Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2914666 times)

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5190 on: January 15, 2023, 05:48:51 pm »

Ah, missed that. Thanks!

Are the fort mode map exports, timelapse maps, or exportable king lists ever making a comeback?
From Jan 4th Future of the Fortress:

Quote from: Kadzar
What's the current priority for adding things like maps/exports for Legends mode to the Steam/itch.io release?
Quote from: Stained_Class
Will Legends exports like the xml dump, the maps .bmp exports and other infos on the world like the world gen file, be back in a future version of the Premium game?

It's up there with other stuff that used to be in the game but is missing.  All important to do, and I'd expect all of it back before adventure mode is fully updated because they are all pretty straightforward, but there might be exceptions here and there if the wrinkles get nasty.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: January 17, 2023, 05:15:54 pm »

Is it a bug or a feature that water pressure isn't transferred diagonally?

It seems like it's a bug, but the wiki and a lot of people treat it more like a feature.

Edit: Just want to clarify that the water still moves diagonally, but water that has flown diagonally won't flood higher Z levels of the fortress.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 05:19:17 pm by jecowa »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5192 on: January 17, 2023, 05:18:49 pm »

Is it a bug or a feature that water pressure isn't transferred diagonally?

It seems like it's a bug, but the wiki and a lot of people treat it more like a feature.

Quote from: Tachytaenius
Was diagonal gaps removing water pressure an intentional feature, and if not, do you feel like you can't change it now?

I can't think of a specific reason.  It's likely faster to only use four directions, but I don't think that was a concern.  And it's weird, since water can flow diagonally.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: January 17, 2023, 05:23:52 pm »

Sorry for the duplicate question. I searched mantis and couldn't find it as a bug.

Urist McSadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: January 20, 2023, 01:41:57 pm »

Do you have a rough idea on how the fort economies are gonna work after the economy update?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: January 21, 2023, 02:01:37 am »

What is you vision of gods nature in M&M arc? Are they always primodial and unchanged? Or sometimes gods can be created or altered by compound believe of large enough amount of people?

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: January 21, 2023, 07:29:37 am »

What is you vision of gods nature in M&M arc? Are they always primodial and unchanged? Or sometimes gods can be created or altered by compound believe of large enough amount of people?

Being able to kill god is a pretty common element of many different video games, so i wouldn't be surprised if it makes its way into DF.

How do i use sigtext properly?

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: January 21, 2023, 08:29:40 am »

Being able to kill god is a pretty common element of many different video games, so i wouldn't be surprised if it makes its way into DF.
My question was mostly about people being able to create a new god by believing. Or changing god's aspects like sphere by believeing. For example a new religion with slightly different view of the god emerges and becomes dominant in the world will the corresponding god change to fit the religion?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: January 21, 2023, 03:27:53 pm »

My question was mostly about people being able to create a new god by believing. Or changing god's aspects like sphere by believeing. For example a new religion with slightly different view of the god emerges and becomes dominant in the world will the corresponding god change to fit the religion?
As far as I understand, just about anything that's reasonable is desired to be possible.

Real world religions have changed over time, with the pantheon members shifting as the stories about them change (and they've been adopted/taken over by new regimes, such as the Greek pantheon sort of being transformed when the Romans created their pantheon).
The Abrahamic religion branching is an ongoing example of real world religion diversification from a sort of common root ("ongoing" in that new versions pop up over time, claiming to be refinements or the "truth" over whatever they derived from, usually with the "parent" outright rejecting these "children" as just new heretic sects).
In a world where gods actually exist and have agency there may be a need for gods to be able to split (e.g. Zeus spawning a Jupiter that may exist in parallel if the source pantheon remains active in some parts of the world).
The worshiper base affecting the gods is definitely a reasonable case that's been present in fiction.

Gremie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: January 21, 2023, 04:35:29 pm »

I've not heard of any way for a dwarf to completely forget who they are, causing a natural or re-rolled personality???

Have you ever considered adding something like this?
with spells, gods curses, extreme physical or physiological trauma

Are there particular problems that could prevent something like this being added?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5200 on: January 22, 2023, 03:00:36 am »

I've not heard of any way for a dwarf to completely forget who they are, causing a natural or re-rolled personality???

Have you ever considered adding something like this?
with spells, gods curses, extreme physical or physiological trauma

Are there particular problems that could prevent something like this being added?

Use lime green text if you want Toady to read it. This also reads much like a suggestion so consiser putting it on the suggestions board if you can't find it there already.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: January 22, 2023, 02:24:31 pm »

Any chance that some of the money coming in will be spent on digital certificates for bay12games.com and bay12forums.com, and setting them up to use https?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: January 22, 2023, 08:44:27 pm »

Any chance that some of the money coming in will be spent on digital certificates for bay12games.com and bay12forums.com, and setting them up to use https?

I think it's more about time than money. The forum software is in need of an update, but game development has taken priority thus far, especially with Steam release.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 08:46:13 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: January 22, 2023, 09:00:53 pm »

Yeah, you can get SSL certificates for free these days even, so money can't be the problem.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: January 23, 2023, 01:31:44 am »

Yeah, you can get SSL certificates for free these days even, so money can't be the problem.

As far as I know, you’ve always been able to generate your own certificates for free.  The problem is getting those certificates signed by a CA whose root certificate is bundled with most browsers/operating systems.

I know of letsencrypt.org, at least, but I was under the impression that it was only for open source projects (which DF definitely doesn’t qualify as).  Also, even if DF were to qualify, is the required root certificate bundled with the majority of software?

Do you know of any others, besides letsencrypt?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 391