Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Relicdips  (Read 11150 times)

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relicdips
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2018, 11:58:35 am »

Hydro plant power energised not only magma pumps but also the underground animation. Finally I realised that I've failed this construction. It shows random ugly figures not even close to those beautiful patterns that I planned:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile 51-75 stories have been filled with magma:

The fort is 47 years old:

Camera located on the edge of the future flying deck for captured goblins and trolls. For now it's just a temporary foundation:

Magma glows in the night:

Flying deck's foundation almost finished:

Muskoxen graze in the trenches:

Naked dwarves wall out hell's edges:

I still don't understand why they're naked, there's a plenty of clothes in the fort.

The view of the flying glass tower from beneath:

I accidentally flooded the bottom of former magma sea with water:

Maybe later I'll create a full size watery sea in this place.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2018, 04:12:50 pm »

Progress!

Hell walls vs 7 naked dwarves...bit amusing :)

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 07:21:29 am »

Old abandoned metallurgic factory has been briefly flooded with water:

The fort is 50 years old:

Half of hell's perimeter has been walled out:

There are two parallel walls so dwarves can walk between them safely:

The view inside the statue from beneath its armpit:

Temporary foundation of levitating walking deck for captured goblins and trolls has been finished. Dwarves started to construct the platform itself, it consist of glass paved roads, some are green, some are clear. There should be a pattern of green and transparent pixels:

I still have no idea why my dwarves are naked. There's a lot of variuous clothes in the fort, people just don't care.

The strange yellow things hanging in the air over the deck are golden statues of deities that citizens of Relicdips worship. Some statues are not very interesting, some other deserve to be mentioned. For example, there's a statue depicting the goddess of fame and hospitality Uk torturing a goblin:

The same goddess impaled two trolls on wild carrots:

The same goddess enslaving 100 crundles:

The god of crafts and metals Rith teaching dwarves to work in a forge:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 08:52:05 am »

Rith hanging out with dwarves:

Shosel Furcarnal, the deity of lust, hanging out with dwarves:

Shosel having fun with a dragon:

Ushdish, the deity of freedom and dawn, having fun with a hemp plant:

Samam, the Ignited Ace, the deity of valor, war and fortresses, unleashes his wrath upon goblins and trolls:

Samam rapes a bronze colossus:

Utost, the deity of jewels, minerals and mountains, beats demons with a pick:

Utost refuses elves:

Dwarves installed cages with captives on the walking deck. I planned to move all the captives in single cage (marked with red arrow) one z-level higher but dwarves moved there a second guy and refused to continue, I have no idea why. They say they need an empty cage to move a creature from one cage to another. WTF?

I found out why so many of my dwarves look naked. It's a glitch in Armok Vision, the same dwarves look fully clothed either in main window after v+i or in Stone Sense:

It's the same place and the same time as in 6th picture of previous post.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2018, 09:21:41 am »

Are those the start of arms I see?

The "need empty cage" has also shown up for me when trying to pit creatures. Just got to have empty cage; they won't use it for anything they just want it to be available.

Floating glass roads is a nice idea.

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2018, 12:47:07 pm »

Are those the start of arms I see?

That's how it is, poorly visible because of the cloak on shoulders:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2018, 09:06:15 am »

I forgot to share two more awesome statues featuring Shosel Furcarnal, the deity of lust. Here she's having fun with an eggplant:

And here she's impersonating Deep Throat final scene with three trolls:

Human diplomat arrived, visited for some reason the megapit dug out over the failed underground animation:

He's just beneath the ceiling, Armok Vision depicts him naked because of a glitch.

I've wondered: can supports hang in the air just like roads and other stuff? The answer is yes but only pretty low, there must be at least diagonal connection between the support and an ordinary construction or rock mass:

Those flying supports are fully functional, it's possible to build ordinary constructions over them:

And to freeze ice over them with water in buckets, it's OK, nothing collapses:

By the way, I found out that obsidian floor poured with freezing water becomes transparent.

