Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 390

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2890652 times)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5295 on: March 04, 2023, 01:09:55 pm »

Sorry, modded creature. Have skulking and brooding regular dwarves creating artifacts too.

But, yeah, no vermin remains that I can see, which is presumably what Toady meant about not getting all the materials done.

Also, baffled as to where you get 33% from?? You have access to Toady's code?

Ran a fairly exhaustive series of tests. It supports the notion that all historical animal bone artifacts are now produced exclusively by dwarves who are listed as having had macabre moods, as of premium.

33%
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/plugins/strangemood.cpp#L721
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/plugins/strangemood.cpp#L725

It's zero-dot-fifty, not zero-point-five!
Heh, my bad!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 04:30:22 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: March 04, 2023, 01:27:15 pm »

Sorry, modded creature. Have skulking and brooding regular dwarves creating artifacts too.

But, yeah, no vermin remains that I can see, which is presumably what Toady meant about not getting all the materials done.

Also, baffled as to where you get 33% from?? You have access to Toady's code?

Ran a fairly exhaustive series of tests. It supports the notion that all historical animal bone artifacts are now produced exclusively by dwarves who are listed as having had macabre moods, as of premium.

Where did I get 33% from?
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/plugins/strangemood.cpp#L721
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/plugins/strangemood.cpp#L725

wg moods obviously don't work the same as fort mode moods. Macabre moods just choose a random bone mat available to the civ, no weighting on vermin or anything.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: March 04, 2023, 01:37:43 pm »

wg moods obviously don't work the same as fort mode moods. Macabre moods just choose a random bone mat available to the civ, no weighting on vermin or anything.

Yes, obviously! But thank you for confirming which materials are selected in ".50.07" 

-------
edit:
Putnam pointed out something, which I guess I hadn't grasped. World gen produced artifacts are not necessarily intended to be weighted the same as they are in fort mode. Like, its fallacious to assume product likelihood is supposed to be an approximation of what is produced in fort mode. The spirit of the thing is whats most important. So apologies for that!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 03:15:15 am by dikbutdagrate »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: March 04, 2023, 06:16:21 pm »

- Is there a technical or design reason why a tomb zone can not support multiple coffins? (each coffin must be its' own zone)
- What news of new music & graphics for premium?
- Are friendly Necromancer Experiments supposed to be so common?  I rarely see them invade, but a whole bunch show up at every Fort as scholars and visitors.
- The caverns still regularly see multiple hundreds of invaders pile up, regardless of caps.  Is this strictly a difficulty setting, or something that needs further adjustment?
- Is the lack of caravans from your home civ after becoming the Mountainhome intentional?
- Modding: I just learned that blocks specifically (as opposed to any other crafting item) made from non-stone/metal material (bones, cheese, etc.) can not be assigned to a stockpile.  Do blocks not retain their respective material_token properties, or is this a stockpile issue? Answered by Putnam

Quote from: Immortal-D
- Is a non-mouse interface for Classic theoretically possible with all of the UI changes (regardless of plans for it)?

- Like keyboard only?  That's where we're hoping to head now that we're emerging into the quality of life phase slowly after the arena patch.  I think there are things that are hard about it, but if some kind of focused element can be made to live in the menus that should get us a lot of the way there.  Hotkeys alone won't do it.  Of course this means you'll be back to pressing keys 50 times to do simple things, but I think maybe that's just how things would be.
Honestly, the old keyboard controls really were not that bad, despite the memes about it.  It could use a little polish, but for a game like this, keyboard cursor is so much faster and efficient.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 06:04:01 pm by Immortal-D »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: March 04, 2023, 07:37:19 pm »

Is there a technical or design reason why a tomb zone can not support multiple coffins? (each coffin must be its' own zone)
Because dwarves claim zones right now, not furniture. It's exactly the same system as bedrooms and offices.
You'd need to make a new system for tombs which allowed claimable furniture to work the way you want it to.
(Not that it wouldn't be a good idea, and there are several suggestions threads asking for it already).

