Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850822 times)

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4995 on: December 02, 2022, 09:04:08 pm »

Presumably because so much has changed and so many of the bugs on the bugtracker not properly detailed over the years that it was better to just start fresh.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: December 02, 2022, 10:45:05 pm »

Quote from: Paaaad
In a Watsonian sense, how do you think a DF world gets its first anvil, given how you, in gameplay, need a forge to make an anvil... And you need an anvil to build a forge.

demonbunny3po: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8425773#msg8425773
Paaaad (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8425860#msg8425860
Egan_BW: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8425863#msg8425863
Schmaven: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8425865#msg8425865
Lemunde: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8426328#msg8426328
Eric Blank: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8426344#msg8426344

Ha ha, I don't have anything to add to the discussion.  We do have gods that made slabs somehow, so there are possibilities even without relying on stone anvils, molds, etc.

I take it you haven't put too much thought into it then. Fair enough. Thanks anyway!
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: December 02, 2022, 10:57:58 pm »

Thanks for the answers. The release is so soon! ^-^
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: December 02, 2022, 11:11:41 pm »

(Also, I’ll note that bug tracker seems to have been completely wiped clean.  Is there any reason for that?)
The issues are still there, you can get to them using their id number, it's just that all searching seems to be broken.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: December 03, 2022, 01:53:37 am »

Thanks for all the answers, Toady!

(Also, I’ll note that bug tracker seems to have been completely wiped clean.  Is there any reason for that?)

They're preparing for the Premium release bug reporting system. The old data is safely backed up, we're told!
Team Bug Fix!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: December 03, 2022, 04:23:37 am »

the one thing about the villains arc stuff is I hope you can play into the villains that join the fort than having to treat them like a pest... like are the villains that move to your fort still count as a citizen when they are the last citizen? I wonder if this might ruin villain hermit fort runs?

like I got some ideas of an necromancer+ vampire team fort draining new visitors that leads to raising them as intelligent undead workforce and it would probably suck if this and the coup stuff just ends forts when you only have them.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: December 03, 2022, 05:40:07 am »

on the topic of music and modding, i really love most of the new tracks, but some of us with audio processing disorders have trouble with e.g. the vocals, will there eventually be a clear mechanism for modding out problematic music tracks/sound samples?

i know a lot of people love the new tracks with vocals and i'm not trying in any way to take away from that, it'd just be helpful to not have things pulling me out of the ability to play to deal with something my brain wasn't prepared for, and i know for sure there are others with similar issues (or even potentially dissimilar issues but with the same solution), so mods seem like the reasonable answer here to me.

edit: now that the game is out, i can see that there's some stuff in the vanilla definitions that would allow a degree of changes, but it requires me to change my question:
will we gain the ability to add mods to existing save files?

this has become a serious obstacle with mods that aim to improve accessibility by adjusting icons in the ui, or for my use case, replacing audio elements that are highly disruptive (like that horrific REEEE REEE REEEE bird noise in grasslands which is absolutely deleterious to some of us)

making a new save file every time we discover an experiential issue that someone solved with a mod is problematic.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 05:12:24 am by Octopusfluff »

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: December 03, 2022, 08:14:37 am »

They're preparing for the Premium release bug reporting system. The old data is safely backed up, we're told!

On that note, hopefully not having been a joke: What would be an acceptable alternate method of bug reporting for those who cannot, or simply no longer wish to, use Mantis? Emails with [BUG] in subject line, Discord DMs, or something else? (Besides the report forms on Mantis being a shade over-complex IMHO IIRC, this humble Firefox user is having profound difficulties coming to terms with the idea that they may simply have neglected to store their password in this one case, you see.)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5003 on: December 03, 2022, 09:42:57 am »

the one thing about the villains arc stuff is I hope you can play into the villains that join the fort than having to treat them like a pest... like are the villains that move to your fort still count as a citizen when they are the last citizen? I wonder if this might ruin villain hermit fort runs?

like I got some ideas of an necromancer+ vampire team fort draining new visitors that leads to raising them as intelligent undead workforce and it would probably suck if this and the coup stuff just ends forts when you only have them.