Dwarves started to dismantle temporary foundation of the flying platform:

I found out that relation "be connected" between flying supports and ordinary constructions is transitive:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 09:45:05 am »

I found out that if dwarves pour water over a flying support it creates the same ice cube as if the support had a floor over it:

A very simple demon-catcher:

suprisingly attracted all the demons still inhabiting hell. Even more surprisingly the demons, instead of entering inside, crowded beneath the hatch on the right and seemingly got asleep. It seems that I've managed to exploit a bug in their nervous systems.

Dwarves buried them from beneath:

The fort is 53 years old:

I found out that flying supports support each other not only vertically and diagonally but horizontally too:

The fort is 54 years old:

Dwarves hung all the cages containing captured goblins and trolls over the undone walking deck:

Armok Vision depicts the cages as question marks.

I started new project. It should be a 17x17x17 ice cube demon-collector. Right now only half of obsidian foundation is ready:

The view from statue's armpit to the pump stack:

The posing dwarf is not really naked, it's a glitch.

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 01:23:14 pm »

In hell dwarves walled out the deepest z-level fully and the next z-level partially:

Ice cube's bottom has been finished, dwarves are building the exoskeleton from which they're going to pour water inside:

The megapit over the failed underground animation keeps on growing:

Dwarves started to pour water into the ice cube. I found out that water freezes not when touching a solid surface as I thought before but right in the air, still falling. Finally it either glues to a construction or falls down as a solid ice thing breaking everything beneath, just like any other cave-in. I tried to fill whole cube from above but got just a few shelf-like shapes right under the top:

Also I found out that the ice in Armok Vision is very transparent, much more than the glass.

In hell naked (because the same glitch as before) dwarves keep on building walls, it looks like a strip-show:

Dwarves change the strategy to build the ice cube. Now they try to freeze it out not from above but from below, like any other construction:

On the bottom of the cube dwarves installed some furniture, mainly armor stands that current mayor likes so much:

I planned that those armor stands should become the bait for demons but suddenly a thought experiment clearly showed that even in freezing environments it's possible to ice to melt in the middle of a summer. Few dwarves rode the wave and fell down from the altitude of 87 or even 90 z-levels:

Fortunately I had a recent save so it didn't really happen. In the main thread of Relicdip's history dwarves evacuated from the danger zone, no-one got hurt. By the way, I found out that according to dwarven physics solid items fall significantly faster than liquid water. The waterfall is beautiful:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2018, 05:34:19 am »

First falling waterdrops were still in the air when water suddenly froze, not everywhere, just in some places, probably in one biome of the two:

On the surface the hell of a mess of ice, water, magma and obsidian is forming:

It grows:

An icy wall grew up near the edge of the map:

One flying glass leaf, damaged by falling ice, is leaking. Big icy things hang in the air not falling, I have no idea what the fuck is going on:

In the end of July all the water froze, hanging icy things finally fell. Flying deck's obsidian foundation got transparent where ice has formed over it:

Miners tried to dig out the ice that has been formed over the flying deck. When they finished any stripe of ice, strange thing happened: the obsidian foundation beneath the entire stripe suddenly collapsed, obsidian blocks fell on the ground, ice boulders disappeared but the ground where the blocks fell over, got covered with ice:

Dwarves built an outside mason workshop to make ice blocks, I didn't know that it's techically imposible:

Miners also dug out the permafrosted brook. The mysterious virtually solid surface of the brook fell one z-level down, the brook became the underground one. Miners had to pierce its cover with many stairs:

Miners penetrated ice conglomerates with stairs:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2019, 07:09:00 am »

The embark has run out of ice. Dwarves set up a primitive ice factory based on pouring buckets of water from a long wall. First I understood that the ice should be dug with d+h, not with d+d:

Then I understood that it's very dangerous design, it's highly likely for dwarves working here to follow the fate of general Karbyshev. Dwarves try to pour water from higher altitude, it goes weirdly wrong:

