Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2919754 times)

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5175 on: January 11, 2023, 10:59:40 am »

how much autonomy does putnam have when deciding what to work on?

has there been any discussion with her yet on plans for the Big Wait?

my weird personal #1 hope is that the hardcoded materials become normal raw-defined materials, but i realise there's two decades' worth of bugs to fix first...

Waterlimon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: January 11, 2023, 02:43:14 pm »

Random thought regarding pathfinding algorithm:

If you pathfinded simultaneously from both dwarf and their goal (lets say a closed room), and formed path when these two floodfills collide (or just use the second pathfinding source to see if its an enclosed space), would that help avoid lags due to unreachable goal (since you will quickly get the result: room is a closed space)?

(also technically if using dijkstras, two small search circles colliding at edge has less area than a single big one, doubling search speed?)
See example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 03:13:41 pm by Waterlimon »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: January 11, 2023, 03:36:22 pm »

Is there any intention to bring the architecture skill/labor back? Since it's been removed, from what I can tell the requirements for buildings that needed it before are now just carpentry for wood, masonry for stone, and any metalsmith labor (besides furnace operation) for metal.

For what it's worth, I'm fine with this being cut in the interest of streamlining things.

As far as i know, its there, but its not a skill but a labor buried very deep beneath the custom labor groupings that wouldn't be worth scooping out anymore due to the limited group slots.

It is not there, it's been removed completely, it is no longer available as a raw token and is not in the code.

Is there any intention to bring the architecture skill/labor back? Since it's been removed, from what I can tell the requirements for buildings that needed it before are now just carpentry for wood, masonry for stone, and any metalsmith labor (besides furnace operation) for metal.

For what it's worth, I'm fine with this being cut in the interest of streamlining things.

It was replaced by those. Mason actually doesn't do anything except what building designer used to do, most of the old mason stuff is now stone carving.

Random thought regarding pathfinding algorithm:

If you pathfinded simultaneously from both dwarf and their goal (lets say a closed room), and formed path when these two floodfills collide (or just use the second pathfinding source to see if its an enclosed space), would that help avoid lags due to unreachable goal (since you will quickly get the result: room is a closed space)?

(also technically if using dijkstras, two small search circles colliding at edge has less area than a single big one, doubling search speed?)
See example:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The game already stores reachability data by assigning a number to each tile in the world. If
Code: [Select]
tile1.reachability == tile2.reachabilitythen the two tiles are reachable, otherwise they're not. The game does not do full pathfinding across the entire map to determine reachability every time a dwarf tries to pathfind to somewhere they can't reach, the game would run at something more like 0.05 FPS rather than the 6 FPS it drops to when multiple units are repeatedly repathing.

Any lag you see from water is actually the game recalculating this reachability map, rather than anything water is doing in and of itself.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: January 12, 2023, 05:43:13 am »

The child ages was probably done to appease modern ideas about adulthood, to make the game "acceptable" for sale across the world<…>

Ah, so it's mainly capitalism that's to blame for unrealism.

"Divergent realism" at least, it might be said.

Virgil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: January 13, 2023, 09:32:40 am »

I noticed while looking into Legends Mode that certain hyperlinks seem oddly left out? Masterwork Engravings for example, are given names in every other tab, but ONLY allowed to be opened up in the Art Tab. Meanwhile War Logs describing the details of battles including how many combatants and of what type, as well as the aesthetic "who outwitted who" description don't even get a tab of their own, and have to be manually scrolled through the Chronicles By Age Tab to find their appropriate links.

I feel like this is just an honest mistake, because it doesn't make sense that the hyperlinks system would leave out the ease and convenience of having ALL named historical subject matter be hyperlinked to its appropriate tab?

Would love to know if anyone else is having this problem, or if it's just me. Just to clarify again, my problem is that Masterwork Engravings and Warfare Logs are named throughout every other tab but aren't given hyperlinks except through very specific tabs, whereas other historical subject matter always has a hyperlink no matter what tab you're in.

If it's named, it has a hyperlink across all tabs, except for these two apparently?

