Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Simple Fort... Succession game... Resident clowns  (Read 54667 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Fort... Succession game... Resident clowns
« Reply #345 on: October 31, 2018, 10:14:35 pm »

The body dumping continues.
It does not go well, Savotral was good at destroying coffins but he liked to leave the bodies for display on the floor.
Everyone is miserable, except for Èzum, who is suspiciously chill about the whole thing...
A visiting performer freaked out and put the doc on the hospital, through the wrong door.
The Animal Trainer killed a man, bringing us down to five working dwarves.
The performer then started some other fights and threw some stuff around.
3 went to the hospital, few cuts and bruises, one broken bone...
They sutured the wounds with adamantine clothing, of course.
Forbid all adamantine strands.
Some ghosts rise up and we memorialize them whenever they show up.
A bit hard since they have the habit of spooking the dwarf engraving their epithet.
I didn't know there were so many holes on this fortress. Covered three holes to the surface.
Seems to have worked, goblins are enjoying themselves hunting wildlife and stepping on the single working weapon trap up there.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 31, 2018, 10:41:35 pm »

Might as well keep suturing with the strands they used, I think they might be useless for regular smithing now.

Only three? I expected lot more than that.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #347 on: October 31, 2018, 11:44:03 pm »

That doesn't make any sense. You don't suture wounds with clothing. You don't even suture them with cloth. You suture with thread.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 01, 2018, 01:55:24 pm »

That doesn't make any sense. You don't suture wounds with clothing. You don't even suture them with cloth. You suture with thread.
I didn't pay much attention and used clothing for thread, might be because English is not my mother language. Yes, I do know that thread is a thin rope and cloth is a lot of weaved threads.

We use cloth to dress wounds, right? Or clothing, but I think that would be another kind of dressing then.
Might as well keep suturing with the strands they used, I think they might be useless for regular smithing now.

Only three? I expected lot more than that.
If I remember correctly, they just disappear once the patient heals. A shame, really.

Well, there were doors that could ve forbidden, and the west bridge is still working, so those were easier. One was a open wall on the above ground jail, one was a literal hole on the ceiling of the above ground jail,really funny, the gobbos didn't jump in, I discovered when a visitor went "pick up equipment" and got a arrow the the foot.  And one on the pumpstack for the mist generator.

I hope everyone stays sane until the goblins lose interest and scamper. If they overstay their welcome I'll send everyone to the towers and pelt them with bolts until they get convinced they need to bring trolls to break the doors.

Hope there is enough ammo... Maybe I should make a minecart body shotgun, it's the only thing we have in appreciable amounts besides booze.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 01, 2018, 04:11:00 pm »

Sounds like a treehole for the jail. Got to be miserable, in jail and puking your guts out and goblins shoot you in the knee as well.

What kind of happiness is there remaining? Dining and sleeping, I assume?

PS: I referred to the rest of threadspool. Y'know, they don't use the whole thread item, only a small bit of it, so it goes from 10000/10000 to something like 9???/10000. They can keep suturing with the latter, but can't turn it into wafers.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 01, 2018, 10:29:38 pm »

The dwarves elected a new Mayor!

The animal trainer Stodir finally snapped and tried to kill everyone.
He didn't hurt anyone, but the guys got pretty bummed from having to kill their murderous friend. He had already killed the tanner tough, so I can't say it was much of a plot twist.
To make up for it however, Kikrost, has finally decided to get in on the madness!

Sounds like a treehole for the jail. Got to be miserable, in jail and puking your guts out and goblins shoot you in the knee as well.

What kind of happiness is there remaining? Dining and sleeping, I assume?

PS: I referred to the rest of threadspool. Y'know, they don't use the whole thread item, only a small bit of it, so it goes from 10000/10000 to something like 9???/10000. They can keep suturing with the latter, but can't turn it into wafers.

Yep treehole. Also, there was one over the pen, but I didn't have means(or will) to close it, so they spent some time shooting arrows at the bulls. Surprisingly effective. Still have too many bulls tough.

Right in the money, whenever someone starts getting depressed I burrow him on the booze stockpile level. There are no bodies there, a communal bedroom, I put some tables there and designated the whole area as dining room. It is a Grand Dining room, wich I find acceptable for a room that spans the entire layer.

Maybe adamantine is an exception, I couldn't find anything like that.
Spoiler: Found this however: (click to show/hide)

The goblins have finally grown tired of shooting at the animals and went home. Too bad, it felt like fps was improving for a second there.
Just in time for a caravan and more migrants!
Seven migrants have come, ready to die. Which is very nice, because their friends had to spend a extended stay at the booze stockpile, so there was no one actually hauling the corpses.
With Kikrost, that makes it 12 brave dwarves. Really nice, the body hauling should pick up pace fast, a bit more and we can start dumping the above-ground bodies too. After that we will move on to the scattered body parts.

