Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Newscience II, Correlation Boogaloo: Discovering a new universe!  (Read 8502 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Archive
Record
Discord

This is likely a terrible idea, as I’m already bogged down writing (SG) SPAMOVERLORD and Roll to Dodge: Acter's Revenge, but I’ll try anyway. A co-GM would be sorely appreciated.

So the original Newscience is long-dead and nobody, least of all me, remembers what it was all about, so instead of writing an update I’m going to just do a full reboot. Hopefully this one will last longer.

This is my attempt at capturing the process of scientific inquiry in the format of a forum game.

I’ve devised a system of natural law and a world that is slightly different from ours. Post experiments that you wish to conduct and I will return the results.

There are a few guarantees I will make to simplify things:

• The world is superficially similar to our own. No need to go off determining that grass is green or the sky is blue or the sun sets at night. By “superficially similar” I mean that “an average American citizen, walking for one planetary rotation in a habitable region in this universe, will be unable to find any solid evidence that it is different from ours. Anything visible at a glance? Identical.
  • All political or economic elements will be abstractified out. You do not need to ask whether we have enough money to conduct an experiment or what our data is being used to do or whatever. The “faith in science” thing from the original Newscience will be eliminated. Assume that if you can do something, civilization will find a way. You will be assumed to start at a early-Renaissance level of technology, and the technologies you have developed will limit what you can do. You also are assumed to take the role of a single human settlement, and will have to explore the rest of the world.
  • Newton’s laws remain. All of them. Things have inertia, F=ma holds, and every action has a reaction.
  • Energy and kinetic energy is unchanged. For some definition of energy, the energy in a closed system is conserved, and this definition of energy includes that the energy of a moving object is proportional to the square of its velocity.
  • Don’t rederive calculus. Assume that all math topics are known and can be used in your theories.
  • You are not the center of the universe. Not even close.

All questions and data will be stored on the Newarchive and basic data about each question will be placed in the Newrecord for reference. Data there may be marginally more current so check often.

GO!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:48:57 am by blueturtle1134 »
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Newscience II, Correlation Boogaloo: Discovering a new universe!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:30:19 pm »

Superficially similar, you say?

Grab a guy, willingly or unwillingly, and vivisect him
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 12:35:01 pm »

How about instead we: invent (improve?) the refracting telescope, and then make a reflecting telescope.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 12:38:48 pm »

M8, looking at the first game, this ain’t a suggestion game. More than one experiment happens per turn

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 12:40:56 pm »

M8, looking at the first game, this ain’t a suggestion game. More than one experiment happens per turn

This I can confirm.

Assigned code SB001. Items are classified by topic (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Astronomy) and type (Question, Observation, Study, Experiment). Numbers will be assigned sequentially for all items.

Biology = Study of living things
Physics = Study of elementary laws and principles that govern everything
Geology = Study of objects under the Earth; archaeology falls under this
Astronomy = Study of things in the sky.

Question = An inquiry about the universe, something that people actually living in it would know
Observation = A request to observe something in particular
Study = Something is done to reveal things that are already there
Experiment = An action is carried out and the results observed.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 12:48:10 pm »

I happen to be aware that it's not a suggestion game, I am still going to indicate that that idea's managed to reach the land of "beyond stupid".
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 12:51:34 pm »

I happen to be aware that it's not a suggestion game, I am still going to indicate that that idea's managed to reach the land of "beyond stupid".
I mean, it's not as if it's going to have any repercussions, since blurtle explicitly ruled that sort of thing out.
It's probably not going to yield data we can make any use of at this juncture, of course.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 01:09:54 pm »

How about we look at people who are already dead for this kind of stuff, rather than killing a living person just to see what our innards look like.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 01:21:06 pm »

How about we look at people who are already dead for this kind of stuff, rather than killing a living person just to see what our innards look like.

Yeah. If they'd requested dissection I'd have said that you cut up a dead person. But they specifically requested vivisection, or "live cutting," so...

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 01:25:06 pm »

It only ends in killing if you do it wrong.

I never really got the hang of this "pretend that a few sentences of fiction have moral significance" thing though.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 01:25:58 pm »

WHO NEEDS ETHICS WHEN THERES SCIENCE TO BE DONE!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 01:26:42 pm »

It only ends in killing if you do it wrong.

I never really got the hang of this "pretend that a few sentences of fiction have moral significance" thing though.
We're only Renaissance-level tech. I somehow doubt that our tools are precise enough to not kill them.

WHO NEEDS ETHICS WHEN THERES SCIENCE TO BE DONE!
CAN WE PLEASE NOT BE GLADoS

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 01:38:46 pm »

C'mon Glass, it's only one guy. There is IMPROVEMENT to be made!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 01:45:12 pm »

That is not in the slightest what Improvement means in the context of Acter and you know it full well.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 01:58:21 pm »

That is not in the slightest what Improvement means in the context of Acter and you know it full well.

But I'm a terrible person.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9