Updated Edit: Apparently the Structures Tab is also not hyperlinked through other tabs - does this just need a lil more time to be fully implemented then? Only asking cus I love the hyperlinks system and it gets pretty grating to have to keep backtracking to figure out where certain bits of named information are hiding.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 09:44:18 am by Virgil »

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: January 13, 2023, 04:17:25 pm »

A question to Putnam. What was your first impression on DF source code as a developer? Was it good? Was it OK? Was ot bad?

MarioWizard119

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: January 13, 2023, 07:42:50 pm »

<@&300656597913436160>

Hi! I’ve been a fan for a few years now and I absolutely adore this game and I want to give my congratulations on the Steam Release’s success. It warms my heart seeing 20 years worth of work be well rewarded. I’ve also gotten into the modding scene for various games, as I’m an aspiring computer science student, after all, today’s modders are tomorrow’s programmers, as Putnam can attest (congrats on that by the way, I can only imagine it was a dream come true). With the Steam release, I was inspired to get into the DF modding scene. I’m working on an overhaul mod that allows for a more automated playstyle, through setting up complex production chains (and even some real life chemistry) to get resources that would otherwise require manual player input. If any of ya’ll play modded Minecraft, think Skyblock.

A few questions for Toady and/or Putnam regarding modding capabilities

Any idea if or how I could change which “group” professions are in, or add new ones?

For example, if I wanted to move stone crafting and woodcrafting from craftsman to stoneworker and woodworker respectively

Or if I had some sort of Industrial Revolution mod that required an “Electrician” job, and I wanted to put it under engineering.

Or if I wanted to break up craftsman and farmer into separate smaller category professions (rancher, chef, cloth worker, etc)

Also, would it be possible to assign custom profession names to exclusively legendary civilian dwarves akin to the military ones? I like to give them custom nicknames, so I know not to conscript them, and I was wondering if I could use the raws to do that automatically. There has to be something that signals them to blink.

Also with music, how do the particular raw elements for the soundtracks work? Do the sound cards trigger with the same conditions as their full song counterparts? Does the game respect track length, so you could plug in full tracks of your own in place of the sound cards without worrying about overlap, or even add new ones?

I’m aware that many of these can be easily done with third party programs and scripts, but one of the things I like about DFPremium is its streamlined nature, you don’t need five windows open to play the game properly, only 2, the game and web browser of choice for the wiki. That and many of them aren’t quite ready for v50 yet.

Also, one thing I wished was there was active mods being a part of worldgen profiles. With workshop support comes that accursed green button, and all of a sudden making a world with all the mods you blindly downloaded becomes a tiny bit of a pain. I suppose I could take the various files from the objects folders from the mods, and stuff them into a single “gigamod”, but I fear there would be conflicts should things need to be loaded in a particular order.

I’m eager to explore Dwarf Fortress as a medium for creation from a modding standpoint as well as the story creator it’s always been!

I have discovered the poocode, I am going to resurrect it and there is nothing you can do to stop me.

Also, an addendum that doesn’t really have to do with mods but rather a question about a major change with the labors. While I am a fan of the removal of Architecture and the division of building designs to the various materials, I’m left scratching my head on the changes regarding the Stoneworker labors. Why was Mason made exclusively for building designing with stone, whereas Carpenter and Blacksmith had building designing tacked on? Why was stone detailing split up into stonecutting, which also now holds the ability to make blocks, rather than stonecarver, and engraving? Was it done to make engraving harder to level and stonecutting easier to level?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:14:26 am by MarioWizard119 »

IronGremlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: January 13, 2023, 08:45:11 pm »

A question to Putnam. What was your first impression on DF source code as a developer? Was it good? Was it OK? Was ot bad?

If we have questions about code and we want someone to actually answer them in a forum where the sole author of said code is reading their response, it might be advisable to ask questions that can be answered more objectively.

Tarn's an amazingly chill human being, so maybe he'd be alright with being a little irreverent about code quality, but even so, this is his life's work - it's not like code you'd work on at your job that slowly grows into a monster that nobody really owns anymore, it's one guy's baby.  Best case they laugh a little and give you an answer like : "Well there are some gnarly bits but that's to be expected" - which doesn't tell you much anyway. 

