Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28

Author Topic: Ägashfamthut, "Bandithorses," Where we steal everything and die to caves  (Read 60338 times)

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh, Youngbab? Update please?

Sorry! Been busy with some things and forgot to mention. I'll have a log up within the next two days or less.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

OOC in spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

sigh
Is a chance to settle back in so much to ask?

Log 1
Spring

It's day one of my return to the position of overseer, and already the goblins have come to besiege us. It looks like I'm in luck though, as their front lines are mere recruits.

But if only it was just recruits. It would appear that they've brought a great host of beasts to aid them, and many of which appear to possess an ailment that could be rather troubling.

Let's hope we can snuff it out before it gets a chan-

Oh no.

An Elven ambush has sprung out mere seconds after the goblins arrived. It's a sizable horde of them too, and quite a few of our civilians are up on the surface, as well as our swordsman.

I've ordered the civilans to head inside, and told our swordsman to get into positions, but they don't seem to be listening. They'd much rather plunge themselves haphazardly into the ambushers.

Since there's a slim chance of convincing those numbskulls to get out of there, I've ordered the whole squad to attack the elves. It seems like they're managing well at the very least. However, a handful of non-military onlookers are up there. Too terrified by the fighting to move inside the fortress, it seems.

As the fighting continues, the goblins are moving closer and closer to the fortress.

In comparison to the elves, their siege is pitiful, but they're still a threat, so I've called for our axedwarves to come and serve as reinforcements.

In trying to get all of the surface dwarves down into the fort, I've let in a few uninvited guests through the opened gates. Luckily, I'm still down here commanding, and I'd say I'm quite confident I can make quick work of these stranglers should it come to that.

This is not the time for that!

Or perhaps it is. The elves are little more than mince-meat now, but there's still a formidable amount of goblins. My initial size up of them might've been a bit of an underestimation:

Most of those warbeasts are serving as mounts for the filth.

I've called for out swordsdwarfs and axedwarfs to head over to the position marked. The majority of them are still standing, barring a few wounded individuals, so they should have no trouble in dispatching these goblins.

Unfortunately, it looks like one of our axedwarves got a little bit too excited and was surrounded. It doesn't look like he'll make it.

And... The siege is over. Our swordsman and speardwarves polished off the last of the invaders with ease. I suppose it's time to look over our losses, then.

Here's our military now. Quite a few casualties, but not as bad as expected.  I'll recruit a few unimportant men to the military to replace the dead.
The logs are a bit cluttered so I can't tell if any important dwarves were killed, so I'll put up the members list of each squad. Don't hesitate to mention if you notice anyone missing.

Guys with big sticks:

Sneaky Raiders

Axington stanleys

With all the finally out of the way, I suppose I should get to work on a project or two. First and foremost, we need a bridge at the upper-barracks. My original attempt at creating one failed for whatever reason, so let's hope it pans out better this time around.

Also, I've noticed in my short time here that MANY of our civilians are severely stressed. To try and combat things like this:

I've ordered our miners to carve out and improve part of our dining room to help bolster morale at least a little bit.

The empty space will be adorned with statues and plenty of extra seating once it's done.
I've also requested that our engravers smooth out the stone in the lower fortress layers.

Though I don't know how much help any of that will be, as it looks like things are worse than I thought. A jeweler went mad moments after seeing what was up on the surface. And down below, a fight broke out in the hospital between one of our militia captains and a metalcrafter.

He didn't survive.

What's this? Are we out of food or dri-

Oh. Damn it.
It looks like life here has gotten to her. What a shame. I'll be sure to give her a tomb befitting her status.

And another death. This poor bloke was beaten to death by a crazed armorer. What is it with all of these people and their tantrums?

More and more dwarves are going insane, too many to even report on.

I don't ask for this often, but, I think I need some advice. Make people feel better isn't exactly my job, in fact, it's usually quite the opposite. But I have a feeling that if I don't learn how to console all these poor sods, this fortress is going down with me in it.

Anyways, I suppose I should point out some less troubling things. Specifically this:

Another named weapon. Not terribly exciting, but it's something.
Also-

Damn it all. The horror of this place has ate away at my wife now too. And to top it all off, Derpy Dev was just found slumped over dead in the forest.

I'm struggling to think of way things could get any worse.

Mmm, well, there's how! Just after the  bridge was finally completed, on of our latest recruits has toppled it.
We've lost another important person to melancholy as well. This time SnowDwarf:

Unfortunate. Andon top of that...:

Amaranth got assaulted in the halls. She was rescued but died before a doctor could save her. Terrible.

Huh. Well, that's a pleasant surprise out of all of this. Though, there's something a bit strange about the site in question.

The human forest retreat of Latherwaters? Last time I checked, I was a dwarf. Who the hell are these people?

I guess that'll have to be question for another time, as summer has finally come. Since the start of spring we've lost 25 citizens, and I fear that if things keep up at this rate this place will be little more than a pile of rumble come next year. Wish me luck as always, and Gods help BanditHorses.

Stoat tales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Species unknown was in the axington Stanley's, now he's not because he's dead.

R.I.P Species unknown, the best axedwarf we ever knew

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

The Hot Realms have probably just conquered the place, and being the closest non-hostile government center, will probably prefer to work with us over a farther flung human city.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile

Species unknown was in the axington Stanley's, now he's not because he's dead.

R.I.P Species unknown, the best axedwarf we ever knew

...and me?

xD

So I feel like BanditHorses is nearing it's end. Any ideas for the next?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile

if bandithorses burns to the ground I say we should have an above ground fortress or a sober fortress
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Theirs a chance that it could still be salvaged, forts have come back from much worse in the past.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Stoat tales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Human fortress!

Except we'd need to play it on 44.09 so our dwarves humans don't go berserk from getting rained on

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Human fortress!

Except we'd need to play it on 44.09 so our dwarves humans don't go berserk from getting rained on

Hooooooooooooooo boy that is accurate. Do not play it on 44.10, or you'll need to play somewhere far the fuck away from a major body of water rain could feasibly come from.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

11 and 12 should be good for that - humies atleast would have the advantage of not having to worry about cave adaptation and painting the entire place green, while also not being as annoyed without alcohol.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

11 and 12 should be good for that - humies atleast would have the advantage of not having to worry about cave adaptation and painting the entire place green, while also not being as annoyed without alcohol.

I can also provide a reaction that produces barreled water (which can be drunk like a normal drink, though it provides no mood bonuses.) Alcohol is able to make humans sick more easily than dwarves due to smaller livers, which could be a problem for soldiers and skilled workers.

Additionally, if you guys do decide to play as humans, you'll need to tool them up accordingly with proper values (if you're gonna run as brigands again, valuing skill at arms would be a good idea.) and at least a minimum of organization, otherwise you won't have the ability to form a militia, assign a bookkeeper, etc.

Hell, thinking of it you could just create a separate entity that uses humans as its creature (or a copy-paste of them.) I could even provide insane doom cultists to possibly fight.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

I could provide some of my other mods as well, if you'd want another race to play as, a lot more invader types and/or more good/evil biome creatures.

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, should I keep going with the fort until it's dead? Or write up an epilogue now and move on to the next fort?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Since deathpunch578 is only one after your turn, maybe ask them in a PM?

It seems like the end might be something like "everyone unhappy went raiding out, picked targes poorly, and got killed or captured. Population: 0". Though it'd be cool to succumb to invasion.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile

I'm fine with you burning it down, or riding it out.
it's up to you
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28