Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22

Author Topic: [Waitlisters Welcome] Servants of Madness: A Lovecraftian RTD (6/8) Turn 19  (Read 34732 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SERVANTS OF MADNESS

"And through this revolting graveyard of the universe the muffled, maddening beating of drums, and thin, monotonous whine of blasphemous flutes from inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond Time; the detestable pounding and piping whereunto dance slowly, awkwardly, and absurdly the gigantic, tenebrous ultimate gods — the blind, voiceless, mindless gargoyles whose soul is Nyarlathotep."

Spoiler: What is this? (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

I will try having a max of 6 players. I'll increase the number of players to something like 8 later if I feel 6 is too low.

(Disclaimer: This is my first RTD, but I have been thinking a lot about this idea and I really wanted to start a RTD. Updates will be either too fast or too slow and mechanics might change midgame for balance. If something is missing in this post, just ask me and I'll probably add it.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:34:23 pm by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Current Players (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:34:14 pm by randomgenericusername »
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: [Looking for Players] Servants of Madness: A Lovecraftian RTD (0/6)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 09:15:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:40:49 pm »

Am putting character skeleton here. Will fill out later

Done

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:35:26 am by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 10:10:53 pm »

Reserved.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 11:04:43 pm »

Interesting. I will bite.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:11:25 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 12:10:03 am »

I would love to play. will fill out character sheet later.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:11:05 am by HugeNerdAndProudOfIt »
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Questorhank

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll find something to put here... eventually
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:34:14 am »

This is gonna be great (pure chaos).

Character sheet in the morning.
RTD Graveyard
Many people have gone missing or died.
I don't remember their names.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 07:21:03 am »

Name: Antioch Catullos
Appearance: Pretty normal! Primarily Greco-Russian, black hair, grey eyes. No tattoos, some piercings.
Personality: Antioch throws himself completely into whatever he's doing, whether it's studying, working, or partying. As a result, he often forgets about things that aren't related to his current occupation, and his friends know very well that they'll have to remind him to keep a date, or basically anything else, when he's locked in his room focussed on something else. Still, he's no recluse, and when he is in a social environment it's just as important to him as everything else is. In general, Antioch never does anything by half-measures.
Backstory: Antioch's parents immigrated to the United States at a young age, and did their best to assimilate, but still retain some old-world culture. Antioch himself, of course, has been here for his entire life, but he still picked up that culture secondhand. That might be why he came to his current status, studying anthropology at Miskatonic University.

Patron God: Azathoth, the Blind Idiot God
Gift: Antioch sometimes dreams of events that will or may happen somewhere in the world.
Insight: Occult Rites

Azathoth might not be a good choice, though. You know, he's eternally asleep and doesn't care about the figments of his imagination. But if he ever bothers to do some divine intervention, it's going to be powerful stuff. Accepted.

Am putting character skeleton here. Will fill out later

Done

Name: Josephi Krakowski
Appearance: A potbellied, balding, Slavic gentleman. He looks to be somewhere in his mid to late sixties, as evidenced by his wrinkled, droopy face and silver-grey hair. Possesses the ruddy cheeks and joyful disposition most commonly associated with shopping mall Santas.
Personality: Though elderly, Josefi is full of the youthful joy and vibrant energy of someone a quarter of his age. Always quick to laugh and smile, he is very friendly and enjoys meeting new people over anything
Backstory: Josefi was born in Massachusetts, as the son of Slavic immigrants. Though born in America, he has retained the mannerisms and accent of his ancestry, thanks to a strong effort by his parents to retain Russian culture in the family. After growing up and graduating from the Miskatonic University with a degree in history, he spent several years traveling the nation in a quest to find purpose in his life. However, no matter where he went he never quite felt at home, and he soon returned to his hometown at the age of 40. There, he opened up a candy store like the ones he remembered as a child, and has remained content there since.

Patron God: Hastur, The King in Yellow
Gift: Josefi has an uncanny ability to call his shots.
Insight: Summoning

Accepted. Unless you literally try to call your bullets. That's not gonna work.
Note: I'm gonna assume you have the protection of Hastur's "King in Yellow" avatar and not from the Feaster. No one likes the Feaster.

