Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Elder Signs (OOC) [SEEKING REPLACEMENT PLAYER]  (Read 4171 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Elder Signs (OOC) [SEEKING REPLACEMENT PLAYER]
« on: March 04, 2018, 09:37:53 pm »

Elder Signs
IC

"We travel light, we probe deep, and we strike hard. We're Delta Green, and we may be outlaws and cowboys and fools, but we've kept this green ball of shit safe and sound for longer than most people have been alive."

Born of the U.S. federal government’s 1928 raid on the degenerate coastal town of Innsmouth, Massachusetts, the covert agency known as Delta Green spent four decades opposing the forces of darkness with honor, but without glory. Stripped of sanction after a disastrous 1969 operation in Cambodia, Delta Green’s leaders made a secret pact: to continue their work without authority, without support, and without fear. To push back the ever-encroaching darkness for another day, for as long as possible.

Elder Signs is a game full of secrets, mysteries and horror. As an agent of Delta Green, you will travel to strange and dangerous places, uncover foul plots and stand against the terrors of the night. You will encounter sanity-blasting entities, monsters and insane cultists. Within strange and forgotten tomes of lore you will find secrets that man was not meant to know. You and your companions may very well decide the fate of the world…

Elder signs is going to be a horror-themed, narrative-focused game set in the late 1980s and based very heavily on the writings of H.P. Lovecraft and the Delta Green sourcebook for the Call of Cthulhu tabletop RPG. Players will be assuming the roles of members of Delta Green, the defunct agency mentioned in the intro blurb above. The tone is gonna be a tad bit bleaker than stuff I’ve ran in the past, because one of my main goals with this is to capture a sense of that cosmic horror I love so much about Lovecraft’s works.

For those not familiar with Delta Green, think the Men in Black but with Cthulhu and Shub-Niggurath instead of little grey men from Mars.

We’re gonna start of with a relatively small cast of characters (4-5 players max), chosen by me based off of compatibility, story opportunities, and how much I like the character sheets themselves. This is mainly going to be to facilitate timely updates, as otherwise I’m probably gonna start procrastinating on writing the things. However, there is a fairly decent chance that I accept some more characters once I get into the swing of things.

Also note that if you’re gonna disappear for long periods of time, this won’t be the game for you. I can’t guarantee that inactive characters will remain relevant for long.

Additionally, initial character sheets are going to be character only. In essence, don’t worry about making a character which is mechanically viable or sound, but instead figure out what kind of character you want to play, and once a bunch of people sign up I’ll make some mechanical tweaks in order to provide a fun experience for everyone.

In-Universe / Fluff things to follow shortly.

EDIT: I've decided to make a discord, so that y'all don't have to wait forever to get yer questions answered. Link
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:28:22 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Signs [OOC]
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:40:49 pm »

On Magic
Magic stems from the unfathomable alien intelligences that reside outside of humanity’s ability to comprehend. What may be the pinnacle of science can easily be interpreted as “magic” by the ignorant. What is certain is that those who delve into such matters rarely come away unchanged—usually for the worse! Manipulating time and space is not a thing to be done lightly and there can be grave consequences for those who dabble in things best left alone.
Few spells can be performed quickly, with many requiring exacting conditions as well as lengthy rites and ceremonies. Each spell must be studied and learnt, often requiring long hours poring over cryptic manuscripts and ancient books of lore. Those wishing to find a fast track for learning spells are more likely to find a one-way ticket to an asylum, their minds broken and sanity destroyed.

Delta Green Timeline
1917: The Office of Naval Intelligence, or ONI, creates the P4 Division (Parapsychology, Paranormal, and Psychic Phenomena), otherwise known as P Division to look into reports of the paranormal during WWI.

1928: Project COVENANT: The Raid on Innsmouth. The Treasury Department, the Dept. of the Navy, and the Bureau of Investigation raid Innsmouth, recovering extensive evidence of Deep Ones and a bit about the Mythos at large. Survivors eventually folded into the P Division.

1928-1941: P Division raids and destroys numerous Deep One Colonies throughout the globe, as well as gathers numerous Mythos tomes and artifacts.

Dec 1941: The United States enters WWII after the Japanese Attack on Pearl Harbor, P Division also joins, merging with the Office of Strategic Services (OSS). The group becomes unofficially known as Delta Green, after the green triangles that mark DG files.

1942-1945: Delta Green does battle with the SS Karotechia, Nazi Germany’s Occult Mythos organization, ultimately defeating it in the summer of 45. Delta Green and the OSS are disbanded in Oct. 1945.