If we're more specific and objective, we're likely to get a better response, and we don't run the risk of giving the impression that we're digging around for mud to sling - not saying that's what you're doing, just saying it's a little funky.

Here are some examples of specific, more objective questions about the code:

- What areas seem like they are most/least optimized?

- Are the techniques Tarn is using familiar patterns, or is this mostly novel?

- Is there anything interesting that you can tell us about how the project is organized?

- How approachable was the project? Do you feel like you're getting a handle on it or do you think you might be lost for awhile?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: January 13, 2023, 09:32:36 pm »

Well, it's pretty well-optimized and the biggest low-hanging fruit I found was an oversight rather than some fundamental optimization issue. The rest is as you would expect from a decades-long solo project, which is to say, consistent enough that I can actually get used to it, which is, to be frank, the best one can ever ask for.

MarioWizard119

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: January 14, 2023, 12:44:33 am »

Well, it seems from digging deeper I’ve answered a few of my own questions.

To force name color changes, I could probably make a bunch of appointed “noble” positions corresponding to the category professions, with matching colors.

As for appearances, I noticed colors were assigned to professions, not the other way around, and they’re assigned by individual clothing item. Like I could make woodcrafters have blue shirts but yellow pants and shoes.

Though one thing I noticed while digging is that none of the colors had any noble, soldier, or other assigned professions attached to them, therefore they use all black as a default, was this intentional? I could see no colors having soldiers defined cause you’d want them to have the armor material instead, but the nobles and assigned positions I’m not sure about.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:46:21 am by MarioWizard119 »

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: January 14, 2023, 03:12:43 am »

Well, it's pretty well-optimized and the biggest low-hanging fruit I found was an oversight rather than some fundamental optimization issue. The rest is as you would expect from a decades-long solo project, which is to say, consistent enough that I can actually get used to it, which is, to be frank, the best one can ever ask for.
Thanks, Putnam))

magistrate101

• Bay Watcher
  • That one kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: January 14, 2023, 03:31:51 am »

I've got two main questions:

1. Could a toggle get added to the stocks screen that hides all the placed/constructed items? It's impossible to know how much of a metal you have left if you used some for walls/floors as they're counted together and you can only tell if it's been used by whether or not the melt button appears for a specific item.
2. Could the stockpile screen be made a bit more granular? ex: Moving clothing to their own category; replacing "usable" and "unusable" toggles with a submenu for equipment/clothe size; creating a writing category that holds sheets, quires, scrolls, book bindings, and scroll rollers (replacing the sheets category). It would be amazing if we could create and edit our own categories like we can for work details, but I understand if that's an ordeal to accomplish.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: January 14, 2023, 03:45:51 am »

I've got two main questions:

1. Could a toggle get added to the stocks screen that hides all the placed/constructed items? It's impossible to know how much of a metal you have left if you used some for walls/floors as they're counted together and you can only tell if it's been used by whether or not the melt button appears for a specific item.
2. Could the stockpile screen be made a bit more granular? ex: Moving clothing to their own category; replacing "usable" and "unusable" toggles with a submenu for equipment/clothe size; creating a writing category that holds sheets, quires, scrolls, book bindings, and scroll rollers (replacing the sheets category). It would be amazing if we could create and edit our own categories like we can for work details, but I understand if that's an ordeal to accomplish.

Suggestions go in the Suggestions Forum.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: January 15, 2023, 04:45:27 pm »

Are the fort mode map exports, timelapse maps, or exportable king lists ever making a comeback?
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: January 15, 2023, 05:24:07 pm »

Are the fort mode map exports, timelapse maps, or exportable king lists ever making a comeback?
From Jan 4th Future of the Fortress:

Quote from: Kadzar
What's the current priority for adding things like maps/exports for Legends mode to the Steam/itch.io release?
Quote from: Stained_Class
Will Legends exports like the xml dump, the maps .bmp exports and other infos on the world like the world gen file, be back in a future version of the Premium game?

It's up there with other stuff that used to be in the game but is missing.  All important to do, and I'd expect all of it back before adventure mode is fully updated because they are all pretty straightforward, but there might be exceptions here and there if the wrinkles get nasty.
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 391