Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2914521 times)

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5355 on: April 06, 2023, 10:00:46 am »

Out of all (of) the story's from the community, which one is your(Your?) favorite?

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 06:01:27 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Vanzetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: April 06, 2023, 01:23:42 pm »

Is it intentional for the elves to count cavern trees as their own, or is it a bug?

BlackAion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: April 06, 2023, 01:24:16 pm »

To add to the replies, there's also that concept of the constrained dragon generator I've mentioned from time to time, and that applies to things like elves too, where there are lots of concepts that get mixed up, producing something 'elf'-like for a given setting.  And there's the 'editor' style constraints, and the myth-imposed constraints.  Once we have frameworks like that in place, we should be in a good position.  We want to be able to build up raw definitions in various ways, with various stakeholders in the outcome - this seems possible anyway ha ha.

I see. Well Im glad its a possibility lol.

Yeah there are technical issues, some parts of the game are slower, from army pathfinding to save/load from the raw size of them.  Map rewrite should get us some concepts of infinite worlds, but there's a trade-off since the information can't all be stored, it doesn't solve pathing on its own, and nothing gets around the fundamental problems of procedural emptiness and repetition except for the hard work of adding variety.

Hmm. Would it be possible to cheat and use the constrained Dragon/Elf/etc. generators you mentioned to do the bulk of the work then going in to add the finishing touches to it? Like for example say you had a constrained Giant generator which produces a giant of some description. You could then just take that data and refurbish a little, giving it keywords like can build civilizations, cast magic etc. then plop it somewhere in the arbitrarily large wilderness.

Additionally, couldnt we also have the gods be the generators of Variety? In-game they could be filling up the procedural emptiness with creations/magics/landforms etc. during the Age of Myths. Shouldnt be a problem with technical issues as the game wont keep track of it, just notes that something happened there.

Additionally additionally, would it be possible to code in an in-game file compressor to hold all that data?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 01:35:03 pm by BlackAion »

BOOXMOWO

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: April 06, 2023, 02:33:23 pm »

Couple of questions about the difficulty settings:

What exactly does the "Vampire Migrant Fraction" do? I can assume it prevents vampires from coming to your fortress, but where does it factor in and how many more vampires do you get at the minimum setting of 1 in comparison to the default setting of 100?

Which of the economic/landholder triggers are needed for the monarch's arrival? Or is that a completely independent threshold?

I think you've implied this before, but just to confirm: Are all three of "Forgotten Beast Sensitivity", "Forgotten Beast Irritation Minimum", and "Forgotten Beast Wealth Divisor" also being used to control the rate of Cavern Dweller invasions?

Judicator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: April 09, 2023, 07:11:50 pm »

What are your present thoughts on programming Dwarf Fortress using AI assistance like GitHub Copilot?

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: April 11, 2023, 01:16:36 am »

Is it intentional for the elves to count cavern trees as their own, or is it a bug?

As far as anyone is aware it continues to be a feature.
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2932
Reported on Mantis in 2010, with tags Intentional/Expected?

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: April 11, 2023, 02:22:40 am »

As far as anyone is aware it continues to be a feature.
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2932
Reported on Mantis in 2010, with tags Intentional/Expected?

Ah, but that's a volunteer manager's tag, not a reply from Tarn, although it may be inspired by a developer utterance elsewhere that I'm unaware of.

I think following the infamous Lycanthrope Declaration, any new "bug or feature" question is presumptively valid.
Team Bug Fix!

Elf Lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: April 11, 2023, 09:43:57 am »

I understand you have very little way of knowing but do you believe myth and magic will release this decade? Simply curious.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5363 on: April 11, 2023, 10:21:36 am »

I understand you have very little way of knowing but do you believe myth and magic will release this decade? Simply curious.

Remember to mark questions to Toady in lime green! (I did it for you in case you don't frequent this thread)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: April 11, 2023, 05:32:57 pm »

We have a whole thread on guessing when the myth and magic release will come. That's full of people who have no way of knowing. :)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172494.msg7879631#msg7879631

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: April 16, 2023, 02:36:53 pm »

The current non-layered graphics definitions seem to be a very cut down version of what we had with graphics sets. The main addition being caste specific graphics.

Do you plan to bring back a similar level of flexibility that has been lost in the move to premium. Specifically:
a) the ability to set graphics for individual professions. Layered conditions only include broad categories that don't even contain a bunch of professions such as doctors, bards, mercenaries, nobles.
b) the ability to set graphics for the different soldier types: recruit, swordsman, elite swordsman etc. This can be somewhat achieved using layers and item wielded conditions, but not for wrestlers or the elites.
c) same, but for some of the stranger ones: ghosts, prisoners, slaves, adventurers etc.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Listyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: April 19, 2023, 05:22:28 am »

Any hope that export legends functionality will be added to Steam version?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 04:11:00 pm by Listyg »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: April 19, 2023, 07:05:31 am »

Any hope that export legends functionality will be added to Steam version?
The convention used on the forum is to mark questions to Toady in Lime Green to make it easy for him to find the questions when it's time to answer them (you can update your post to do that, rather than add a redundant post).

