Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leech Men won't suck blood?  (Read 1561 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Leech Men won't suck blood?
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:04:45 am »

I've been fiddling with animal peoples and making sub-entities to populate the world with things like happy rabbit villages and wolf-man raiders. However, in adjusting the blood-sucking bug men (ticks, lice, mosquitos and leeches) I've come across a peculiar problem. Leech men simply cannot suck blood.

Spoiler: Default blood sucking attacks and more extreme variants added to make sucker-people a valid threat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Leech and Leech Man raws. Added genders so they can reproduce in worldgen, as well as MOUTH_SUCK_ATTACK_MONSTER.

Spoiler: Tick men, who have no problem whatsoever sucking blood.

I can't for the life of me figure it out. In arena testing, the issue seems to be that leech men can't break the skin, but I can't figure out why.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Leech Men won't suck blood?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 12:59:08 pm »

The problem is that while tick men and mosquito men have hard, chitinous mouths or proboscis...es, leech men are trying to bite using their soft, squishy mouths.  Make their bite variant use TEETH instead.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 10:55:02 am »

Basing the attack on the teeth worked great! Thanks!

However, I'm now having difficulties adding a blood syndrome for the blood-suckers to take advantage of. It seems to be registering some symptoms fine, such as nausea for drinking ichor from other bug-persons, but when i try to boost Agility the character pane in Arena doesn't register anything. Very curious.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 07:51:13 pm »

Leech men not being able to suck blood through their mouths and instead needing their teeth because of penetration should really probably be bug-reported anyway as a inconsistency for toady to fix.

Does the leech man adventurer possess capped statistics in any such way that may deny them from levelling up? Post your blood syndrome raws please so we can take a look at it.

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 08:14:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure that screen just shows the base level of your attributes, and doesn't take syndromes into account. Note that vampires in arena mode will have average stats across the board, despite the strength and agility boosts associated with the curse.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 07:12:38 am »

I'll have to chalk it up to the stat screen being buggy, I think. Everything else I ask the syndrome to do, it does.

Here are the blood syndromes; they seem to work well. As far as I can tell right now multiple syndromes on one material doesn't work, so this will override things like the stress-on-contact blood I've seen floating around.

Ichor nausea:

Blood stat boosts/vampire vision: