Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2850204 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5205 on: January 23, 2023, 11:04:27 am »

LetsEncrypt has no such requirements. https://letsencrypt.org/docs/faq/
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Kyo1995

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: January 23, 2023, 10:00:11 pm »

Hi Tarn! Hope you're doing well.

Dwarf behaviour is very complex and interesting, but there's one point where it falls flat the most, in my opinion: the way civilians handle threats such as invasions and megabeasts feels very robot-like. How feasible would it be to develop a more "organic" threat response? i. e., the first dwarf to see a threat screams very loudly or something like that, and the citizens in a large area either run to their rooms and lock the doors if they're cowardly, while the braver ones grab the nearest improvised weapons, form a group and go investigate the source of the scream. That and walking around armed and doing voluntary civilian drills after the fortress has been attacked a few times recently would make their behaviour feel much more organic. Can we expect anything like that before or during army & siege update?

Such a behaviour would incentivize you to spread around weapon racks on the fortress, which would be a plus, considering there are few gameplay reasons to use them currently.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 07:37:07 am by Kyo1995 »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: January 23, 2023, 10:42:53 pm »

LetsEncrypt has no such requirements. https://letsencrypt.org/docs/faq/

Interesting.  I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.  After reading that page (and a few others on that site), I’d say that I’d highly recommend that Toady One consider obtaining certificates from them.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

onura46

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: January 24, 2023, 01:04:07 am »

Thank you for introducing so much joy into the world with your games. Hope you're happy and healthy! <3 I usually lurk, but had to join and ask:

• Are cavern invader numbers pulled from local (site) populations like wild animals, whole world pops, or created ex nihilo? There are numbers that appear in detailed Legends exports which I assume sum of the number of "lizard men", for instance, in the entire world. But are there regional subdivisions beyond that, like one group that lives in the mountains and one group in the hills? An amount just for our site maybe?
  • I guess the real question between the lines here is: if I choose to genocidally exterminate pacify all the angry natives, could I cause them to go extinct and/or actually stop invasions?
  • Besides that, any chance for brokering peace with the cavern invaders in the future? Maybe we could offer them tribute? I could sympathize if they didn't want that, though!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 01:25:17 am by onura46 »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5209 on: January 24, 2023, 06:59:49 am »

-snip-

Welcome to the forums, Kyo!

Your questions look very much like suggestions, so try keeping them on the Suggestions Board. This is actually for the sake of the suggestion, since Toady keeps track of them over there, but the same cannot be said of this thread.
Of course, it can be validating to get an answer from Toady, and the line between suggestion and question about the future is not always clear. Consequently, many half-suggestion, half-questions still slip in. Many of these are from new forumites, but we veterans are also guilty from time to time. That said, a rule of thumb I try to use myself is this: if you're making a case for it, it's a suggestion.

Finally, text to Toady should be lime green. :)

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: January 24, 2023, 12:45:55 pm »

Did something change in how minecarts work? Looks like some of the old tricks don't work anymore. FOr example minecarts are no longer generate mist when slide over the water on high speed
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 01:27:19 pm by Criperum »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: January 24, 2023, 04:29:51 pm »

I've noticed mist and stuff is really difficult to see. Have you checked real close, and with the mouse?

But I feel like I do recall something being done with minecarts, like a bug fix or something, but I can't remember what.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NPK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: January 24, 2023, 05:05:49 pm »

I've think I've noticed that wars are more common and long-lasting once one begins playing in the world (as opposed to during world gen). I assume that probably most activities occur differently, or at different rates, in world gen vs after the world has been active. I was wondering how these world events are handled mechanically in the two different modes? Like, is the code for the various types of events similar in both phases or did each event have to be extensively rewritten for world activation? Any notable examples?

Also, do you have a sort of philosophy when it comes to modeling these historical-type events, in terms of how important the involved actors' personalities and ethics should be, or if things like going to war ought to be based on more practical considerations like likelihood of success and some sort of need or goal to achieve? Or should things be randomized and up to interpretation by the player?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 05:12:07 pm by NPK »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: January 24, 2023, 11:31:05 pm »

Outside of a strange mood, Dwarves cannot make blunt weapons out of otherwise wonderfully dense platinum. Is this a game design decision?

For context, there have been several forum threads on this topic but no firm answers:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160130.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95225.0
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:47:21 pm by myk »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: January 25, 2023, 12:14:19 am »

Outside of a strange mood, Dwarves cannot make blunt weapons out of otherwise wonderfully dense gold, platinum, or lead. Is this a game design decision?

For context, there have been several forum threads on this topic but no firm answers:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=160130.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=95225.0
Not sure how it would not be a game design decision. There are metals you can make armor and weapons out of and ones that you can not. That didn't accidentally happen.

Is this simply a suggestion that they should be?

Kyo1995

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: January 25, 2023, 07:33:14 am »

-snip-

Welcome to the forums, Kyo!

Your questions look very much like suggestions, so try keeping them on the Suggestions Board. This is actually for the sake of the suggestion, since Toady keeps track of them over there, but the same cannot be said of this thread.
Of course, it can be validating to get an answer from Toady, and the line between suggestion and question about the future is not always clear. Consequently, many half-suggestion, half-questions still slip in. Many of these are from new forumites, but we veterans are also guilty from time to time. That said, a rule of thumb I try to use myself is this: if you're making a case for it, it's a suggestion.

Finally, text to Toady should be lime green. :)

Thank you for the heads up! I edited my question for clarity.

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: January 25, 2023, 11:16:24 am »

What is you vision of gods nature in M&M arc? Are they always primodial and unchanged? Or sometimes gods can be created or altered by compound believe of large enough amount of people?

As to the second question, a wild guess is pretty wild, but...it's most likely some amount of both?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 05:58:39 pm by Silverwing235 »

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: January 25, 2023, 07:39:58 pm »

Not sure how it would not be a game design decision. There are metals you can make armor and weapons out of and ones that you can not. That didn't accidentally happen.

Is this simply a suggestion that they should be?

Some things are just the way they are because of oversight. This particular question came up on the DFHack discord about whether options for platinum weapons should be offered to the player by default or if that constituted circumventing a game design choice.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: January 25, 2023, 08:54:06 pm »

I'm guessing it's for historical accuracy. Gold and Lead might be too soft to use for weapons. Before AD 1400, it looks like Platinum was only used in Gold Alloys for things like jewelry, not for tools. Doesn't explain Platinum minecarts, though.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 389