Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How Quickly Can You Raise a Military in Your DF Games?  (Read 3262 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: How Quickly Can You Raise a Military in Your DF Games?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 08:21:44 am »

I don't have much until the first dwarven caravan, then I buy everything metal,
I only get full time military by the end of the second year, when I actually get to forge my stuff.
In a time before time, I had a name.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How Quickly Can You Raise a Military in Your DF Games?
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 08:05:03 pm »

I usually do a min/max style build. I take booze and meat of course to tie me over until the first caravan burn almost never take any picks, axes, or anything else that can be made.

My usual embark includes something like 100 wood logs since I enjoy being friends with the elves, they're more valuable to me alive than dead. I like the animals they bring,  so I don't cut down trees. I opt for war with humans instead, they have iron at least.

I also bring a ton of raw ore. I bring no fuel, I make charcoal when I need it.

Rest of my points goes into a breeding pair of cats, and then two male hunting dogs and a metric ton of war dogs.

The wood can be used to build a admittedly cramped roofed fort on the surface until I can get picks. I tend to embark on evil biomes for the added fun, so a way to block the rain and fog is a must.

At least two of my seven are drafted into the military, one is my bookkeeper/manager, the other four are allocated to whatever I may need. Usually going to the military by winter of y1.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.
Pages: 1 2 [3]