Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 390

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2894999 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5220 on: January 26, 2023, 09:01:18 pm »

It's likely a means of keeping the AI from making bad choices on materials used for weapons and armor. I.e. gold is too heavy for armor and weapons made exclusively from it, except for ceremonial purposes, are too soft and break too quickly. Yeah, early civilizations would use what they had available even if it was shit, but DF is supposed to be simulating a medieval world where international trade can make materials available even if a particular civ or site doesn't have access to them on their own. And as a choice, with the rarity and cost of platinum and gold, and especially the weaknes of gold, you'd want to use it ornamentally on weapons and armor if at all, and make the equipment out of more suitable materials. But the AI is too stupid/hasn't been programmed to ignore inferior materials choices for military equipment. They still use copper, for instance, when they have access to iron, bronze or steel in sufficient quantities to outfit their forces. We could remove copper too, but that takes away yet another option from players.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: January 26, 2023, 10:24:47 pm »

It's likely a means of keeping the AI from making bad choices on materials used for weapons and armor.
 but DF is supposed to be simulating a medieval world where international trade can make materials available even if a particular civ or site doesn't have access to them on their own.
But the AI is too stupid/hasn't been programmed to ignore inferior materials choices for military equipment. They still use copper, for instance, when they have access to iron, bronze or steel in sufficient quantities to outfit their forces. We could remove copper too, but that takes away yet another option from players.
So, while this does help to filter out large sets of bad options, it’s situational (relies on assumptions that are not always true), crude (does not discern daggers from mauls),and still insufficient.
It would work better with more functional categories (e.g. tags for suitability as bludgeon, blade, handle or spring) and somewhat randomized optimization criteria (performance/cost/weight).
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: January 26, 2023, 10:36:18 pm »

That's true, but none of those solutions have been implemented yet. We still only have like two flags defining what is and is not acceptable to use for weapons or armor. It's a good suggestion for the future though

So it's one of those questions where the answer is "sounds good, maybe we'll get to it in the army arc"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 10:39:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: January 26, 2023, 10:37:28 pm »

It's likely a means of keeping the AI from making bad choices on materials used for weapons and armor.
 but DF is supposed to be simulating a medieval world where international trade can make materials available even if a particular civ or site doesn't have access to them on their own.
But the AI is too stupid/hasn't been programmed to ignore inferior materials choices for military equipment. They still use copper, for instance, when they have access to iron, bronze or steel in sufficient quantities to outfit their forces. We could remove copper too, but that takes away yet another option from players.
So, while this does help to filter out large sets of bad options, it’s situational (relies on assumptions that are not always true), crude (does not discern daggers from mauls),and still insufficient.
It would work better with more functional categories (e.g. tags for suitability as bludgeon, blade, handle or spring) and somewhat randomized optimization criteria (performance/cost/weight).
Brilliant ideas all round. And lost to time by the time a weapon materials rewrite occurs because they were posted to Future of the Fortress thread for some reason. Oh well.

PK1312

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: January 27, 2023, 03:21:47 pm »

LetsEncrypt has no such requirements. https://letsencrypt.org/docs/faq/

Interesting.  I must say that I am pleasantly surprised.  After reading that page (and a few others on that site), I’d say that I’d highly recommend that Toady One consider obtaining certificates from them.

I actually came to this thread to ask why the forums don't have a cert yet considering you can set one up with LetsEncrypt for free in like under 5 minutes lol. Please folks, do it! Then I won't have to click through an annoying warning every time I visit the forums!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: January 28, 2023, 02:12:54 am »

What was the reason the age of adulthood for all races was raised from 12 to 18 in 50.01?

The switch from child to adult is very sudden regardless of the age it happens at, how would you like to see the transition work in some far off future version of the game where all is possible?

(Yeah I know there are threads where people randomly guess at the reasons, but I'm interested in the actual thinking there. 18 is kind of unprecedented for a "medieval" type game regardless of modern sensibilities).

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: January 28, 2023, 11:47:32 am »

<snip/>

I actually came to this thread to ask why the forums don't have a cert yet considering you can set one up with LetsEncrypt for free in like under 5 minutes lol. Please folks, do it! Then I won't have to click through an annoying warning every time I visit the forums!

You can probably in your browser set an exception in your browser for this particular site in your browser.

How do i use sigtext properly?

Fell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: January 30, 2023, 06:19:47 am »

Is it a possibility to bring back the [PRINT_MODE:TEXT] text mode? I loved to play 47.05 on multiple devices via SSH.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: January 30, 2023, 01:16:42 pm »

Is it a possibility to bring back the [PRINT_MODE:TEXT] text mode? I loved to play 47.05 on multiple devices via SSH.

If all goes well, should be available in at least the Linux version.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: January 30, 2023, 02:58:19 pm »

In older versions, it was possible to secede from your civ by rejecting the offer to become a barony. This apparently has been changed to only delay the question until the next year without changing political relations. Will the option to secede come back?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: January 30, 2023, 04:59:29 pm »

In older versions, it was possible to secede from your civ by rejecting the offer to become a barony. This apparently has been changed to only delay the question until the next year without changing political relations. Will the option to secede come back?
It's never been possible to secede from your civ. At least not since 2014 when the outside world was turned on. Maybe a thing before that? Not sure.

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: January 30, 2023, 05:37:37 pm »

<snip>
It's never been possible to secede from your civ. At least not since 2014 when the outside world was turned on. Maybe a thing before that? Not sure.

I was uncertain so I googled far and wide before asking, and my source for that was Toady himself! Though to be more specific, he said you can "sort of" secede.

Source http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.msg5140546#msg5140546
Quote from: ToadyOne, in 2014
Quote from: Dirst, in 2014
Will a fortress be able to secede from its parent civilization?  Would this be under player control, or need to result from a factional conflict?

You can sort of do that when you refuse to become a barony, but there still aren't repercussions.  We won't get into that until start scenarios, outside settlements and your own map armies start coming into play.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: January 30, 2023, 05:55:21 pm »

Good afternoon!

Regarding stairs, I realized that we can no longer build an Up-Stair directly on the same tile as a carved Up/Down stair, to block entry from lower elevations. Was that an intentional change?
Are there also plans to re-implement the ability to build 1 elevation stairs--instead of spanning at minimum 2 elevations--for situations like these where we only want one stair?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 07:33:35 pm by Lexyvil »
My post ends here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: January 30, 2023, 06:16:57 pm »

<snip>

I was uncertain so I googled far and wide before asking, and my source for that was Toady himself! Though to be more specific, he said you can "sort of" secede.

Source http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100851.msg5140546#msg5140546
Quote from: ToadyOne, in 2014
Quote from: Dirst, in 2014
Will a fortress be able to secede from its parent civilization?  Would this be under player control, or need to result from a factional conflict?

You can sort of do that when you refuse to become a barony, but there still aren't repercussions.  We won't get into that until start scenarios, outside settlements and your own map armies start coming into play.
Right "sort of". But you still get migrants from your civilization and their trade caravans, and go to war when your civ goes to war, and when you retire, the site will be treated exactly like any other member of the civilization. So, "sort of but not really at all" is the current situation.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: February 02, 2023, 12:12:35 am »

February report earnings figures.
Wooo!!! Ha ha. Congratulations, very well deserved. :)
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 390