I saw our sudden population increase and took the time took refill our cistern.
It is a shame tough, there seems to be an aquifer in the bauxite layer, so this cistern will be redundant after we set that up. It did it's job well.

Oh, I also fixed the dismantled roof on the Northwest Tower. How did that happen?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:32:27 pm by Magistrum »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 02, 2018, 12:34:42 pm »

In another installment of Simple News!

The Goblins are at it again! The above ground bodies were being recovered, but everyone got inside safely before the g's rallied.
Because of that we have been working on the inside only for these months.

All indoor bodies have been dumped, and most teeth and heads have been dumped, meaning we can finally enable cleaning for everyone! We can finally discover what is the color of the floor! Here's a tip: Not red! Not anymore, anyway.

We are trying to memorialize everyone now.
Everyone is either 'haggard and drawn" or "under a great deal of stress", except for Atîs, the butcher, whose life is a veritable nightmare, and I designated to engrave the slabs, since that involves a whole lot less of dragging bodies. She'll get better, I'm sure.
There is also Deduk and Èzum, who are fine. I find it suspicious.

The situation is so bad that even the goblins think our fortress sucks.
Maybe it would be better if they would do us the favor of finding something else to do while we try to collect the bodies instead of camping on our lawn.

Why are there so many caged war dogs?

I'll enable general hauling soon, and then we can rebuild properly. I will send some dwarves to the towers to "incentivize" them to go away if they don't leave till Obsidian.

Since only the surface bodies remain, I want to know who is next, spring is coming, and the dwarves are finally calming down from the month without body hauling.

Edit: The first squad to be reinstated is the Marksdwarves squad! No one can aim straight, but that shouldn't be a problem from behind the fortifications.

It's Spring! I think it is Onciblu's turn now, I'll PM him as soon as I finish uploading the save.

Editier: The save is here.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:00:44 pm by Magistrum »

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 02, 2018, 03:51:04 pm »

Hey magistrum, melhoras

I wont be able to play till day 15 or so. Soo, i don't know how is the queue right now
Ô_ quack

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 02, 2018, 05:15:39 pm »

Kametec has sadly went to a better place, may his memory always be with us.
In retrospect, not, I'm sure he is having fun playing Roblox right now.

I guess that's scourge728 then! I PM'd him.

If you are scourge, then here is the file. It is the file if you are not scourge too.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 02, 2018, 05:17:04 pm »

I've got the save, and will play asap
EDIT: Our militia commander is kind of broken appointing someone just resets it back to nothing after I leave the screen , so no new squads for us I guess, I also managed to get a dwarf listed twice in the same squad
EDIT: I guess I just can't appoint someone who's already in a squad?
EDIT3: I was gonna remove everyone due to the fact that If I'm right the dwarf HAS to lead a squad or it unappoints them, but the dwarf listed twice can't be removed on either spot, and the dwarf leading the marks dwarf squad can't be removed because of them.... so Idek

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #355 on: November 03, 2018, 09:58:00 pm »

lol
the mausoleum site to collapse the waveform there.  :P
This merits further research.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:52:00 am by FakerFangirl »
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 03, 2018, 10:15:06 pm »

Turn is done, will do the writing part tomorrow

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 04, 2018, 05:39:23 pm »

I've got the save, and will play asap
EDIT: Our militia commander is kind of broken appointing someone just resets it back to nothing after I leave the screen , so no new squads for us I guess, I also managed to get a dwarf listed twice in the same squad
EDIT: I guess I just can't appoint someone who's already in a squad?
EDIT3: I was gonna remove everyone due to the fact that If I'm right the dwarf HAS to lead a squad or it unappoints them, but the dwarf listed twice can't be removed on either spot, and the dwarf leading the marks dwarf squad can't be removed because of them.... so Idek
Sorry for taking so long to check the thread, it is just some weirdness with the militia commander and squads. There needs to be a militia commander to appoint any dwarves to military service, and the militia commander is the first dwarf of the first squad. I appointed Èzum for militia commander(because he is very chill about dead bodies) and then I went down to the marksdwarves squad and made him put himself on the marksdwarves squad along with his friends, as if he were only a militia commander, but then, because he is not the first dwarf of the first squad anymore, the is no militia commander to appoint other militia captains. (All of this is meaningless speculation, I'll reproduce this and show Toady on mantis once I get some free time.)

You need to remove everyone from under him or replace militia commander in the nobles screen.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 04, 2018, 09:52:37 pm »

First IRL happened, so write up will be tomorrow
Second, I kinda figured that out, but for some reason it let me appoint other dwarves from migrant waves even without a militia commander and appointed one of them as militia commander

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2018, 08:40:33 pm »

This turn got deleted by fat fingering, so second attempt LET'S A GO

Spring
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Summer

Autumn and Winter because I'm an idiot and forgot to screenshot the winter message

Notes for the next overseer

BEHOLD, THE MIGHTY SAVE http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14102
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26