Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28

Author Topic: Ägashfamthut, "Bandithorses," Where we steal everything and die to caves  (Read 60390 times)

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Captain of the Gourd" is a masterpiece. Totally like the guy and the name.

Regarding the alert, I cannot see how to use your original alert... you are right that if not touch civilian alert, the civilians won't go there. But military squads have an empty list of orders in (s)chedule menu, so they wouldn't do anything if assigned to the alert.

This is the design I have now. Enough to switch [CIV] to the alert (civilians would go to a tavern), and attach both squads to the alert as well, and everything is ready for the defence!

But maybe I am just dumb and didn't get something  :D

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile

Regarding the alert, I cannot see how to use your original alert... you are right that if not touch civilian alert, the civilians won't go there. But military squads have an empty list of orders in (s)chedule menu, so they wouldn't do anything if assigned to the alert.

They would - they are set to go to the burrow when the alert is activated(check the burrow list for the alert).  If they need an order to activate in addition to that, I wasn't aware of that (I haven't done much with the military stuff yet).

Edit:  I saw after replying that you used a "Defend Burrows" order.  Whoops.

Edit 2:  However, you've un-set the burrow behind the fortifications, and set another burrow!  That will cause the squads to go to whatever the new burrow is, instead of the burrow behind the fortifications.  Chances are that you'll get endless cancellation spam because the squads cannot reach where they're supposed to go from within the civilian burrow.  For your "Civilians Inside" burrow, you need a new alert, and only use the civilian alert for that.  The "Marksdwarfs in Hall" alert should still be set to go to the fortifications burrow.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:12:45 am by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Edit 2:  However, you've un-set the burrow behind the fortifications, and set another burrow!  That will cause the squads to go to whatever the new burrow is, instead of the burrow behind the fortifications.

The truth is that the military on duty (with assigned orders, defend burrow in my case) ignore any burrow restrictions, so only civilians would go to "Civilians Inside", and no troubles with military reaching the fortifications :D

That is the reason btw, why your alert wouldn't work - burrow list doesn't affect active squads, you can only control them through schedule settings (well, apart from the direct orders ofc, but for those fortifications it is gonna work very badly).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:05:46 pm by hun »

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After all that fuss, it is time to continue with production. We start melting metal stuff that seem not needed; hopefully it would allow us to produce some steel and to let our weaponsmiths improve our offensive capabilities with masterful steel weapon.

A great message from our miners - we have found galena! It means silver for expensive crafts and bolts, and lead for all kinds of unimportant metalcrafting.

What is weird - we see no signs of caverns, although we already dug pretty deep...

A couple of thieves tried to sneak into the fortress, but were again scared off by our brave bunnies.

I continue reforming and reinforcing our defence. "Guys with big sticks" is now a full 10 dwarves squad, although our industry is slow to provide them with worthy weapons and armor. But it will do, sooner or later.
It is a time to recall who we are and why we are here! I formed the third squad named "Sneaky Raiders". Right now we are not planning any serious invasion: I just assigned a single guy Nish (best ambusher except myself) and nicknamed him "Tomb Raider", because...

...this is our first goal to rob! A tomb two days to north-west. Turned out to be completely empty.

Tomb Raider tried another one, a little bit to the south from the first. He brought no loot again, but found an elf there. He resided in Bandithorses for sanctuary, but I expect him to join us as a citizen, in gratitude for freedom. I guess we can find a job for an elf. Like cutting the trees. Or... cutting even more trees? Also, I am not meaning anything in general about elves, but he is a gay.

After that Tomb Raider tried several empty caves but they were, well, empty. I hoped that kobolds left something, especially metallic, but nothing so far.

Meanwhile, we traded a good deal of bars and metalcrafts from the dwarven caravan (almost missed it because our broker DerpyDev was so excited about meditatins and prayers recently!). It is embarassing for us to sell meals, but we didn't prepared anything better for export this time.

Our first raid to a populated tomb (with <10 population) on the north.

The report implies that we stole something, but Tomb Raider refuses to show what is that exactly, so I didn't figure out.
During next several raids Tomb Raider freed 8 elves, one dwarf and one goblin. I hope they will join as full citizens later - we can make the complete Foreign Legion out of them, especially given that elves mostly have some military skills. The goblin is mighty leather, bone and cloth crafter though.

On the raid to the same tomb in late autumn Tomb Raider was captured, details of the incident are unknown. To future overseers: if I didn't do it soon, release the first bandit of Bandithorses!

Many our workshops are working extremely slow. I ordered to open more of smelters and wood furnaces, plus open a quantuum stockpiles for stone, ores and wood. Plus one normal for bars. They are located just against the workshop area.

Our jeweller made an artifact door out of gems. I am not sure where he took SO MUCH of resin opal.

Winter has came. So little time left, I guess I won't start many of the projects I have planned...

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile

Edit 2:  However, you've un-set the burrow behind the fortifications, and set another burrow!  That will cause the squads to go to whatever the new burrow is, instead of the burrow behind the fortifications.

The truth is that the military on duty (with assigned orders, defend burrow in my case) ignore any burrow restrictions, so only civilians would go to "Civilians Inside", and no troubles with military reaching the fortifications :D

That is the reason btw, why your alert wouldn't work - burrow list doesn't affect active squads, you can only control them through schedule settings (well, apart from the direct orders ofc, but for those fortifications it is gonna work very badly).

Oh!  Well, that's good to know.  Counter-intuitive, but(thus?) good to know.

