Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Affordable Wargaming Project: Naval Warfare (New Thread)  (Read 2284 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Affordable Wargaming Project: Naval Warfare (New Thread)
« on: March 03, 2018, 02:23:23 pm »

Welp, seeing as my health has finally recovered to the point where I feel I can work properly again, I wanted to get a project back on track. Namely, the affordable wargaming project

From the first thread:
So, I'm sure more than a few of us on the forums are wargamers. I for one, used to be, until the prices put me off it completely. I doubt I am the only one in this situation. Even with the models, you tend to need expensive rulebooks and paint to go with it.

Now, over the years I have been working on and off on a wargame of my own, and I was also thinking on the best way to eliminate the pricing issue.

Now, what I want to do can basically summed up as an alternate reality version of WW1 and WW2. The game would focus on naval warfare and use weapons and equipment of those eras.

The setting will, of course, be very different (different world, different nations, etc...). Now, in relating to the pricing problems that many wargames suffer from, I want to make this using laminated carboard punch outs. This means no expensive miniatures, no expensive paint, and no painting required.

What I am hoping for is to be able to sell a starter pack (Rulebook, 2 full fleets, and maybe dice and some terrain) for 20-30$ tops. Other fleets would be maybe 10-15$, and things such as terrain and misc. units would be similarly cheap.

Lose your army? Instead of being out hundreds or thousands of dollars, you could replace it for maybe 40$. Rulebook, army, dice, and terrain catch fire and get sucked into a black hole? Same low price.

If I can pull everything off right I can make a fun and decently flesh out game affordable to most anyone.

What I need though is help. I can write out rules and balance factions easily enough, but I can't draw, nor can I write fluff (or write well at all), or provide any kind of editing in regards to the above. I am hoping I can recruit some help in this regard. I want to put a team together and get this to a point where we can start working on publishing, ideally funded by a kickstarter.

If you are interested in pitching in, please feel free to message me. If you have questions or snide remarks, please post them in the thread.
(I won't mind snide remarks or jackassery so long as it is funny!)

Two Important Things to Note:
First off, anyone who works on the project will be compensated. The amount everyone (including myself) would receive would be based on how well the project does.

Second, I am more than willing to be flexible with the art style and the setting. I would love to see what people come up with.
End of Old Thread Content

Now, I HAVE been able to get some basic mechanics laid out. For example, a ship would have these statistics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aside from this, I have also been working on how weapons and range all work together, as well as critical damage effects and aircraft. If you are interested in hearing more, let me know and I will post what I have.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Affordable Wargaming Project: Naval Warfare (New Thread)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 10:39:22 am »

Definitely, definitely posting to watch.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:30:48 am »

So anyways, lets talk about weaponry.

Feel free to tell me what you think.

Edit: Seriously, any feedback at all would help. I need to know if things look good or awful.

Further Edit: Since I am still working out how I want to handle aircraft, I will instead talk about the unit types that you can choose from.

I understand that these are par for the course for most naval games. However, I am also planning on other ship types to supplement these ones as the game gets more developed. These would include things like gunboats, merchants, armed merchants, and others.

Additionally, I was thinking that when players set up a game they would agree on a year that the battle takes place. This would limit what units are available for use, but I am unsure if this system would be welcome. Please tell me what you think.

More Edits: Okay. lets delve into game mechanics and game setup
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:54:49 am by moghopper »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:58:48 am »

Can I please get some feedback? Even if everything is awful, I need to know.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »

Prototype it. After all, printer paper cutouts are only a step away from the finished product. It doesn't have to look good, but give us visual examples of the game mechanics. As they say in writing it is better to write a COMPLETE rough draft no matter how shitty rather than revise the first thing you come up with over and over again.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 01:58:46 pm »

PTW. Seems interesting.

Not very many people frequent Creative Projects, so that probably explains the inactivity. You could perhaps move it to General Discussion, that has more activity and this wouldn't be terribly off-topic there.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 07:04:17 pm »

Prototype it. After all, printer paper cutouts are only a step away from the finished product. It doesn't have to look good, but give us visual examples of the game mechanics. As they say in writing it is better to write a COMPLETE rough draft no matter how shitty rather than revise the first thing you come up with over and over again.

I will work on it this weekend then! I will be stuck inside anyways and it should prove interesting.

What specifically would you like demonstrated? I try to cover as much as I can, but what would you all like to see first?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:43:09 pm »

Game prototyping is all sorts of fun!

First write down the rules on a pice of paper. Which you've already started on. Limit yourself to one full sheet though, front and back. You can add and subtract at will. After all some tabletops have massive fucking textbooks. But start with just one page.

Then make enough paper tokens for two large sized armies and play a game with a friend or against yourself.

Take pictures of every turn.

Document it a la an AAR. Part of the fun of any strategy game is feeling like a great general with great stories of course!

Do an in-depth analysis of a few select turns that really showcase the rules and core mechanics!

Post it!

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 09:57:46 am »

Okay. So I won't be able to do the gameplay demo this weekend, but I will be able to prototype the game. Then the next weekend I can give a gameplay demo.

When prototyping where do i start?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 11:13:23 am »

Okay. So I won't be able to do the gameplay demo this weekend, but I will be able to prototype the game. Then the next weekend I can give a gameplay demo.

When prototyping where do i start?

First write down the rules on a pice of paper. Which you've already started on. Limit yourself to one full sheet though, front and back. You can add and subtract at will. After all some tabletops have massive fucking textbooks. But start with just one page.

Then make enough paper tokens for two large sized armies and play a game with a friend or against yourself.

Take pictures of every turn.

Document it a la an AAR. Part of the fun of any strategy game is feeling like a great general with great stories of course!

Do an in-depth analysis of a few select turns that really showcase the rules and core mechanics!

Post it!

Just grab some printer paper, scissors, and pencils/markers!

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 08:50:19 pm »

I was actually referring to how I should order the rules, but i guess I can wing it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 09:06:09 pm »

I was actually referring to how I should order the rules, but i guess I can wing it.

General turn order first and then specific clarifications for each step is probably the most helpful.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 08:56:37 am »

Sorry for not replying in a bit.

Still working on the prototype (I write slow), but it will be ready for a demo next weekend.

Edit: I would like to mention that my writing skills are pretty bad, so don't expect overly high quality here. I really do hope I can get a decent writer on board for this afterwards.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:14:07 pm by moghopper »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »

Just wanted to let you all know. If I can get access to a printer tomorrow, I will be doing the test game.

Edit: Ugh....

So, delayed again. I'm sorry this keeps happening. Every time I start making progress I keep getting dragged off.

I have the rules prototype. I have the demo units finished. I just need to print them off and I can get the game played and post a battle report.

Honestly, I am getting frustrated at not being able to meet deadlines I set.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 05:59:47 pm by moghopper »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2018, 12:26:32 pm »

Keep at it dude. If you can find someone who is also excited to play it may help you out?
Pages: [1] 2