Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851269 times)

stoyang

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5310 on: March 15, 2023, 08:17:10 pm »

I've personally updated a lot of stuff to use C++11 and on lately, it wasn't that much of an undertaking. Why, I even have a bit of code (don't expect to see it in production for a looong time) that uses concepts!

That's existing to hear, I wonder, specifically for your work, have you been looking at the sdl3 development? I know its ongoing and lots of things will change between now and release, but are there things you are upgrading to sdl2 where you might have to rework them again later? Is there anything you can do to make the sdl3 conversion easier?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5311 on: March 16, 2023, 01:16:49 pm »

With the "baby update" either already being out by the time this is answered, or coming soon, are there any plans to go into the raws and give some creatures the CHILD token/child stages? Or is there some thematic meaning behind certain creatures being locked out of domestication due to being born as adults? The giant variants of animals which should metamorphose is understandable, since it'd presumably take a body rewrite to get proper giant cave tadpoles, and giant flea tadpoles. There is an argument for dragons too, since they are an ultimate beast of sorts. But crundles are less obvious.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: March 16, 2023, 07:31:04 pm »

Where did the idea come from to call insect blood "ichor", rather than simply calling it "hemolymph"? And what edition of DF did insect blood start being referred to as ichor?

I can't find any descriptions of insect blood being called ichor prior to 2012 and outside of DF.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 11:22:59 pm by dikbutdagrate »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: March 16, 2023, 07:48:03 pm »

Where did the idea come from to call insect blood "ichor", rather than simply calling it "hemolymph"? And what edition of DF did insect blood start being referred to as ichor?
I can't find any descriptions of insect blood being called ichor prior to 2012, and outside of DF for that matter.

Does Bay12 call dibs on the copyright? Or does it abstain from making such a claim?
Theres an interview with some comic book artist, in which a claim is made concerning their appropriation of the word "ichor," which is what the insect people in the comic call their own blood, as hemolymph sounded too formal for the writer/artist. The comic book was published back in 2018, but I'm dead certain DF has that beat by at least 6 years.
I've been playing for 10 years and it's been called ichor the whole time. I can't speak of anything before that.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: March 16, 2023, 08:23:59 pm »

Doesn't ichor date back to the Greeks?  Seems a bit of a stretch for someone to try and copywrite it.

Edit: Not that Google is the untimate arbiter of truth, but "a watery discharge from a wound" sounds about right for how it appears in game
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 08:27:38 pm by Schmaven »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: March 16, 2023, 11:17:39 pm »

Doesn't ichor date back to the Greeks?  Seems a bit of a stretch for someone to try and copywrite it.

The word does, but not the definition of it being applied by DF.

Ichor was the blood of the gods of mount Olympus. And as far as I am aware, the word ichor was not historically used in referring to mosquito and ant men blood.

Copyright is something that technically happens automatically, but I still went ahead and edited out the question anyway.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 02:05:14 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: March 17, 2023, 02:06:07 am »

Besides the Greek mythology usage, Google says "Watery blood. Archaic". So fits perfectly. There's lots of archaic language in the game. Can't copyright olde english...

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: March 17, 2023, 10:25:55 pm »

Not being able to put children in jail is horrible.

Look at these stats T. LOOK AT THEM! Its permanently crippled at least eight of my dwarves thus far, and it's only 9 years old.
The stupid thing's parents are dead, so I can't evict it. And it throws a fit like twenty times a month.

By the look of things, I'm stuck with "it" for another 9 years if the fort manages to survive this thing (Its only a matter of time before it gets a title.)

Why are you doing this to me? And when will you make it stop?!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: March 18, 2023, 02:32:01 am »

I can't find any descriptions of insect blood being called ichor prior to 2012 and outside of DF.
2010 DF calls insect blood Ichor in the raws.
Earlier versions don't have it in the raws, but they do have a tag "blood type=W" which presumably gives them white blood. Not sure if it calls it "ichor" in-game. Don't feel like insect hunting in DF 21

Hase. Oster.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: March 19, 2023, 03:04:46 am »

Are there any plans for fixing/improving the ASCII UI? Right now it looks like the graphical UI copied one-to-one, which doesn't really work (for example, the magnifying glass icon in the workshop menu makes zero sense in ASCII, a simple capital D for "Details" would work a hundred times better - and the list goes on and on).