Also eventual plans for a catacombs zone were mentioned in an earlier fotf:
I was considering adding a 'catacomb' style zone that works like a dormitory for the dead.  Have to tweak coffin 'ownership' a bit to make it work.  (I don't remember if it technically counts as catacombs if the bodies aren't in the open rather than enclosed in individual caskets.  We'd still be using individual caskets here, just no doors.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 07:43:09 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Jack_Caboose

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: March 08, 2023, 08:36:40 pm »

Would it be possible to use letters as a backup for creature/item graphics if there's no graphical tile for it? Similar to what CDDA does.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: March 09, 2023, 12:14:52 am »

Would it be possible to use letters as a backup for creature/item graphics if there's no graphical tile for it? Similar to what CDDA does.
Suggestions forum is where you want to be. The game currently already has default graphics for when there isn't one available. So what's a better alternative? Just a random tiny letter thrown into the graphical environment would be lost immediately. Debug guy is far more visible. So, do you make a new tileset of graphics that look like the letters A-Z? But then do you want to differentiate creatures from items? In which case several new tilesets..

Anyhow, if you have a good solution, suggestions forum is probably the best place for it. I like the idea of branding the debug guy with a letter on his forehead representing what he's supposed to be.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: March 09, 2023, 02:16:31 am »

If the creature raws still define a character for things it would make sense to fall back to an image of that character (basically the tile set image used by the Classic version) if the currently selected tile set (which might not be an official one) doesn't contain the character. I also have third party tool usage of character images in mind (where character tiles from the character tile set would be addressed directly).

While having the debug creature wear a T-shirt with a character on it would be cool for creatures, I suspect the available number of pixels won't be sufficient to actually depict legible characters in many cases.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: March 09, 2023, 03:29:48 am »

This has also already been answered:
Quote from: Urist McSadist
1.Right now modded creatures without textures show up as the debug creature, which can be annoying. Will this get changed?

Ziusudra: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8433121#msg8433121
Mr Crabman: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8433168#msg8433168
Shonai_Dweller: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8433262#msg8433262
Mr Crabman: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8433380#msg8433380
Urist McSadist (op): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8433714#msg8433714

1. It's possible to have options I suppose, but I don't want ASCII generally to show up in the graphical release without opt-in.  It would be more confusing.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: March 09, 2023, 05:08:02 am »

If the creature raws still define a character for things it would make sense to fall back to an image of that character (basically the tile set image used by the Classic version) if the currently selected tile set (which might not be an official one) doesn't contain the character. I also have third party tool usage of character images in mind (where character tiles from the character tile set would be addressed directly).

While having the debug creature wear a T-shirt with a character on it would be cool for creatures, I suspect the available number of pixels won't be sufficient to actually depict legible characters in many cases.
What about a hat, like..a chef's hat. Bet you could fit a small, visible letter on there.   :D

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: March 09, 2023, 04:07:44 pm »

Is there a technical or design reason why a tomb zone can not support multiple coffins? (each coffin must be its' own zone)
Because dwarves claim zones right now, not furniture. It's exactly the same system as bedrooms and offices.
You'd need to make a new system for tombs which allowed claimable furniture to work the way you want it to.
(Not that it wouldn't be a good idea, and there are several suggestions threads asking for it already).

Also eventual plans for a catacombs zone were mentioned in an earlier fotf:
I was considering adding a 'catacomb' style zone that works like a dormitory for the dead.  Have to tweak coffin 'ownership' a bit to make it work.  (I don't remember if it technically counts as catacombs if the bodies aren't in the open rather than enclosed in individual caskets.  We'd still be using individual caskets here, just no doors.)
Much obliged.

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: March 10, 2023, 03:21:32 pm »

No doubt Steam graphics will be reused in Adventure mode. But, is there still much to be done in the graphic section for this mode by artists?
And in the sound section, can we finally enjoy a soundtrack in Adventure mode?

stoyang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: March 13, 2023, 07:04:01 pm »

I am curious about the overall development of Dwarf Fortress. You on occasion mention upgrading the compiler, using visual studio 20XX and the like. As a programmer I wanted to ask, what automated tools do you use to help keep the code healthy and stop bugs before they begin? Examples being clang-tidy, gtest, or GSL (from microsoft). On the same vein, have you updated any parts of the code recently to use more modern patterns from C++11/14/17/20 I know that this is a relatively large project and started long ago so I imagine some things like unique_ptr/optional are not heavily used.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: March 13, 2023, 07:41:09 pm »

I've personally updated a lot of stuff to use C++11 and on lately, it wasn't that much of an undertaking. Why, I even have a bit of code (don't expect to see it in production for a looong time) that uses concepts!
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 390