: September 02, 2022, 12:53:41 am »

What do you mean divine metal in fortress mode? How will we be able to get our hands on it? Will we be able to get different variations?

One way is to raid vaults, which can be accessed either on the map (after visiting in adventure mode), or through seeking out the slab/any artifacts located there.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4801 on: September 02, 2022, 04:57:41 am »

In regards to the new mod loading system, how will total conversions be handled?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4802 on: September 02, 2022, 08:04:40 am »

In regards to the new mod loading system, how will total conversions be handled?

According to Tarn in a devlog last December, by simply not loading the vanilla raws.
Quote from: DF devlog, 2021-12-24
[...]
When you create a world, you can set a load order from among the mods that are installed on your computer, including the vanilla objects. The default is just to load the vanilla objects in order, and you don't even see this if you haven't put mods on your system. On the other hand, vanilla objects don't need to be loaded at all, though obviously in that case you'll generally want something to replace them. Hopefully this will allow total object conversions and other large changes without needing to leave the in-game interface.
[...]
I'd imagine not much has changed since then; it's the latest mention of mod structure I could find in the devlogs.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: September 02, 2022, 01:05:31 pm »

Thanks for the replies, Toady!  Every time I read a new FotF, I get more and more hyped up about the release!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: September 02, 2022, 11:13:05 pm »

ooh thank you for the info Toady! Looking forward to this release more by the day
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RockCat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: September 05, 2022, 12:11:38 am »

Is Technological progress planned? As in Tech being researched and developed over time, be it by player's request or organically during worldgen.

Currently the world has a stagnant tech level which i don't find fun... or !!FUN!! after all who wouldn't love to show our elven friends some new super fast flying sticks or funny explosion sticks!

Much love, and I'll surely buy DF on Steam's release!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: September 05, 2022, 02:25:14 am »

@RockCat : yes it is planned. But as every other things planned, it is currently in "pause", it will happen after what is currently on the table, which is the steam release, the immediate after (bugs, patchs, etc..) and the less-immediate after (like converting Adventure mode to the new UI). After this, there will be the Army Arc, and then the Big Wait. Maybe it will be during the Big Wait (even if it's not really the theme of the Big Wait, which is Myths and Magic and etc..). Or maybe After this.

Anyway, don't expect it soon. But it's planned, and Toady has already talked about this, hence the introduction of Research.

hirsute_offender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: September 05, 2022, 02:58:03 am »

I watched the demo recorded on Twitch, awesome!

One thing that I find particularly jarring though, and that may be easily fixed, is how characters and objects on screen just snap to the next tile when moving. It feels very choppy and rough

Would it be possible to make the transition a little smoother, by making the elements slide from one tile to the next?

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 02:35:46 pm by hirsute_offender »

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: September 05, 2022, 08:24:18 pm »

I watched the demo recorded on Twitch, awesome!

One thing that I find particularly jarring though, and that may be easily fixed, is how characters and objects on screen just snap to the next tile when moving. It feels very choppy and rough

Would it be possible to make the transition a little smoother, by making the elements slide from one tile to the next?

Thank you

I believe this was asked before, and if i remember correctly, the answer was something along the lines of "Maybe later, but objects snapping to the next tile is good enough for the first release.".  I don't have a citation for that, though.  (Also, the rules of the thread state that questions ought to be written in green for Toady to see them.)

How do i use sigtext properly?

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: September 05, 2022, 11:54:50 pm »

Regarding game dir nomenclature: does "raw" originally stand for "Rules As Written"? Or is the folder called raw in the sense that it contains "raw data"?

Also, what are "tokens", "flags" and "tags" in your own words? Are the three terms synonymous w/ each other? They are often used interchangeably by mostly everyone here. I ask b/c when you use the terms in your posts, you appear to use tag and flag interchangeably, but usually use token in a different sense.

From what I understand you would not call AMPHIBIOUS or LARGE_PREDATOR tokens, but call them tags (specifically creature tags). In most definitions, a token is an instance of a type of object, right? So DOG is a token, and CREATURE is the type; DOG would be an instance of CREATURE. Or BLUEBERRY is a token of the object type PLANT, SKIN_TEMPLATE is a token of the object type MATERIAL_TEMPLATE (or the object type TISSUE_TEMPLATE, depending on context). FLUX is a token of REACTION_CLASS, ANGER is a token of PERSONALITY, GLACIER is a token of BIOME, etc. But PHYS_ATT_RANGE wouldn't be called a token b/c it isn't an object itself... I hope I didn't contradict myself.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: September 06, 2022, 03:23:56 am »

Also, what are "tokens", "flags" and "tags" in your own words? Are the three terms synonymous w/ each other? They are often used interchangeably by mostly everyone here. I ask b/c when you use the terms in your posts, you appear to use tag and flag interchangeably, but usually use token in a different sense.

As I understand it, token and tag are synonymous, but "flag" refers to what tokens get turned into and stored as in the actual creatures, and they don't align 1-1.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Interaction_token#Creature_and_Caste_Flags

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: September 06, 2022, 07:03:31 am »

Regarding game dir nomenclature: does "raw" originally stand for "Rules As Written"? Or is the folder called raw in the sense that it contains "raw data"?

The latter, if I recall...the token system, among other things just designates the relevant file contents as human-readable?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:07:20 am by Silverwing235 »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: September 07, 2022, 11:42:15 pm »

From what I understand you would not call AMPHIBIOUS or LARGE_PREDATOR tokens, but call them tags (specifically creature tags). In most definitions, a token is an instance of a type of object, right? So DOG is a token, and CREATURE is the type; DOG would be an instance of CREATURE. Or BLUEBERRY is a token of the object type PLANT, SKIN_TEMPLATE is a token of the object type MATERIAL_TEMPLATE (or the object type TISSUE_TEMPLATE, depending on context). FLUX is a token of REACTION_CLASS, ANGER is a token of PERSONALITY, GLACIER is a token of BIOME, etc. But PHYS_ATT_RANGE wouldn't be called a token b/c it isn't an object itself... I hope I didn't contradict myself.

AMPHIBIOUS and LARGE_PREDATOR are creature tokens. DOG is an ID for a CREATURE object. BLUEBERRY is an ID for a PLANT, etc.

[REACTION_CLASS:FLUX] is a token, as a block. [PERSONALITY:ANGER:0:50:100] is a token. [BIOME:GLACIER] is a token. Tokens can have arguments. "Tag" is synonymous with "token".

Flags are checks that can be done by interactions and syndromes. That's actually about all there is to it.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: September 08, 2022, 11:43:40 am »

Thanks guys. I put [SOMETHING] in the DWARF def, the errorlog read out "DWARF:Unrecognized Creature Token: SOMETHING", so yeah. Was just confused for a moment there.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: September 09, 2022, 10:10:09 pm »

Do you have any idea what the new release number will be? Currently, it's 0.47.05. Are we looking at another 0.4x.00 release, or are we going to be hitting or even exceeding the 0.5x.00 milestone?
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 389