Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: when to expect semi-megabeats, sieges, megabeats etc  (Read 1760 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: when to expect semi-megabeats, sieges, megabeats etc
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 04:41:01 pm »

I modified the triggers to allow for a much lower population (I think 20) so that's not the issue. I also had a "siege" (if you can call 9 combatants that) by giants in a previous fort where their site was about as close (maybe a bit closer?) as the current goblin sites. They are maybe one regional tile over, compared to the giants previously that were in the same tile. Both of which are extremely close if you bear in mind that the threshold to be called neighbors is much lower.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 05:11:47 pm »

"Giants" implies you're playing a mod, as semi megabeasts don't come in groups. I know nothing about those mods. The first siege of the goblins tend to be a group of 10.
I don't know what your "regional tile" reference means. Do you mean one world tile (16 * 16 mid level tiles [which are the ones I used to call region tiles])? Embarking in the same or next world tile should definitely be close enough, though.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 03:58:00 am »

I talked about this before, though I don't blame you for not remembering it. I crudely modded giants to form civilizations by copy-pasting the goblin entity and changing it to use giants as the race. I also removed the semimegabeast tag from the creature standard file. I did some other tweaks, like specifying the preferred sites of giants as towns. This resulted in getting giant populations of around 70k in medium worlds, and they show up the same as goblins, as a hostile neighbor.

I think we're on the same page there. I meant the tile selected in the medium screen when selecting an embark, where you move it by one tile if you press an arrow key. I think that's 16x16 of those tiles you specify for your embark (default being 4x4; I use 2x2 for FPS reasons, but am considering increasing it to 3x3 already).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 05:22:29 am »

I use 3*3 embarks, not the least because it guarantees at least one candy spire with up to four (you can get exactly one with a properly aligned 2*2 embark). Also, 3*3 gives a bit more room for entrance tunnels and the like.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 07:12:42 am »

Anyway, in my latest fort I just quit I had literally zero ambushes and snatchers, so just like before, but I was getting sieges for a couple of years. The good news is that they seem to have come from more than one goblin site, as a couple of them included only elves - with metal equipment and goblin names so I know they came from a goblin civ - and a couple of them only goblins + beak dogs and trolls. This leads me to believe that the elves came from a couple of forest retreats that got conquered as opposed to a dark tower with mixed populations. I mean, in the latter case, shouldn't the invaders also have been mixed?

I also got one giant siege where only one giant was equipped properly - meaning he had a weapon - and had a first and last name. The remaining giants only had a first name and no weapons, which is similar to how trolls are treated when they come together with goblins. This looks like giants are keeping other giants as pets. Makes me wonder if anything can be done about this behavior. The semimegabeast tag had already been removed but that shouldn't have caused it, since trolls don't have that tag either.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 07:38:28 am »

Goblins have snatchers, but as far as I understand only elves have ambushers, unless things are modded. Kobolds might have ambusher as well, but they generally just sneak and flee.

I've had attackers come from at least two different sites, and asked about it in the FotF, where Toady confirmed the staging site can change.

Trolls and ogres are slow learners, and I wouldn't be surprised if giants are as well. It can be noted that trolls and ogres can be elevated to "real" soldiers with two part names and equipment, including armor, plus a real soldier profession. The ogre I received didn't exactly use his strengths, though, as he was a bowman...
Pages: 1 [2]