Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850568 times)

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4830 on: September 18, 2022, 08:08:55 am »

What kind of changes are planned for adventure mode? By which i mean: what shortcomings do you think it has, and what are your ideas for solving said problems

(the UI is the obvious one) but im hoping for some minor new mechanics to address things, i really like the idea of the irritation mechanic for instance. Super interested in what he has to say

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: September 19, 2022, 10:38:14 am »

Quick question, how many different tiles are there for the same thing? For instance are there three different tiles for an unsmoothed stone floor or is there only one tile (in other words, piece of art work).
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: September 20, 2022, 02:12:07 am »

Quick question, how many different tiles are there for the same thing? For instance are there three different tiles for an unsmoothed stone floor or is there only one tile (in other words, piece of art work).
As far as I understand it varies from tile to tile. I believe there are several variants of beds (from the same material), but "only" one for most creatures. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a defined pattern for how many variants you have for different categories of things.
I believe it was mentioned either in a discussion or by Toady at some point that some people may want to lock down the variants used to create a uniform look (such as all rooms, perhaps in a "set" of rooms, looking exactly the same), but don't know if there was any confirmation of the ability to do so.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4833 on: September 20, 2022, 12:03:31 pm »

Random guesses about Love and Lust:
- Less conflict (Love)
- More marriages and children (Love)
- More lovers (Love and Lust)
- More extra maritial affairs (Lust primarily)
- More master/student associations (Love, without any sexual connotations)
- Fewer murders (Love)
- More murders (of competitors, Lust)

Apart from that (and other things, of course), they'd also serve as opponents to the influence of other spheres. Some might not be head on opposition but rather at lesser angles, if the analogy makes sense. Similarly, they may modify other spheres.
- Love vs Hate
- Love vs Strife
- Love vs War
- Love vs Arrogance
- Love combining with Lust
- Love combining with Passion
- Lust vs Lethargy
- Lust combining with Hate and Strife (separately or combined)
- etc.

Spheres may also affect people's values, so people within a sphere's influence might be nudged toward aligned values. This can also be effected by making scholars within such influences more prone to write books promoting those values and less prone to write ones against them. Effects don't have to be obviously visible in the open to still affect things.

Another interesting sphere, conceptually, is Depravity.  According to the sphere relationship data, Lust and Depravity are more closely associated with each other than they are to any other in-game sphere, with Depravity being opposed to Laws.

What I'm thinking is that Depravity is the act of defying socially-acceptable behavior, while Lust is the motivation that causes one to do so.  It doesn't have to be exclusively sexual lust; lust can be for money (theft) or violence (murder/assault).  So maybe when a creature evaluates whether it will perform an action, its urges are pitted against its values.

A god of Lust could increase the strength of urges, while a god of Depravity could decrease the strength of values.

Orrr Lust could be exclusively sexual, considering that there doesn't seem to be another sphere specifically associated with sex.

BlackAion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: September 24, 2022, 03:17:17 pm »

Random guesses about Love and Lust:
- Less conflict (Love)
- More marriages and children (Love)
- More lovers (Love and Lust)
- More extra maritial affairs (Lust primarily)
- More master/student associations (Love, without any sexual connotations)
- Fewer murders (Love)
- More murders (of competitors, Lust)

Apart from that (and other things, of course), they'd also serve as opponents to the influence of other spheres. Some might not be head on opposition but rather at lesser angles, if the analogy makes sense. Similarly, they may modify other spheres.
- Love vs Hate
- Love vs Strife
- Love vs War
- Love vs Arrogance
- Love combining with Lust
- Love combining with Passion
- Lust vs Lethargy
- Lust combining with Hate and Strife (separately or combined)
- etc.

Spheres may also affect people's values, so people within a sphere's influence might be nudged toward aligned values. This can also be effected by making scholars within such influences more prone to write books promoting those values and less prone to write ones against them. Effects don't have to be obviously visible in the open to still affect things.

Another interesting sphere, conceptually, is Depravity.  According to the sphere relationship data, Lust and Depravity are more closely associated with each other than they are to any other in-game sphere, with Depravity being opposed to Laws.

