Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magna Driver, my 16 bit mini-JRPG  (Read 898 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Magna Driver, my 16 bit mini-JRPG
« on: March 09, 2018, 08:37:20 pm »

Itch.io link

The game is free. Windows and Linux distributions available.

From the itch.io description:

Magna Driver is a 16-bit era JRPG with hand drawn pixel art and its own coded-from-scratch game engine. It is currently a feature-complete demo with a single dungeon, offering 30-60 minutes of content. Have fun storming the castle!

Features:

5 character classes
    One full length dungeon.
    Unique multicast system for spells.
    Hand drawn pixel art for a dozen monsters, all 4 player characters, spell effects, backgrounds, UI, and tilesets.
    Japanese translation.
    A difficult bonus boss, if you're into that sort of thing.

It is suggested you play with a keyboard. Default keybinds (can be changed in-game in the options menu):

Confirm: Z
    Cancel: X
    Menu: C
    Swap characters: S and D
    Pause: Enter
    Screenshot: P
    GIF capture: O

Screenshots:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
More screenshots available on the itch.io page.

So yeah, this has been what I've been working on as a hobby for the past little while.
Probably what I'm most proud of is the pixel art, since a year and a half ago I wouldn't even remotely considered myself an artist at all. Now I can make all the art for a short game like this and not be ashamed of it. So that's good.
But yeah, it was coded from scratch by me too (with my wife helping with some basic engine stuff, like graphics). No RPG maker or Unity used here. The downside of that is it could be buggy on different systems, so if you get any crashes or hangs, please send me the log file (probably through pastebin since they can get long).
Enjoy~
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Magna Driver, my 16 bit mini-JRPG
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 02:12:46 pm »

Niiice.  I like the look of this, will try it out later.

EDIT: So I played through the demo.  Not bad, definitely captured that old-school Final Fantasy feel while at the same time having some unique qualities to distinguish it.  Multicasting make battles less tedious and mages more versatile, though it also makes the physical classes seem lackluster by comparison except as meatshields, especially since the mages' physical damage isn't too bad.

Maybe give physical fighters the ability to attack multiple targets as well?  Perhaps a mechanic where physically attacking the same enemy multiple times gives bonus "combo" damage?

I was experiencing some slowdown when the screen was scrolling, though that could be because I'm using a tabtop that could favorably be compared to a potato chip.

I also encountered what might be a bug, somehow casting Ice hit all characters, both on my team and the enemy.  Might be related to Bolt's targeting, since in that round I was using Ice-Fire-Bolt.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Magna Driver, my 16 bit mini-JRPG
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 04:54:05 pm »

I also encountered what might be a bug, somehow casting Ice hit all characters, both on my team and the enemy.  Might be related to Bolt's targeting, since in that round I was using Ice-Fire-Bolt.
Hrm, interesting. Couldn't immediately reproduce it, so it might require some wacky sequence of events.

If you happen to remember A) what enemy formation, and B) what abilities were used during the casting time of those spells, I might be able to trace it down. I already squashed one bug shortly before release where targeting data was leaking between abilities.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:03:25 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.