1947: The Roswell Incident. A UFO crashes in Roswell, NM. Truman orders the creation of the Majestic-12 Special Studies Program to study the remains. Former DG members successfully lobby for the reinstatement of Delta Green as an independent organization.

1948-1956: Delta Green runs Operation SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY to track down and eliminate surviving Karotechia members in South America and beyond, hitting it’s high point with a raid on a Karotechia base in Antarctica in 1952. Also during this period, DG comes into a Cold War conflict with the Soviet KGB.

1955: Project COVENANT and P Division files, tomes, and artifacts as destroyed by an insane DG researcher, Daniel Freis.

1963: After the sinking of the USS Thresher of the coast of Cape Cod, Delta Green runs Operation RIPTIDE, which finally destroys the Deep One city of Y’ha-nthlei off of the former town of Innsmouth, which had been only partially damaged in 1928.

1950s-1969: Delta Green runs Cold War operations throughout the world, including major operations in Africa and Southeast Asia.

Nov 1969: A mishandled Delta Green Operation into Cambodia during the Vietnam war fails disastrously, leading to the deaths of over 300 American Servicemen, forcing the Nixon administration to launch the invasion of Cambodia in order to cover it up. The Joint Chiefs of Staff launch an investigation to fix blame and deny knowledge of the incident.

Jul 24, 1970: A disgraced Delta Green is officially disbanded and begins life as an illegal conspiracy.

Groups of Interest
MJ-12: Majestic-12, also known as MJ-12, is a part of the US government that oversees US relations with extraterrestrials. MJ-12 was founded by Presidential order after discoveries made following the Roswell Incident in 1947. The depth of its mission changed in 1980, when MJ-12 made contact with Greys, actual Extraterrestrial Biological Entities. The Greys provided them with advanced technology and other information, which MJ-12 adapts for use. The organization has twelve divisions, each with their own responsibilities and sub-projects.

The Karotechia: Growing out of the Ahnenerbe-SS, the Thule Gesellschaft and the general Nazi interest in the occult, the Karotechia were active throughout World War II. After the war, 37 members of the Karotechia escaped to the Middle East and South America with other Nazi fugitives. For decades they remained on the run, hiding and growing old in foreign lands. That changed in 1975, when "Dr." Olaf Bitterich recruited two other Karotechia survivors, Reinhard Galt and Gunter Frank, to become the core of the new Fourth Reich, which was headquartered at La Estancia. Bitterich was inspired by Nyarlathotep, who appeared before him in the form of Hitler, claiming to have ascended to Godhood. Bitterich chronicled the revelations of Hitler in a book entitled Mein Triumph. The Karotechia is particularly interested in re-obtaining a copy of the Gothic Necronomicon, which they believe will let them duplicate Hitler's Ascension.

The Deep Ones: The Deep Ones are an amphibious race of fish-men. Their operation at Innsmouth was the first officially noticed Mythos activity and lead to the formation of Delta Green. Delta Green has lost much of its knowledge of Deep Ones, thanks in part to researcher Daniel Fries going insane and destroying countless amounts of records.

Important Terms
Cell: Cells comprise the backbone of Delta Green’s organizational structure. Each cell is comprised of a group of researchers, agents, and Mythos experts who can be called upon at any time by Delta Green leadership to take care of any Mythos activities in their areas of operation. Each cell keeps minimal contact with other cells, in order to prevent the discovery of a single cell to compromise all of DG.

Friendlies: “Friendlies” is a blanket term for the numerous friendly accounting clerks, payroll officers, supply sergeants, and motorpool attendants prepared to provide "special treatment" when they receive a requisition with a small and easily removable green triangle sticker or code on it.

Green Box: A “Green Box” is Delta Green's term for a private-storage area used for storing useful supplies. Ideally, each major city has a Green Box where departing agents can drop off valuable resources, which future teams can access as needed. A green box is sort of a junk stash, a place to leave leftover ammo, flashlights, batteries, or what have you.

Old One: The Old Ones are a group of unique, malignant beings of great power. They reside in various locations on Earth, and once presided over the planet as gods and rulers. More often than not, the Old Ones tend to attract worship by various cults, who use eldritch magic in attempts to return the Old Ones to Earth. The elimination of such cults tend to make up the majority of Delta Green operations.