Interesting. I will bite.

Name: Mallo brekson
Appearance:A short, thin young man with black hair and gray-blue eyes. He prefers to wear dark blue jeans and a grayish colored shirt.
Personality: somewhat antisocial, he is cautious around people but has a thirst for knowledge and loves reading. He does not focus on his goals as much as others, and often is easily disturbed or distracted, especially by other people.

Backstory: A volunteer at the public library for most of his life, He never truly grew out of.his shell during his teenage years. As such, he found employment hard to maintain and for the most part ends up doing odd jobs and information hunting on request.

Patron God: Nyarlathotep, in particular his manifestation as "The haunter of the dark".
Gift:  Cloak of shadows -- Mallo's senses go into overdrive in the dark, while his body relaxes and seems to melt into them. He is slightly harder to detect in darkness, and has better hearing than average while he is not moving.
Insight: Nyarlathotep himself. He is aware that he is the messenger, and thus has a hand in most forbidden knowledge and even some cults to other gods.

I feel the gift may be too complex and might be a little bit too powerful. Increased senses AND improved sneaking? Take either "Boosted senses while in the shadows" or "Very hard to detect in the darkness". Other than that, everything looks right.
The fact that he worships the Haunter of the Dark manifestation has potential to screw up everything I have planned for the start of the game regarding some hidden mechanics I have about gods and their various manifestations when encountered by worshippers.
Yes, there are some hidden mechanics.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:40:53 am by randomgenericusername »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: [Looking for Players] Servants of Madness: A Lovecraftian RTD (3?/6)
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 08:26:51 am »

He only gains increased senses while holding still (not doing any action) And in the dark. That said, if I can only have one, I'll take increased stealth.
As for his patron, nothing said that he himself worshipped the haunter, just that it took interest in them and has decided to protect them to a degree. Unless he actively starts praying to them, I would think you can apply any hidden mechanics without fear, especially given the fact that while he has insight into his true patron, he has nothing regarding their manifestations.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 08:33:50 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 08:44:52 am »

But I like characters that potential to screw everything up! I really expect you to get the first player kill.  ;D
About the power: It's because you are also able to "extend" the power. Someone with sneaking can try to outright go transparent with a luck roll or "sneak" past cameras (not showing in recordings).

You get increased stealth that works greatly in dark areas, but can still move. Is this ok?

Also, about the god: I know he doesn't worship it, I misworded it.
I meant to say that he's protected by that specific avatar. You'll see later.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 10:18:00 am »

Random, that probably won't happen unless someone starts acting insane before their character Actually is.
Yes, that is fine with me.
Does this mean that Cthulhu worshippers might have tea with him?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 10:24:49 am »

Maybe? Also, your sheet is now accepted.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Looking for Players] Servants of Madness: A Lovecraftian RTD (3/6)
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:59:26 am »

Finished my sheet. It is in my first post.
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 11:05:58 am »

I would love to play. will fill out character sheet later.

Name: Nathaniel Greene.
Appearance: Tall and thin. Light skin with a few scars on the upper left arm. Hazel eyes, and 10 inch long brown hair with subtle highlights.
Personality: Lightly superstitious, Not overly brave, but willing to risk harm to himself to help others. Believes that no problem is insoluble. Afraid of spiders due to traumatic experience as a child. Loves cats.
Backstory: Nathanael Greene grew up in a middle class family, and studied psychology. Quickly discovering a natural knack for it, he graduated College early and set up a practice, becoming relatively prosperous.

Patron God: Nyarlathotep, specifically the yellow king.

Gift: Natural knack for figuring out how people will react in response to stimuli. Mostly uses it in psychological treatment.
Insight: Runes.

I believe that Nyarlathotep and the Yellow King are two different entities. Unless you mean the "High Priest Not to Be Described", which is a masked priest in yellow robes and an avatar of Nyarlathotep, often confused with Hastur (The King in Yellow).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22