Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Number of Vampire Curse Types: 0  (Read 3804 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Number of Vampire Curse Types: 0
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:33:12 pm »

What exactly does the "Number of vampire curse types" option in the world gen do?  Do higher numbers result in a higher amount of vampires in the world?

I know that if you set the number to zero, but have your own custom vampire interaction, they will appear in the world.  What if you have a bunch of custom interactions, will it result in more vampires, or...?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Vampire Curse Types: 0
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:35:57 pm »

More curse types means more vampires, pretty much. Variation in vampires is planned eventually.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 03:35:27 pm »

Alright, so, I set vampire types to the max, 1000, and exactly one (1) dwarf became a vampire in the whole history of 60 years.

Granted, I had lifespan turned down to about 20 years, but pretty much every god in legends mode did jack shit.

Is there another way to increase the number of leeches?

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 03:41:21 pm »

You could always just do it manually. Stab a vampire in a well. Lock some dwarves in there with the well as the only source of "drink." The dwarves will drink the vampire blood and turn into vampires.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »

You could always just do it manually. Stab a vampire in a well. Lock some dwarves in there with the well as the only source of "drink." The dwarves will drink the vampire blood and turn into vampires.

All those dwarves starve to death upon abandonment of the fortress.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:31:05 pm »

Don't know if mods are an acceptable solution, but just summarily replacing one disease from disease mod which I know you have with vanilla vampirism (removing the custom title so it doesn't show) can make a % of dwarves vampires. Like so:

Of course, this does not make them have an awesome worldgen history or secret name, so not optimal.

Edit: oh and yeah, that was for 1% vampirism. That's probably relevant to say. :D

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 12:15:12 am »

Doesn't it depend a bit on having suitable gods willing to curse mortals in the first place? Maybe you didn't get any prickly dieties.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 02:07:45 am »

Alright, so, I set vampire types to the max, 1000, and exactly one (1) dwarf became a vampire in the whole history of 60 years.
Is there another way to increase the number of leeches?

History of 60 years? Hah. Vampires need time. Often historical figures become vampires because they want to extend their lifespan. And they start seeking ways to extend it only after they're old. And since dwarves live about 160 years, you'll start getting a lot of vampires only after year ~160 or something. I had a 360 years old world with vampire curse amount doubled and literally every single priest and law-giver was a vampire. It's just a matter of time.

Doesn't it depend a bit on having suitable gods willing to curse mortals in the first place? Maybe you didn't get any prickly dieties.

Yeas, that can be a problem with a little worlds with few deities. Sometimes there just migt noet be random generated a deity which can give those curses. Small (65x65) worlds and abowe it shouldn't be a problem, hovewer.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 02:09:22 am by Matoro »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 01:05:34 pm »

Dwarven lifespans were modded to be 20 years. 

I dunno, maybe no one ever lives long enough to piss off the gods? That might be it. :\

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 08:03:13 am »

Often historical figures become vampires because they want to extend their lifespan. And they start seeking ways to extend it only after they're old. And since dwarves live about 160 years, you'll start getting a lot of vampires only after year ~160 or something.
You're thinking of necromancers - vampires happen when deities curse dwarves (or humans) for profaning their temples (the same as becoming a werecreature), and that's something that just takes additional time to happen.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 03:37:34 pm »

See: Honeystoker

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 05:19:04 pm »

See: Honeystoker

Oh Honeystoker is great.

I believe dwarves starving to death upon abandonment of the fortress was a thing when fortresses lacked options to retire and unretire them, something that is featured in Honeystoker, which uses the latest version (as of writing this post, 44.12). Hell, all of Kruggsmash's recent videos take place in the same world, which is now possible in this game. It's going to get a lot more crazy when the current release Toady's working on gets released.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 12:17:04 am »

Often historical figures become vampires because they want to extend their lifespan. And they start seeking ways to extend it only after they're old. And since dwarves live about 160 years, you'll start getting a lot of vampires only after year ~160 or something.
You're thinking of necromancers - vampires happen when deities curse dwarves (or humans) for profaning their temples (the same as becoming a werecreature), and that's something that just takes additional time to happen.
I don't know if it's in the latest version, but I distinctly recall historical figures profaning temples to extend their lifespans. Granted, it wasn't explicitly stated, and correlation =/= causation, but it seems probable that was what was going on.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."