Also cannot help but note that there is nothing wrong with the keyboard-only controls, I am very much looking forward to their return (as a general way of playing, not the old key-bindings).

BlackAion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5320 on: March 20, 2023, 02:08:16 pm »

Im not sure this has ever been brought up but with the Myth and Magic release coming soonish will the gods and magic system allow for more varied, developed and complex megabeasts? Better yet will we get sentient races of megabeasts and/or primordial god-like beings that wander the world and create vague civilizations of their own? Also will all beings created by the gods look the same from world to world or will they look different.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 03:17:33 pm by BlackAion »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: March 20, 2023, 07:48:49 pm »

Also will all beings created by the gods look the same from world to world or will they look different.
In his Mythgen videos Toady talks about procedurally generated races, including sliders where you can decide how "fantasy" you want your world to be (with the lowest being all-human worlds, the highest as all-procgen and Tolkien-esque in the middle somewhere).
Or do you mean, goblins looking different from one another?

BlackAion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: March 20, 2023, 08:53:18 pm »

Also will all beings created by the gods look the same from world to world or will they look different.
In his Mythgen videos Toady talks about procedurally generated races, including sliders where you can decide how "fantasy" you want your world to be (with the lowest being all-human worlds, the highest as all-procgen and Tolkien-esque in the middle somewhere).

Im asking if a dragon or elf or goblin etc. will look exactly the same from world to world after the Myth update. Or will they look different. Cause I dont know about the community but fighting a flying dragon literally bigger than the mountain your fort is in would be awesome. And Dragons can come in all shapes and sizes. Elves and most other fantasy races too.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dnd-amulets-of-saegkkal/images/f/f2/Zhengyi-wang-composition5-9-copy.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20191212143124

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 09:05:13 pm by BlackAion »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: March 21, 2023, 06:47:18 am »

Im asking if a dragon or elf or goblin etc. will look exactly the same from world to world after the Myth update. Or will they look different. Cause I dont know about the community but fighting a flying dragon literally bigger than the mountain your fort is in would be awesome. And Dragons can come in all shapes and sizes. Elves and most other fantasy races too.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/dnd-amulets-of-saegkkal/images/f/f2/Zhengyi-wang-composition5-9-copy.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20191212143124
Ah, yes interesting. I seem to recall asking about that a long, long time ago. Will see if I can dig up the replay at the time (answer may have changed of course).

-- oh, there we go (seems like a "possibly yep"):

Shonai_Dweller:
When mythgen is complete will the civilizations be limited to Dwarf, Elf, Human, Goblin, Random Monstrosity (depending on your 'random' setting) or are you looking into having it throw out existing races as civs too (gnome, minotaur, gorlak, mountain goat, etc)?

Whatsifsowhatsit
With the upcoming (probably in the far future, but even so) generalization of fantasy races into a system where you can be toward the realistic (just humans) or toward the totally fantastic (naught but procedurally generated creatures), will at some point the stock races also see some more variability? Currently (for example) goblins are rather evil and elves are immortal cannibals; this is certainly not true in all fantasy. In Warcraft, goblins are a bit sneaky and rather capitalistic, but not necessarily evil or violent, and I don't think the LotR elves eat their own dead. Sometimes elves also just live longer lives rather than being fully immortal (to death by aging). Will such alternate possibilities at any point be included, and if so, how much, if any, player control do you envision over such things?

Toady One:
I haven't thought very much about the mutation of the raws to allow things to become partially what they are -- the side project myth generator kind of adds magical properties while trying to respect some pre-existing data, but those problems will be much more difficult when I actually try to plug it into DF.  It might be too difficult/etc. to rewind the raws, rather than having some sort of more unspecified version of each creature that it can use in place of the vanilla versions (which would amount to the dragon generator we'd wanted to experiment with in terms of random creature raw files).  It's unclear what we'll end up with, but it's certainly in line with our "fantasy world simulator" goals.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 06:51:18 am by Shonai_Dweller »

BlackAion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: March 21, 2023, 01:15:28 pm »

Sorry for multiple questions but will we will be able to make larger worlds? Like as in worlds so large they dwarf Earth since that has happened a few times in fiction albeit rarely. HunterXHunter and Toriko specifically had worlds so ridiculously big that the areas in which humans other sentients lived in amounted to a few small islands in middle of a lake. Not an inland ocean but a lake.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 389