Rhino Squad: The Rhino Squad is a six man team of socially maladjusted demolitions experts hand-picked from all Delta Green cells. They train four to six times a year with special ops teams worldwide, courtesy of a highly-placed friendly, and pack the latest in high-ordinance firepower and heavy body armor. These are not the folk you want for low key insertions, recon, hostage rescues, mobility-dependent ops, and the like. They take the phrase "eliminate with extreme prejudice" to new levels. A cell calling in the Rhino Squad should be prepared to fine-tune their best dis-information skills on a meteor strike story to explain the two-story deep glassy crater where there used to be a bunker full of cultists. Calling the Rhino Squad is only ever an option in the most dire of circumstances.

9mm Retirement Plan: The 9mm retirement plan is the forced demise of a Delta Green member or friendly who is quickly becoming a liability. Note that the term “liability” more often than not means “driven mad and risks leaking confidential info to the public” or “had a chat with Nyarlathotep or the King in Yellow.”

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:54:11 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:42:32 pm »

Spoiler: On Rolls (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Attributes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 11:16:30 pm by DolosusDoleus »

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:42:48 pm »

~Reserved~

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:56:40 am »

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:21:28 pm by Maximum Spin »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Signs (OOC) [Players needed! Sign up now!]
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 10:19:34 am »

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:12:39 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 01:46:11 pm »

Just gonna drop the character skeleton here, I'll fill it out later today.

Alright, here it is.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 07:39:12 pm by Hibou »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 04:14:41 pm »

Spoiler: Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:39:11 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 07:47:55 pm »

As I work on making a few tweaks to the mechanics, I've written a little bit more fluff. I put it in the 3rd post, after the one with the character sheet.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 03:57:48 pm »

Sorry for the delay guys. Real life things, you know?

I've posted the mechanics and some stuff to help determine stats and such. Y'all can add that stuff to your character sheets. After all that's done, I'll give everybody some special character-related stuff and start an IC thread.

Shoot me a message in the discord if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:00:28 pm by DolosusDoleus »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 05:36:58 pm »

Jackson's stats are up.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Signs (OOC) [Compiling Stats | Still Accepting Characters]
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 09:39:26 pm »

Finally got around to updating my stats.
Super minmaxy yay

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 11:13:00 pm »

*Looks at Elsie's stats*
*Looks at Jackson's stats*
...both 18 Will with high Int. :|
You have Cha and Edu while I've got Dex, but Jackson's not terrible at anything other than Edu. You're...
...yeah, minmaxy seems to describe it.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 11:15:07 pm »

Full Name: James Jefferson Lewis
Position: Delta Green Agent, specializing in Combat Operations.  Multi-Lingual (English, Korean, Hindi, Urdu)
Appearance: A fairly average-looking middle-aged African-American man.  Bald, standing at 6'1".  Unassuming, with remarkably bland features.
History: Graduated from Alexander High School in Mississippi in 1950.  Joined the marines after graduating and did a tour of duty in Korea, and several years after the war ended joined the CIA (with some difficulty) as an Military Advisor.  Was eventually deployed covertly in India during the Indo-Pakistan Wars.  General duties included operating as a translator, training militias, and - on one unfortunate occasion - a high-speed car chase and shoot-out through the city streets of Amritsar.  Was inducted into Delta Green after stumbling into a cult conspiracy and accidentally blowing the cover for a Delta Green sting, which required a rather difficult cover-up to resolve.
Personality: A patriot to the core, though with understandable hang-ups regarding race relations in the United States.  Doesn't necessarily believe in the "Greater Good", but is a firm believer in the "Lesser Evil" and is intimately familiar with the concept of self-sacrifice.  Enjoys puzzles and playing the guitar.  Tentative plans to transition away from front-line duties, but isn't quite sure if he's ready to work a desk just yet.

(STR):  15
(CON):  14
(SIZ):  14
(DEX):  14
(CHA):  4
(WIL):  12
(INT):  6
(EDU):  6

Check it out guys, I made a character that knows how to use a gun and can survive a punch. :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:47:56 pm by evictedSaint »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 11:29:43 pm »

*Looks at Elsie's stats*
*Looks at Jackson's stats*
...both 18 Will with high Int. :|
You have Cha and Edu while I've got Dex, but Jackson's not terrible at anything other than Edu. You're...
...yeah, minmaxy seems to describe it.

Well its one of those generic archtypes >_>. From the look of it, the system seems to favor having a couple high skills rather than a bunch of low ones. The guy with the mediocre charisma will rarely use it, since the Face with high charisma is around. Splitting the party is generally a bad idea, if we can avoid it. Two mediocre PCs would be less effective than two specialized PCs who cover each other's weaknesses. Being terrible at STR doesn't really matter if you arn't getting into a fist fight and halve a muscly guy like James to kick doors down.

Not to say that these two characters would be taking each other's jobs. If we wanted, we could split what type of spells we focus on.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4