Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 392

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2933474 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4920 on: November 01, 2022, 11:58:33 pm »

Missing religions for animal people is likely this bug. You checked it and noted that various cultural info is missing from Animal People so would be tricky and have to be fixed later.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11403

(It's specifically an animal-person thing. Other races pick up the religion of the civ they live in at some point and become selectable in Adventurer).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 12:02:29 am by Shonai_Dweller »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: November 02, 2022, 12:08:40 am »

Oooh! :o  I didn’t know the name “Threetoe” was a reference to Guinea pigs!  I thought it was a reference to three-toed sloths.  :-[  That’s interesting to know…. I’m very sorry.  Anyways, thanks for all the answers.  I can’t wait to play the game on my Linux machine when it comes out on the 6th, next month!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: November 02, 2022, 02:44:16 am »

So I'm dipping back into DF, and haven't been able to parse a clear answer to this out of the previous FotF replies:

What is the state of keyboard control in DF and what plans are there for it going forward?

Here's the latest from Toady. You can read a little bit before this quote in this thread for some context (if you've already read this, sorry haha!).

Keyboard stuff:  There was some confusion over in the linked suggestions thread above and elsewhere about hotkeys etc., and generally I should clarify the different pieces of keyboard support and where we are at:

For hotkeys, I'll have to move some of them, since I can't assume we have a numberpad and wasd has to camp out over on the left side of the keyboard forever, but hotkeys for opening and using menus seems pretty easy to support.  We do have to show them to the player somehow.  Tooltips are one typical way, and there could be some layer that draws them under buttons as well (I guess some games have done, like, holding 'alt' for this kind of thing.)

For designations, I think the wasd+mouse combination can handle some things that people aren't giving it credit for (long tunnels etc.), and camera keys also work for doing up/down staircases.  But we've listened to the feedback here, and a cursor mode is easy to support, since most of the code is sitting around for it and we already have cursor graphics.  We just have to make sure new people don't get stuck in there.

For menu navigation, missing the numberpad and our old (sometimes inconsistent and annoying) methods of scrolling put us in a bind in some cases.  Focus and button use etc. probably can't be the same between the various menus, because they are quite different from each other.  Though I think, as with the Classic display and adventure mode, the main issue here is time.  I see the pathway through for Classic/adventure stuff though, so it's easy to commit to doing those in as timely a fashion as possible after launch if that's the way we go.  With a few of the menus, I'm not sure how much work it'd take.

We read through all of the comments and take them seriously, even the negative ones - there's no need to be rude or assume the worst.  We're going to try to address issues and we think things are going to turn out well, but everything just takes time.

Don't expect it immediately and don't expect it to be as comprehensive as it was. Those of us who cared dropped the ball because Toady didn't think anyone did.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #4923 on: November 02, 2022, 08:27:37 am »

Thanks Toady for another month's worth of replies! :D

The new formatting looks very promising. Are the vanilla raws split into multiple zipped folders going forwards, or was the "vanilla_buildings" example just an example?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: November 03, 2022, 05:05:22 am »

I personally think that 30$ is a good price for such awesome game but people in russian community ask about possible region prices.

demonbunny3po

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: November 03, 2022, 10:48:08 am »

Now that we have a release date, I am curious if any steamers/Let’s Players are being given early copies of the game to try out so they can release videos on the day of release and really get the initial ball rolling even harder.

One YouTuber I think would like the game and I believe has expressed interest in the game in the past (but unwilling to play for the channel due to the previous lack of graphics) is Pravus. He tends to play strategy games and recently started up a new series of Oxygen Not Included. He has done several series where he would play games from sponsored content or even just games Devs provided to him for free. I think he and his fans would like DF a great deal. Unfortunately, most of my other suggestions are people that I know already plan on purchasing the Steam version on release and are big fans of the game as it currently sits or are massive names who tend to not play these sorts of games.

Edit: Blind and Quill 18 are the two other YouTube gamers I would suggest, but they are already deep in the game already. I would like to suggest a VTuber, but do not know any that would fit well.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 10:54:36 am by demonbunny3po »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: November 03, 2022, 11:55:25 am »

Pravus is that you
Love, scriver~

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4927 on: November 03, 2022, 01:04:06 pm »

Now that we have a release date, I am curious if any steamers/Let’s Players are being given early copies of the game to try out so they can release videos on the day of release and really get the initial ball rolling even harder.

Without getting into the topic of sending keys to people who are historically unwilling to stream DF, handling media and so on is definitely the sort of thing Tarn's left to the publisher Kitfox Games so he can keep his focus on the development.

They can be contacted at info@kitfoxgames.com .
Team Bug Fix!

TheLifeOfRyanB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: November 03, 2022, 02:14:47 pm »

I know you've said there won't be save game backward compatibility in the Steam release from previous versions, but will the various world gen seeds still produce the same worlds, terrain, civs, etc?

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: November 03, 2022, 05:01:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure that Today One has said that this is a breaking update in all ways.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:14:47 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: November 04, 2022, 01:00:01 am »

I know you've said there won't be save game backward compatibility in the Steam release from previous versions, but will the various world gen seeds still produce the same worlds, terrain, civs, etc?
That's unlikely.

Even small adjustments to things in the game makes seeds non compatible, even if the saves themselves remain backwards compatible.
It's also possible some seeds generate the same result as before while others don't, if something in one part of world gen has been changed, but not others.

TheLifeOfRyanB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: November 04, 2022, 02:00:35 am »

The breaking changes mentioned were the save restructure and something about trees. Given there are four seeds it sounds like the first seed might be broken, but the others might generate intact. Depending at what stage the trees use the seed (I'm imagining later in the generation process) you might still end up with a world that looks geographically the same but has different forests, or maybe the forest locations are the same but when you enter the region the trees themselves might look different.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: November 04, 2022, 06:13:18 am »

In a Watsonian sense, how do you think a DF world gets its first anvil, given how you, in gameplay, need a forge to make an anvil... And you need an anvil to build a forge.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: November 04, 2022, 12:16:09 pm »

This may have been asked before, But how much test coverage does your code have?(2022)
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

BreadnRoses

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: November 07, 2022, 05:00:46 am »

How moddable will DF be with workshop support? will people be able to change core features of the game (different farming mechanics, different combat mechanics, new systems, etc) or will it be limited to using modules already in the engine?
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 392