Apparently water poured into freezing air freezes after a random time interval, usually very short. Moreover, next summer this ice molt, the water dropped down, entered a layer of colder air and immediately froze again. Finally the statue got a pair of long icy handles growing out of its ass:

The statue has grown up to the shoulders. As the body gets thinner, construction workers more often get outside commuting to their workplaces:

Meanwhile dwarves secured the hell completely:

Next goal is to cover all the bottomless pits with thick walls able to survive collapsing ceiling. I found out that bottomless pits look beautiful in Armok Vision:

A miner suddenly started without a reason to train climbing right over a magma lake:

He survived.

Another weregilamonster arrived. Stayed for a while at the gates of the fort then transformed into a pretty goblin lady:

Then she's been beaten to death with metal crossbows.

The statue has grown up to the lower part of the head:

Muskoxen graze on the surface:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2019, 01:19:24 pm »

It's time to fill 76-100 stories of the statue with magma. That's how it looked inside the statue right before:

Pumps got energised, magma started to flow. Do you remember the naked girl posing near the pumps? That's the same place:

Magma reached the enclosed pathway leading to the failed icecube:

Finally filled all 100 z-levels:

Dwarves tried to make an ice factory another way. They built a pump stack sending water to the surface, the mechanization leads right through the graveyard:

Then I found out that water freezes under clear sky immediately. It's impossible to create significant amounts of ice this way:

Miners dug a long ring-shaped tunnel around a decorative trench, filled it with water, got an icy wall:

Then I found out that it's incredibly dangerous to dig such a wall, there's a decent chance for a miner to get frozen into ice. So I tried another way. Miners dug out a pit 10x10x16 tiles:

Filled it with water:

To be continued.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 09:22:44 pm »

This is, without a doubt, the most ambitious construction project since Undergrotto.  Have you needed to increase the map's vertical limit after you started?  Climbing over magma and the frozen Miners gave me a laugh :)  I have no idea why this hasn't seen more attention, but as someone who also enjoys building statues, I am amazed by what you have done here.

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 10:37:52 am »

Have you needed to increase the map's vertical limit after you started? 

Yes, "infiniteSky 100" in DFHack.

When the 10x10x16 pit had been filled with water, miners dug out all the soil over it, the water had frozen:

Then miners began to dig the ice out:

Ice cube construction resumed, dwarves dismantled obsidian floor tiles, constructed icy plates instead:

Miners dug very long, almost vertical tunnel from almost demon-kennel to the surface. Dwarves started to build an icy stairway from this place upward:

The fort is 64 years old. The glass tower got ready to be filled with magma:

Another angle:

I found out that ice boulders sometimes melt when builders haul them to the place of construction. Initially it was not very often but since magma fill 100 stories of the statue, it has become almost inevitable. But the icy stairway to heaven dwarves build with no problems:

The magmafiller device for the glass tower zoomed in:

Dwarves filled the glass tower with magma. I found out that pressurized magma siphons upward through the stairholes in the shoulders of the statue:

One more miner trains climbing over the magma lake, he crawls the megapit's ceiling like a fly. The photo is made from the ceiling of the upper demon-collector, there's a lot of underground trees over it:

vp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 02:44:53 pm »

When the flying glass tower had been filled with magma, dwarves had to partially drain magma out of the statue - to make access to the magma-injecting system to dismantle it later. Unfortunately, Stone Sense still broken and Armok Vision steadily glitched when I tried to film a video, so all I could produce were four still images made in Armok Vision from various angles. Intervals between them were about 100-300 ticks.

It was very dangerous for dwarves:

Fortunately, nobody got hurt.

The view of unfinished ice cube from unfinished flying platform:

Spilled magma changed configuration of the icy-obsidian mess under statue's ass:

Magma filled several decorative trenches:

In the middle of 66th fort's summer the ice hanging under statue's ass partially molt and produced a hanging lake:

Then it dried away.

Dwarves partially dismantled the magma-filling system for the glass tower:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4