Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Forsaken's Interactive 2.0 Stellaris LP - Recruiting for four roles  (Read 6890 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Forsaken's Interactive 2.0 Stellaris LP - Recruiting for four roles
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 04:49:56 pm »

The station around Xuukanis will remain unknown, as Navvbad has not chosen to pursue deciphering its signals at this time.

Sorry about that (kind of) ... the density of encounters is greater than I expected and Navvbad may have to recalculate priorities. It's a xenophile's dream out there. How many of these special projects can we take on at once? I count Gamma Aliens, Epsilon Aliens, Black Hole Construct. Is there one associated with the Cybran too?
It's no worry. Basically in gameplay terms if you begin one of these projects, such as investigating the Gamma Aliens, then the society research on the genome project pauses for the duration. You can only do one at a time. At the current level of society research they'll take 8-10 months. There is not yet one related to the Cybran, all we have found so far are indications that they existed, nothing indepth.

The observation of the Quenti is ongoing and does not detract from your research efforts. Actually we gain social research from it since we observe while influencing them. It does cost some ongoing money to maintain though.

I wouldn't worry about missing some. Some of them will auto-complete as the aliens can research US as well, and will eventually translate our language. They may choose to, they may not.

Current projects:

Investigate Gamma Aliens
Investigate Epsilon Aliens
Investigate Black Hole Construct

Also here's a picture of the alien ship Ivv has uploaded. It's not great as our sensors are primitive as yet:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 07:06:03 pm »

Okay, I won't worry. I've been roleplaying Navvbadd as somewhat over-fond of his creature comforts, and by extension he honestly thinks other Hyphans want to prioritize internal conditions. I'm not sure he actually expected to meet new races, much less 3 intelligences, 1 pre-sapient, and 2 artifacts in eight explored systems!

He's feeling overwhelmed and a little stubborn right now.
If Genome Sequencing would finish this year (I've lost track) go ahead and complete it, then move to Epsilon Aliens.
Else analyze the Black Hole Construct – it could be a holy relic – then back to Genome Sequences.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 07:26:33 pm »

I will admit it came as a surprise to me as well, this map was random and I used default settings. I do have a few mods active but they don't mess with the spawn chances, it was just dumb luck.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 02:36:42 pm »

Debating whether to continue this. Its more fun with interaction generally. Am I boring? Is this a poor format?

There are other potentially more interesting starts with Stellaris, especially with the mods I have. A race that never lives on planets perhaps, but instead builds habitats? A machine race that awakens on an ancient ringworld and is destined to conquer the galaxy? An all-devouring hivemind?

I'd probably need to start over anyway, as patch changes rendered some of the mods unusable.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 03:50:00 pm »

A bit of format and a bit of bad timing, perhaps?

After the long hiatus, many (all!) people who helped choose the setup never came back for the game. It just didn't work with only one contributor.

On top of that, the format of stopping every fixed period to get input never felt quite right to me as representing the gameplay cycles. I know that research never finishes right on the year end. I did end up reading a wiki and I know research points can be saved up, but things like moving the explorers would lag or require heavy authorial intervention.

I don't think your writing is boring at all.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 04:36:18 pm »

For exploration I was planning to either do PMs for orders or just let them give general orders and PM them for specific decisions.

You are correct, research points can be stored up! Any points generated in a month when there is no active project are stored and then a number of points per month equal to your normal generation can be applied to a project once a new one starts. Say you have 100 stored points and you normally generate 10, once you start a project you will be able to apply 10 stored points to it each month in addition to the 10 you generate. That will continue, essentially researching at double speed, until 10 months later when you run out of stored points.

For other input, I was going to move to a looser format once we had a few people contributing with me advancing the background simulation only as needed in order to give people time to roleplay factions or politics. The fixed periods were just to get a few events in and give the world a little outline, as well as push our known borders out a bit.

Should I instead 'pregenerate' an empire by playing it for a few decades and then write it up?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 08:24:53 am »

IDK, my instinct is that being part of the process from the beginning will get the players more invested. If you get to a point with a really good story to tell, one of the more exciting event chains, maybe people will recruit in. But I don't know that I would personally, I'm cautious about joining games in progress.

My unfamiliarity with the specifics of Stellaris isn't much help for suggesting improvements to the plans.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 08:34:55 am »

It occurs to me that with the way I have structured it this is less a LP and more a forum game. Perhaps it would get a better reception in the forum games area.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 03:13:37 pm »

PTW
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 12:18:37 pm »

So I'm thinking of doing another of these now that the new version is out and mostly stable. I have a good set of mods set up. I cut this one off unfortunately due to several circumstances, but primarily because I just didn't have the time I thought I would. I was going into the final classes of my degree program and suddenly had a much larger workload than expected. Now I am nearly done with those classes.

The new story I'm thinking of running with is the Earth That Was, a story of humanity forced into the stars in the year 2200 to flee a dying planet. They move into a makeshift dyson swarm and must survive in space. Will they remain a spaceborn civilization or will they reclaim the earth, terraforming it back to its original state? Living in space does terrible things to a person's body, and living on a planet again after generations in space may prove difficult.

Posting here to check interest and inform anyone still following. I'll be doing it a bit differently this time, with less granular control at first. Any forum members participating will give general strategic guidance rather than deciding event by event what we do. For major events we'll do that but not everything. You'll set policy though, and give overall strategic direction.
Pages: 1 [2]