Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850975 times)

Fatace

• Bay Watcher
  • Cease hostilities? Never!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5085 on: December 17, 2022, 09:56:50 pm »

1. With the new additions to the Hidden Fun Stuff (gem spires and all their goodies), Will there be any changes or tweaks to this? While this might seem very hard for new players.. this is.. a oddly easy way to quickly obtain divine artifacts, specially since the baddies that can spawn with in.. tend to be made out of dust or something very weak.

2. With those changes to the Hidden Fun Stuff.. will there be changes to Vaults or anything for adventure mode? (it was possible to open a underworld pillar in adventure mode and cause demons to spawn too).

3. More or less likely when adventure mode is released.. alot of new players will question why we can't mine....lol. Will anything be implemented to let us do this in Adv Mode? Maybe something similar to how DFHack's gui/advfort worked? I would assume it would only allow us to dig on our player-made camps and nowhere else.

4. Without having you spoil to much, will there be any adventure mode bugs/issues that will be fixed for the adv. mode release?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:20:47 pm by Fatace »
I once had a 30 dwarf glacier fortress once.. was going great till the dwarf merchants brought along a WereKoala and killed everyone...

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: December 18, 2022, 01:38:19 am »

From the first post of the thread (emphasis added):

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions limegreen works pretty well.
"Works pretty well" is far from a requirement. There's no way that Toady will miss a question because it's a slightly different shade of green. The purpose of the color is just to draw attention to questions, so let's stop complaining about people's exact question colors. If Toady cares, I'm sure he will clarify.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: December 18, 2022, 02:43:26 am »

From the first post of the thread (emphasis added):

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions limegreen works pretty well.
"Works pretty well" is far from a requirement. There's no way that Toady will miss a question because it's a slightly different shade of green. The purpose of the color is just to draw attention to questions, so let's stop complaining about people's exact question colors. If Toady cares, I'm sure he will clarify.
Nobody cares what shade of green you use. Just don't use bright yellow as someone someone did earlier.

And, for what it's worth, green is really hard to read on some monitors as it's very dark.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: December 18, 2022, 05:51:58 pm »

Very much looking forward to Adventurer. With this tileset and the awesome soundtrack (maybe more soundtrack? That would be nice) it should be great fun. Having given yourself a "much further away" deadline to get it done, is this the deep dive focus on bringing Adventurer up to the standards of Fortress with side bugs and other issues all addressed along with the interface that we've all been waiting for? Or is that still something that will eventually happen over a long period of time and updates in amongst other update arcs? While none of it is "finished" of course, how "finished" will it feel as a game compared with Fortress when this update is done do you think?

Is the plan to release adventurer, then get back to villains, or release adventurer once villains is done (since it seems to be a large part of future adventurer play).

Also:
You've mentioned that you want DF playable for people without a numeric keypad. Does this extend to removing keypad movement from Adventurer?  Or are you going to keep the keypad controls and also implement other ways of getting about with a mouse like in Caves of Qud?

For what it's worth I wouldn't feel very comfortable playing a roguelike and not being able to use the keypad.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 06:10:26 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: December 18, 2022, 09:12:58 pm »

The composers all seem to be interested in returning for the Adventure Mode Soundtrack!
Team Bug Fix!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: December 18, 2022, 10:42:40 pm »

The composers all seem to be interested in returning for the Adventure Mode Soundtrack!
Excellent. Just having a musical cue as you accidentally stumble into a haunted biome would be great. Wait, what's going on here, sense of dread intensifies. Hoary Marmot Corpse attacks!

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: December 19, 2022, 05:26:30 am »

You've mentioned that you want DF playable for people without a numeric keypad. Does this extend to removing keypad movement from Adventurer?  Or are you going to keep the keypad controls and also implement other ways of getting about with a mouse like in Caves of Qud?

For what it's worth I wouldn't feel very comfortable playing a roguelike and not being able to use the keypad.

My grognardia is flaring up, so I feel compelled to point out that many of the earliest roguelikes were played on terminals that may not have had keypads or had weird proprietary ones, and used hjkl movement like vi.  To this day Angband and many of its descendants support two switchable keysets, one of which uses hjkl (etc) movement and thus needs a lot more shifted and control keys for other commands; this tends to be popular with people playing on laptops or reduced-count keyboards as seem to be weirdly popular in the mechanical keyboard community. 

I'd love to see first-class support in DF for multiple, loadable, keysets, including at least one supplied default for each of minimal, invert-T, and full keypad. 

Stained_Class

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: December 19, 2022, 09:09:36 am »

Will Legends exports like the xml dump, the maps .bmp exports and other infos on the world like the world gen file, be back in a future version of the Premium game?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: December 19, 2022, 09:20:37 am »

My grognardia is flaring up, so I feel compelled to point out that many of the earliest roguelikes were played on terminals that may not have had keypads or had weird proprietary ones, and used hjkl movement like vi.  To this day Angband and many of its descendants support two switchable keysets, one of which uses hjkl (etc) movement and thus needs a lot more shifted and control keys for other commands; this tends to be popular with people playing on laptops or reduced-count keyboards as seem to be weirdly popular in the mechanical keyboard community. 

I'd love to see first-class support in DF for multiple, loadable, keysets, including at least one supplied default for each of minimal, invert-T, and full keypad.
Switchable keysets from the outset. Yeah, that's what I was getting at I think. Original controls (at least as far as moving about), alt controls, plus mouse for the mouse slaves.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: December 19, 2022, 05:45:38 pm »

What's the ETA of the new bug tracker? Kitfox Discord is nice, but it's a chaotic mix of suggestions, repeated bugs, old bugs which have always been around, bugs without any Science to check if they are actually bugs.....

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: December 19, 2022, 10:28:36 pm »

iI also think that using hjkl for movement would be a good idea.

:wq
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: December 19, 2022, 11:53:35 pm »

iI also think that using hjkl for movement would be a good idea.

:wq
What are the other four directions of an hjkl control setup? (Quick Google only shows it as an alternative to wasd, can't seem to find an agreed standard for the diagonals).

Seems you'd lose a lot of the keyboard controls for the sake of movement. Guess it doesn't matter if you're going to be using a mouse.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:58:49 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

TheGoomba98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: December 20, 2022, 12:54:59 pm »

- Why does the world map tileset have tiles for good+savage and evil+savage areas, but not for neutral savage areas?
- Why doesn't the official sprite for beak dogs show them with the rainbow-colored skin that's still in their raws?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5098 on: December 20, 2022, 01:06:29 pm »

- Why doesn't the official sprite for beak dogs show them with the rainbow-colored skin that's still in their raws?

I recall Toady mentioning that they were partially based on ThreeToe's peach-faced lovebirds, but that now that the game has actual peach-face lovebirds they shifted towards another of the inspirations. The other inspiration being the graboids from Tremors 2. I got no idea if this change was initiated by the brothers, or was one made by the artists that they agreed to.

tsallast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: December 20, 2022, 06:38:32 pm »

What parts of the ear do the BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER parameters correspond to? Right now it seems a bit vague and it really could use some clarification.

My interpretation: https://i.imgur.com/D5J166w.png
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 07:30:06 pm by tsallast »
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 389