What I'm thinking is that Depravity is the act of defying socially-acceptable behavior, while Lust is the motivation that causes one to do so.  It doesn't have to be exclusively sexual lust; lust can be for money (theft) or violence (murder/assault).  So maybe when a creature evaluates whether it will perform an action, its urges are pitted against its values.

A god of Lust could increase the strength of urges, while a god of Depravity could decrease the strength of values.

Orrr Lust could be exclusively sexual, considering that there doesn't seem to be another sphere specifically associated with sex.

Lust could be non-sexual in nature hence why I thought that it was a sphere that supports other spheres. But everything non-sexual about Lust has been co-opted by other Spheres or by Depravity thus the only thing left would things of the sexual nature.

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: September 26, 2022, 02:15:38 pm »

Why are dwarves unable to wield melee and ranged weapons simultaneously (as they are meant to function at least) they can carry both, and will train and fight with their melee weapons just fine, but the second a fight starts or you set them to train their ranged skills, they drop all of their picked up ammunition and get stuck in a loop trying to pick it up again (or ignore it to fight their target and come back) are they just not meant to be able to, or is it a bug.

Do you foresee any problems with the future of the fortress and similar community centric practices given the presumably enlarged community?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4836 on: September 27, 2022, 03:18:29 am »

According to the latest blogpost we will be able to "append a few lines to existing entries". If I understand this right it should also be possible to remove or alter most tokens by having these new tokens be creature variation tokens (CV_REMOVE_TAG and CV_CONVERT_TAG). Is this right?
And if it is, is there some way to do this for objects other than creatures, since the current creature variations only work on those? And is there a way of changing what creature variations have been assigned at an earlier stage, e.g. changing SLUG_MAN to use ANIMAL_PERSON instead of ANIMAL_PERSON_LEGLESS?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: September 27, 2022, 07:56:04 am »

Do you know if what you have done for Fortress will help to convert Adventure mode to new UI and graphical mode ?  And which part will remain ?

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: September 28, 2022, 09:51:06 am »

Do you know if what you have done for Fortress will help to convert Adventure mode to new UI and graphical mode ?  And which part will remain ?

Oh man, I just realized that: once adventure mode is in the steam version, it will put dwarf fortress in competition with Core Keeper. That will be interesting.
I haven't done that much adventure mode*, Can you build walls and the like?

*Other than dying of thirst in a sinister swamp because the ponds were frozen.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:53:14 am by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: September 28, 2022, 10:13:18 am »

No, you can't do most of the things you can do in Fortress. However a lot is planned to be.
But my question was more about UI and graphics than in gameplay/content.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: September 28, 2022, 10:18:55 am »

Actually, you can build walls and the like in camps, though it is limited to wood that you get from felling trees. See https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Camp#Adventurer_camps and https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode_gameplay#Woodcutting.2C_building_and_site_management
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:21:02 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: September 28, 2022, 12:39:14 pm »

Actually, you can build walls and the like in camps, though it is limited to wood that you get from felling trees. See https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Camp#Adventurer_camps and https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Adventurer_mode_gameplay#Woodcutting.2C_building_and_site_management

I bet the elves aren't very happy about that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 08:59:17 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: September 28, 2022, 08:23:28 pm »

I bet the elves aren't very happy

About what?  The coming update?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: September 29, 2022, 04:45:53 pm »

Practicality of playing on a 16-16 map. With all the code updates for the big release as well as future updates, will the game ever be able to be played on a full 16-16 map? It would be a unique challenge making minecarts much more necessary. It is something I would really like to do.

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
« Reply #4844 on: September 29, 2022, 05:30:36 pm »

Practicality of playing on a 16-16 map. With all the code updates for the big release as well as future updates, will the game ever be able to be played on a full 16-16 map? It would be a unique challenge making minecarts much more necessary. It is something I would really like to do.

even if it was incredibly well optimised, even with the best hardware on the planet - i don't think it'll ever be possible to run df at that kind of scale, and certainly not with a living world. it's just too big.

a more reasonable hope might be that you can have a few extra tiles - say 4x4 to 5x5 - and a slightly larger world / longer history.
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 389