Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mini-Mod: Driftwood! (EDIT: Aborting for now...)  (Read 764 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Mini-Mod: Driftwood! (EDIT: Aborting for now...)
« on: April 02, 2018, 02:15:26 pm »

Whipped this up over my lunch break. Still need to test it more extensively, but take a look and tell me if you see any glaring errors.

The desired effect is for Driftwood "vermin" to wash up on shore, leaving behind un-butcherable corpses that are instead automatically processed at a Wood Furnace to "dry" them into usable logs - or sometimes furniture - to help the beleaguered tree-deprived ocean embark.

In object:creature;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In object:reaction;

In object:plant;

The plant/wood related bits are what I'm most concerned about, as I had a hard time finding any raws that produced wood items without using GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT. I assume I need a dummy "tree" that doesn't grow anywhere to properly store driftwood logs in stockpiles, right?

EDIT: Updated reactions so that they output correctly now, and adding [UBIQUITOUS] to the Driftwood "creature" ensures it shows up - also BEACH_FREQUENCY to 99.

EDIT2: Added NOEMOTION/FEAR/EXERT just in case, and finally got the material/tissue definition to stop spitting errors at me. Changed creature name and reaction name call for clarity.

EDIT3: Welp, I'm giving up for now. I can't get the driftwood vermin to wash ashore on the beach, regular fishing doesn't work, and butchering to logs is a no-go... so I'm gonna shelf it for now for sanity's sake. If anyone else can make it work, feel free.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:10:10 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

dimondmine2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Mod: Driftwood! (Help/Testing requested.)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:38:16 pm »

This is brilliant. What sort of frequency are you looking to set? How many logs per season is what I mean. Also, as a potential area to check for bugs, I wonder if a frozen embark with frozen ocean (arctic sea?) as one of the embark tiles will generate driftwood.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:42:13 pm »

This is brilliant. What sort of frequency are you looking to set? How many logs per season is what I mean. Also, as a potential area to check for bugs, I wonder if a frozen embark with frozen ocean (arctic sea?) as one of the embark tiles will generate driftwood.

AFAIK, frozen oceans are a no-go for fish, unless you do some truly daring stuff with magma. As far as logs per season, I have no way to measure that - I suspect it'd be a function of how many other fish compete for the spawn queue.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:16:36 pm »

Update: This is frustrating. I embarked to a rocky wasteland beach, hoping to survive off seafood exports and driftwood.

However, despite BEACH_FREQUENCY:99, and being able to SEE the Driftwood on the ocean, the little bastards refuse to wash ashore. I tried removing VERMIN_NOFISH to see if they'd be caught the ordinary way, and double-checked that my Refuse stockpile accepted their corpses. So far, no luck.

If BEACH_FREQUENCY is busted or otherwise not working, I fear that the air will have gone out of this mod. Will report with further testing. :\