A villainous takeover that ends with you (the player) getting a chance of changing party might be fun. So you are made aware of the takeover and then given the choice of either abandoning the fort, playing as a group of rebel dwarves, or playing as the evil party, with the world hopefully respecting the choice made. So the coup happens and now you're a subsidiary of the local tower instead of a mountainhome, with the coup-leading necro villain as a noble, and your old dwarven civ as an enemy.

I wonder how much of that is plausible before the entity rewrite, though.

Mr Crabman

• Bay Watcher
  • A person with the head and pincers of a crab.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: December 03, 2022, 10:08:09 am »

A villainous takeover that ends with you (the player) getting a chance of changing party might be fun. So you are made aware of the takeover and then given the choice of either abandoning the fort, playing as a group of rebel dwarves, or playing as the evil party, with the world hopefully respecting the choice made. So the coup happens and now you're a subsidiary of the local tower instead of a mountainhome, with the coup-leading necro villain as a noble, and your old dwarven civ as an enemy.

I wonder how much of that is plausible before the entity rewrite, though.

Suggestions forum! Put in the suggestions forum! This sounds fun!

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: December 03, 2022, 10:22:36 am »

Questions about prostetics reminded me about one thing: exoskeleton or power armor. What about them? In magic/myth future context of course.

WereDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: December 03, 2022, 06:56:32 pm »

On animal people armor
Would it be possible to have one piece of each armor type (one mail one breastplate, one left and right high boot etc) drawn out for each animal person and palatte swapped on demand rather than say one different armor graphic for each piece. Specifically can the graphics system handle palette swapping the gear itself, or would you need to premake the gear and apply the pallete swap manually to each piece of gear, then feed it to the graphic system.
Asking both in desire for custom mod armor/clothing without insane work, and for how your system could handle something like that for “middeground” you spoke of in reference to a similar question.

Also congratulations on the steam release!!!!

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: December 03, 2022, 08:32:31 pm »

Thanks Toady. Best of luck to you and ThreeToe

Quote from: A_Curious_Cat

Also, is there any chance that feather tree eggs will get eggshells (and thus be collectible) before the release?

Probably not, launch is two days from now and I believe Toady did not say anything on updating plants/creatures/etc. since the Steam announcement aside from graphics-related issues like invisible dwarves. If he couldn't get ascii, arena or adv mode in before launch, proper feather tree eggs likely didn't either. We'll just have to explain newcomers why they end up with a green mess when they have their dwarves try to collect one. No green eggs and ham for now

I assumed they were doing some kind of maintenance in prep for launch. Great to get a confirmation though

On that note, hopefully not having been a joke: What would be an acceptable alternate method of bug reporting for those who cannot, or simply no longer wish to, use Mantis? Emails with [BUG] in subject line, Discord DMs, or something else? (Besides the report forms on Mantis being a shade over-complex IMHO IIRC, this humble Firefox user is having profound difficulties coming to terms with the idea that they may simply have neglected to store their password in this one case, you see.)

If the depreciated bug report board on this forum is any indication, they probably won't manage an alternative method. Having a single centralized system is likely for the best anyways, especially as the playerbase grows larger. If you have an email, you can create a Mantis account. I haven't used Discord for a long time, but its design/layout doesn't look like it's suited for tracking/managing collections of indiv. reports (and dealing with duplicates, etc.) unless I'm wrong. There's Kitfox and co. now, but even if Toady has someone else manage these other bug reporting systems, he's still the sole dev, so everything will funnel to him regardless. Another problem with the email and dm approaches is they're not public, so the community can't contribute with bug solving.

I agree with the current report form having too many options for the average joe. Although if it isn't an OS issue, I think you can ignore the platform/os info. If you lost your password, you can submit a password reset if you haven't done so already (maybe after they finished updating the site). If it's lost for good, I don't think they'd mind if you make a new account, since DF isn't some online multiplayer. Who knows what they're doing rn, maybe they're gonna link Steam accounts with the bug tracker, idk. Best to wait

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 08:45:30 pm by Doorkeeper »

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: December 04, 2022, 07:03:05 pm »

Thank's for the answers, and the creation of this thread in the first place!
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: December 05, 2022, 08:25:54 am »

If you have an email, you can create a Mantis account.

Technical issues aside, such as Mantis not sending confirmation emails to certain addresses.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 389