Edit:  Hooray for the minecart QSPs!  I dumped a lot of the stone from the bedroom level, and I'm not sure if I reclaimed it all afterwards.  It should be in the single-tile dump zone on the temple level, in the northwest corner.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:44:11 pm by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
I am a delicate flower!
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

The treasure should be listed in the main report screen as spoils.
Also, is that civilization only in the tomb, or are we now at war with an entire non-goblin civ?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The treasure should be listed in the main report screen as spoils.
I know, but that time it wasn't. Later I got two other "spoils" - a pair of socks, and a tunic. Apparently, a dwarf can only take one trophy per raid... so, a one-dwarf squad is not really effective for looting stuff.
Also, is that civilization only in the tomb, or are we now at war with an entire non-goblin civ?
I was lazy to check who they are, but we were in war from the beginning, I think it is a goblin civ.

Stoat tales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

#freetombraider
Nish did nothing wrong!

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Winter days were filled with a lot of hauling works to fill our new stockpiles, and with all kinds of production jobs. We still aren't even close to finish furnishing the bedrooms - we have a severe lack of masons, even though I freed all masons from hauling and other unimportant jobs. I added a couple of new masons.

We started smelting galenite now, a bit faster thanks to new quantuum stockpiles, but still slow. We have a great deal of silver bolts now, but we also planning to make silver hammers and then to use silver mainly for valuable crafts. To make those even more valuable, we need to encrust them with gems (we found clusters of amethysts, by the way, and can easily dig lots of them, if needed). I ordered to build a specialyzed gems-decorating site.

Since we still do not have sufficient amount of silver, I first ordered to forge crafts from lead, just to train our metalcrafters and gem setters.

I figured out that we have no emergency gates on our main entrance (through the hall), and ordered to buld one.

I couldn't stand the thought that Tomb Raider is there, probably suffering from all kinds of tortures. So in the last month of winter I ordered "Guys with big sticks" to pillage the damned tomb.

Even though our tactical planning was clearely superior, we killed only two elves and lost Cog. Even worse, no sign of Tomb Raider. Likely that he was executed.
We brought a bunch of useless elven trinkets.

I start thinking that maybe this tomb is actually a domain of an elven civilization...

A new artifact, a granite crown made by "Maximum Spin", whoever this guy is.

It is spring again, and I'm excited to see what our new overseer YoungBab will do for the glory of Bandithorses!

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13715
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:56:04 pm by hun »

youngbab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huzzah! It's finally time! Apologies for being a particularly inactive individual. School and some really shoddy internet prevented me from being as present as I would've liked to be. I have been watching intently though, and I think I have a solid idea about what I want to do for my turn.

Before I get into the thick of things, I have a couple questions.

1. I saw early in the thread the mention of mods. Which mod would this be, and need I install it to play the save properly?

2. Is the "open-legends" command fair game? I took a peek at it while trying to get acquainted with everything and there was an interesting tidbit of information I found that I think would be interesting to include in my first log.

3. In what capacity is DFhack allowed? I don't plan on cheating, but I tend to have bad luck with bugs so using some of the more helpful scripts end up being a godsend should the need for it arise.

4. Finally, the version we're playing on is 44.09 correct? And if not, is it alright if I upgrade to that?

With all of that out of the way, I hope to make my turn something to remember. I'll probably be getting started sometime early this week. If not then, then this coming weekend for sure. Wish me luck!

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile

Huzzah! It's finally time! Apologies for being a particularly inactive individual. School and some really shoddy internet prevented me from being as present as I would've liked to be. I have been watching intently though, and I think I have a solid idea about what I want to do for my turn.

Before I get into the thick of things, I have a couple questions.

1. I saw early in the thread the mention of mods. Which mod would this be, and need I install it to play the save properly?

2. Is the "open-legends" command fair game? I took a peek at it while trying to get acquainted with everything and there was an interesting tidbit of information I found that I think would be interesting to include in my first log.

3. In what capacity is DFhack allowed? I don't plan on cheating, but I tend to have bad luck with bugs so using some of the more helpful scripts end up being a godsend should the need for it arise.

4. Finally, the version we're playing on is 44.09 correct? And if not, is it alright if I upgrade to that?

With all of that out of the way, I hope to make my turn something to remember. I'll probably be getting started sometime early this week. If not then, then this coming weekend for sure. Wish me luck!

1. The mod is What Lurks Below, and you do need to install it to use the save.

2. Eh sure why not.

3. What exactly do these scripts do?

4. I think we're out of date, dunno anymore though. Go ahead and play in 44.09.

hun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I updated the save to 44.09, so feel free to use it.

By the way, I didn't install the mod, but played fine... I hope it didn't screw up the save  :D

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

You only have to install the speech file, since if a world is genned with a mod the raws of the mod are present in the save file itself.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile

Yeah, I had already run it in 0.44.09, so hun carried the tradition.  As for dfhack, I generally only use quicksave and the in-game labour manager UI(easier than breaking things to get DT built).  I know about 'spotclean', but what other useful scripts are generally used?

You only have to install the speech file, since if a world is genned with a mod the raws of the mod are present in the save file itself.

I didn't even do this.  I thought Derpy Dev mentioned earlier in the thread that the speech file was in the save now.  ... Yet here he is saying that we need to install the mod to play the save.  *Eyes spin*  I have no idea what's going on in here anymore.
Grand Master Depressive
I am a delicate flower!

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam

Speech files are separate and stored in data/speech, rather than the raws - since the download is only the save file it wouldn't actually have them.
Not installing a speech file won't neccessarily break anything to an unplayable degree, though if one of the creatures uses its ability it'll just show a line with two quotation marks and look weird.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:59:08 pm by ZM5 »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28