Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26

Author Topic: Simple Fort... Succession game... Resident clowns  (Read 55656 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Fort... Succession game
« Reply #315 on: September 29, 2018, 06:53:33 pm »

If the queen can save herself from the demons, it should be...workable. Haven't looked inside the save, but next migrant wave will likely bring more than 7 migrants and fort is already dug out.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 29, 2018, 06:54:52 pm »

Or we could move onto fort 3 before we finish this thread up for good. Were there any features added that would require us to regenerate the world? If not then I'm gonna find a new location next week (currently on vacation). But we'll see what happens to this fort.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Memphis_Wildcard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2018, 08:10:30 am »

We could always... roll back the save
I kind of like this ending to the fort even if I don't get to play it. Simple Fort ended by... A simple mistake.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 30, 2018, 12:30:37 pm »

Well, I wasn't expecting this exactly, but...

You weaklings, crying defeat already!
The surviving dwarves deserve the chance to die violently as their peers!

The main stairway has been sealed. We lost access to the caves and the forges.
The White Demon the has risen up the stairs has either become immobile from all the punches or lost interest, so it is just sitting by the coffins while killing the eventual brave elf bard.
The access through the pump stack is being sealed right now, between tantrums and cage trap cancels (mechanics will be disable right now and for a long time, probably.)

There is a lot of food, anvils and battle gear. It should be okay as long as they don't turn on each other, as usual.
In a time before time, I had a name.

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 30, 2018, 01:32:51 pm »

If this end I am quite ok with the ending. Even more because the circus was open by mistake and for suicide purposes. Now if the fort can recover it will be epic painfulll
Ô_ quack

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 30, 2018, 02:10:10 pm »

Show of hands, should we build a sanitarium, or pack up and move on?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 01, 2018, 12:17:56 am »

Sanitarium in hell.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 01, 2018, 09:37:10 am »

Definitely go with the sanitarium
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 01, 2018, 01:08:12 pm »

I posted the save so people could explore it, but without the workforce needed to bury or burn the hundreds of bodies, we're going to have issues. Plus the extra lag from all of the demons in the pits. I don't think you can give nobles jobs, but they appear to retain whatever jobs (including military service?) they had before being promoted. Maybe the queen would be useful? I couldn't find a good place to wall off just the forges, so they weren't sealed before the demons came up the stairs.

On the other hand, we should have enough low-quality meals to dwarf ratio that we can survive a year or two of doing nothing but making slabs and finding a way to get rid of all of the corpses, if that's what someone's into. If we continue, someone please find out more about Adil Umamkel, the captain who (I think single-handedly) cut the demon's torso off. That was pretty awesome. Actually, thanks to the military training regimen we had going, the suicide charge at the end was nearly successful.

Also, I don't understand ramps at all. As far as I can tell, our fortress should not have been accessible between something like the 3rd and 4th floors, so I added stairs. I also managed, in another game, to get dwarves stuck at the bottom of the ramp they were digging before I learned wheelbarrows can go up/down stairs. Sorry again for unleashing literal hell on this place.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 02, 2018, 05:43:51 am »

Only CHAMPION noble currently refuses labours altogether, others just can't be captains or such due to a bug. The queen is perfectly fine dwarf expect for the mandates and room requests bit.

Ramps can get you stuck if you dig like this (side view:

DDDR
RDDD

alternating. To ascend a ramp, there must be adjacent wall or fortification with walkable floor above.

Note that for the purposes of building destroyers, on ramp isn't considered same floor. But you can dig the tiles above while standing on one.

It's also possible to hide passages under buildings. Tried following a dwarf around from 3rd to 4th floor?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 02, 2018, 07:56:31 pm »

So, huh... Who cleans the bodies?

I mean, if Iduno wants to do it, since he hadn't quite finished his year yet. (It's still Malachite, I think.)
I can do it too if you guys are want me to however.

Memphis_Wildcard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 03, 2018, 04:27:04 am »

Sanitarium gets my vote. This has been a wild ride. A simple concept totally derailed by the game's eccentricities and the primary fort killer accessed accidentally. It's like the Ur Fort. Great expectations; endless obstacles and failure.
Reading through I also loved how many of us were determined that it was totally possible to save the fort or that they had succeeded in turning things around. I think the successive nature of rulership is part of what killed the fort as well. Any one of us might have fixed it but we gave the fort away just as it started to pull up leaving the next person to be confused and need a year to fix what problems they noticed.
Really a fascinating read, even if not quite as epic as some of the old disaster forts.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 03, 2018, 09:02:46 am »

Nah, getting rid of that many bodies with maybe 1 functional dwarf seems terrible to me. I am also going to be away from my computer for a few days.

Also, the queen is going to be very angry by now. I focused on cleaning up the fortress, and never got her a room made. There was one carved, but it's slightly demon-infested now.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 03, 2018, 02:08:41 pm »

Well, the under world is more or less dealt with by now, so I will try to set up acceptable defenses for above ground threats. I'll close off everything. Hope we get a migrant wave or two before we get a siege.

((Demons are trapped inside the spire because of a bug with piercing through the base.))
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:51:16 pm by Magistrum »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26