Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: EDIT: Midas Dragon Finished  (Read 929 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
EDIT: Midas Dragon Finished
« on: March 31, 2018, 11:03:18 pm »

I have managed to get the Midas dragon working now, and have posted the raws for anyone else who enjoys the irony of a megabeast that increases the value of your fort while laying it to waste.

Creature raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Interaction raws:

And updated raws for DIAMOND_CLEAR (optional, will need to replace existing DIAMOND_CLEAR)

Warlord255 and IndigoFenix, thank you for your assistance.
As a token of my appreciation, I present you with this methane-emitting self-immolating coal-snake. It's a silly thing, but plenty of !!FUN!!

Methane raws here (properties not accurate):

Original post below

This requires the following interactions to work:

For best results, you should replace the raws for DIAMOND_CLEAR with this:

I've found it mostly works. The dragon transforms enemies into gold statues by first transforming the target into a DRAGON_MIDAS_VICTIM, which is a special creature that drops a masterwork gold statue when it dies.

There are a few issues I am still struggling with, however:

1. I would like DRAGON_MIDAS_VICTIM to die almost instantly after being transformed. I have given it a special HARI_KIRI interaction that is supposed to induce an instant-death necrosis syndrome on itself, but this isn't working. Is there a better way to create creatures that kill themselves?

2. I would also like the dragon's blood to transmit the midas curse to anyone that comes in contact with it by giving them the MIDAS_TOUCH interaction. I haven't had any luck transmitting it in the arena. How does one create syndrome spreading blood, and can the syndrome spread simply by walking over a bloodied tile?

3. I would like the dragon to use the MIDAS_TOUCH interaction on friendly creatures as well, but it doesn't. I added [CDI:USAGE_HINT:GREETING], but this didn't work. Does the dragon need a tag in order to "greet" friendlies, or is there another reason this could be failing?

4. Finally, I would like to give the dragon DIAMOND_CLEAR teeth. How does one do that? I had a look at body plans, but am not really sure how they work or how I could substitute something like that. I managed to change scales, fat and muscle to gold, and claws to diamond, but teeth look more complicated.

Sorry, there are a lot of questions there, but this is my first attempt to mod a creature and I have been stuck on these aspects of the implementation. The dragon is already plenty of "Fun" as is.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:03:13 am by thompson »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Help finishing Midas Dragon
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 05:27:25 pm »

Does the transform -> death -> itemcorpse work for you in arena? My most recent understanding of that effect was that it would transform back to its original shape on death.

One way to induce instant death would be to have a liquid brain outside its body. It'll melt instantly as soon as the creature becomes "real", causing instant death.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 05:58:24 pm »

The item dropping does work in the arena. The only problem there is that the MIDAS_DRAGON_VICTIM dummy unit isn't guaranteed to die. I didn't give it any internal organs and made it out of gold, so that may be the problem.

I've managed to get the Midas curse transmission working now. Friendly units don't target eachother in the arena yet, but I'm wondering if that is just an arena problem. I'll do some in-fort tests to see how that goes.

Now if I could just work out those teeth...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:54:08 pm »

For an instantaneous death transformation, do the following:

Create a tiny creature with a body plan that includes a HEAD part.  Then make the head entirely out of a material that evaporates at room temperature.  The creature's head will evaporate instantly, killing it.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 06:46:11 am »

Thank you all for the help. I have got it working now by making a rapidly evaporating brain that sits on the temporary creature's forehead.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: EDIT: Midas Dragon Finished
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 04:06:18 pm »

Another way is to have the victim transform into a creature with an upper spine and lungs, but no brain, skull or middle/lower spine, along with the [IMMOBILE] token - they'll fall over immediately, unable to move, and will start suffocating. I use it personally for petrifaction/goldifying syndromes for some of my megas. While someone affected this way is 100% dead, its not instant death - perhaps one could take it as the victim excruciatingly turning into whatever shape the resulting statue takes and dying as a result of suffocation+crushing.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: EDIT: Midas Dragon Finished
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 06:03:14 am »

That approach would also work with temperature turned off, which i definitely a bonus. I'll keep it in mind.