As far as I am aware, the reason the XML export is missing is that it was one of the things that had to be cut to get the Premium release out in a timely manner, but as far as I know it's intended to be restored (it's currently missing in both the Classic and Premium version, regardless of Premium version vendor).

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: April 19, 2023, 09:15:51 am »

Adventure mode is going to need a whole rpg-style soundscape.  We're seeking an audio engineer for example for this reason. ]Music is also a current discussion.  It should be pretty exciting overall!  And we'll see what comes back to fort mode as well, since sounds (not music) got the short end of the stick there.

Emphasis mine… Has the notion of, I suppose: ‘procedural asset reuse’ (that is, apropos musical forms from any given worldgen) been brought up at all yet in that discussion? (Not that I have any involvement, but; Ad hoc orchestral composition example: tracks 1 and 5 are irrelevant, furthermore I'm told it is, or was, a rough draft: https://soundcloud.com/musicmastermsh/sets/songs-of-zavazsil)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:36:09 am by Silverwing235 »

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: April 20, 2023, 02:51:53 am »

In DF Talk #28, Toady brought up "[adjective] dwarves" as a creature variant originating from mythgen.
The example of cloud dwarves and cloud dragons is a strong example of a shared spherical association. There's a pretty strong cultural background of what a creature associated with the sphere of SKY would be. Power of flight (either innate or as a spell), tissue layers could be given air-themed colors like sky blue or clear, any other interactions they can access would typically be either centered in the sphere of SKY or allowed to trickle in from related spheres.

1. "Cloud dwarves" seems like a question of making the data structure for creature/object variations robust enough to have spherical and arbitrary tagging. Will we see the raw-defined creature variation object be expanded to serve the purpose of mythically-directed randomness in this way?

Like the idea of a single variation comprising [CE_ADD_TAG:CAN_SPEAK] + [CE_ADD_TAG:SKILL_LEARN_RATES:SPEAKING:200] given the sphere of SPEECH, when a creature is speciated to fit the magics of the speech domain. Likewise, different "dragon" abilities and bodies could be stored in the creature variation file with the creature definition calling those, in a way that the world options can briefly look at the creature files to make buttons for.
Perhaps some way to discriminate variant generation by creature tags, that way we don't get redundant silliness like "talking dwarves" and "dark goblins" that describe what they already do. "Bardic dwarves" sounds more apt for an already-speaking creature and is more a flavor matter, but unless the concept of a goblin in DF is reworked to not always originate from dark pits there's not really any meaningful separation between a dark goblin and a banally evil regular goblin. Likewise, you'd need elves that don't live in forests for "wood elf" to be a meaningful discriminator, etc.

2. Will we see the entire concept of a religious sphere also become opened up to modding?
I know sub-domains of ANIMALS was talked about, but the idea of adding new spheres seems like something modders could do easily if the data structure was editable. The god descriptions and language symbols, and hooks in the code to link them with forces and spherical variants.

3. I'm interested in the "humans, and one to two other things" scenario because it means worldgen-relevant procedural entities to elevate certain types of creatures. There are plenty of intelligent creatures already with well-defined associations, how might that be reflected when the game gets around to generating an entity definition for them?
Satyrs love music and parties, gnomes can go in both really dwarfy (the tinker archetype) and really elfy (mushroom houses/"underground wood forest retreat") directions with that Paracelsian link to earth, and animal people should at least pay lip service to their ecological niche (diet and biome primarily). Gorlaks are described as good, so it'd be unusual having them originate a cruel and selfish civilization.
We also can sorta expect spherical associations to loop back around from flavoring original entities to modifying vanilla ones in the same way. Dark elves, if they're more broadly embodying the concept of evil rather than benign non-illumination, would behave in a certain general way. We'd expect them to dwell in cavern layers and dark pits, use evil words in their names, enjoy cruelty and hostility, just basically follow the goblin blueprint. Not all entity changes are created equal, as I'd imagine fire dwarves might be more passionate and prefer settling in warm biomes, but the subspecies is similar enough to integrate with the mountainhome unless there's a cultural rift with ice dwarves.

(edit: removed some further technical ramblings about implementing object variations in relation to mythgen)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 04:59:18 pm by DPh Kraken »
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
I make mods! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181821.0
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 391