Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Beauty and FPS death: The Ultimate Waterfall Embark.  (Read 5860 times)

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beauty and FPS death: The Ultimate Waterfall Embark.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 12:21:53 pm »

Very nice use of the waterfall !

Thanks, I wish it was a few z-levels higher so I could have fit a proper library in there, but I do still think that this system has almost 100% misting effect since a lot of the main pathways go next to the waterfall.

This embark sadly has no flux stone, don't know about adamantine yet but what it does have is a shit ton of gold which I have used liberally around the fortress. Currently in the progress of upgrading the bridge into dacite and gold, but just had a bad construction accident leading to over 20 deaths, all fell off the bridge after a collapse and went down the waterfall. At least they will be with The Mist now. Fun fact, one of my dieties is called The Oceanic Shore and my temple to it(?) is got randomly called "The Moist Sanctuary".

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 09:47:43 am »

Once I had a fun embark with a waterfall and a colder climate at the bottom end. Every winter, a big lake formed that was later released down stream. I don't have raws though.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 08:35:04 pm »

Very nice use of 3d space, I've always struggled with that.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

trib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 02:58:38 pm »

Once I had a fun embark with a waterfall and a colder climate at the bottom end. Every winter, a big lake formed that was later released down stream. I don't have raws though.

Damn, I've toyed around with WG a lot to get the largest rivers possible and hunting for waterfalls, but I've never even though about that idea! I gotta mess around with it more, that sounds very cool, although I bet it will absolutely slaughter FPS.

Btw, if you want huge rivers like this one you have to set minimum high rain squares to a large number and then set the minimum rainfall and minimum drainage settings near the top of the advanced world gen list to something like 90. This creates maximum rainfall and maximum drainage which creates a lot of rivers. Small/medium worlds usually only have 1, if that, but larger ones have a lot more, probably around 20.

Very nice use of 3d space, I've always struggled with that.

Thanks, I've got some experience though since I play with invaders off and just focus on building a cool fort.  This was my last fortress, carved inside a volcano. It took so long to carve that area into the mountain that I just resolved that everything has to fit there. It came out pretty well, but alas FPS killed.

Edit:Oh, by the way, there IS flux stone on the site, it's just quite deep.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:08:31 pm by trib »
Pages: 1 [2]