Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Simple Fort... Succession game... Resident clowns  (Read 54677 times)

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Fort... Succession game
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:51 am »

The adequate miner migrant is a great candidate for Xenir's dorfing.

Edit: Great job on reporting what happens as it happens. I'm getting an inspiration for my next turn.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:57:30 am by Kametec_Housen »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2018, 01:49:08 pm »

I have played two days. What does the lever south of the gate do?

The one by the bridge? I planned to have it raise the bridge before I moved the entrance. It probably was never connected to anything. The one by the water fills our cistern so we can build a well.

I fixed some work orders, the cancellation spam was driving me crazy. Now it checks for materials before annoying us.

Yeah, whoever set those up should be ashamed/get around to learning how to set up more complicated orders. Sadly, we'll never know who did it.

Edit: Great job on reporting what happens as it happens. I'm getting an inspiration for my next turn.

I was pretty happy with the results of roleplaying the personality DF generated for a dwarf with my name. Also, someone insane/stressed from not enough sleep.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 02:01:23 pm by Iduno »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2018, 02:01:42 pm »

"I got assigned as captain of the swordsdwarves! I am now a militia captain, and aunt was demoted for underperformance, take that aunt Mestthos!
Wait... How do I even use a sword?"

Yesterday I had to attend an unplanned marriage party, so I got home ~2 AM and couldn't play at all, but today I should get at least some six months done. By the way, what was your framerate? My current PC is utter trash and I'm dragging along with ~30 FPS or less.)

After making the speardwarves go trough the fifth axe demonstration, the squad was broke up by weapon type. The professional soldiers are now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have an watch tower now! I don't remember correctly, but marksdwarves range is about twenty tiles away, So I put it near the entrance, 18 tiles away from the map edge.

Six dwarves became our brand new "Garrison" squad! The Garrison will use the schedule "Garrison Rotation" which will send marksdwarves to either train or staff any archer towers we put on the map. They carry only a wooden shield and a wooden crossbow, and will be focused on speed. They are:

And the recent weapon production was right on time, our first guests are here!
Our medic should get some training soon.
I updated the Emergency burrow, and renamed the alert to "Hide!", to better represent what I want them to do.

I will try to close the entrance and see if the Garrison weakens them first, they arrived seconds after I designated the changes, we haven't even had time to get our armors on yet.

Edit: Well...

After combat edit:
"We all knew something like this was bound to happen."

The lack of steel for the reservists showed:
I take back the trash I gave the wrestlers though.
A roundhouse house kick to the face, ouch!
Uvash Dodóktomus even disarmed an armored hammerman by kicking his arm so hard his elbow bended and teared the muscle apart.

Also, shields very much break now:

For anyone keeping the score:
Losses:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 04:11:26 pm by Magistrum »
In a time before time, I had a name.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2018, 04:15:54 pm »

I promise there's a perfectly valid reason for this...
The recent event with the cistern will slow the set up of the purification plant and cause many infections.
At least I got some soap out of the dead animals.

Edit: Humans came to trade, I will get whatever they have out of metal and continue the with the well building.

Invader edit:

Migrant edit:
It's galena and we have a migration wave, seven dwarves!
Hopefully they don't get on the Cyclops way.

None of them had special skills, so they were assigned as reservists:

And as part of the garrison for the would-be hunters:

Cyclops edit:
The cyclops, in a stroke of genius, ran after a two humped camel like an idiot while the military ran after it like idiots,  and then it ended up between the migrants and the fortress entrance.
The migrants had already been carrying their crossbows for hunting and what not, so they did what they do: bash it innefectively againts the cyclops because their ammo isn't technically part of their military uniform.
After a lot of getting punched and having the attacks glance away the captain of the speardwarves arrived and dealt with it in one hit.
The cyclops had an artifact cenäth with it.
The Human was a monster hunter that had just been refused stay.
Maybe it was a travelling bard and we misundertood it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:16:23 pm by Magistrum »

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2018, 02:27:58 pm »

Yeah, whoever set those up should be ashamed/get around to learning how to set up more complicated orders. Sadly, we'll never know who did it.

Oh the mystery... Just who could have it been?

Spoiler: Farm Lands (click to show/hide)

No dimple cups grew before my turn ended, so I didn't get to see it in action. :-[ I couldn't figure how to differentiate dyed cloth from not yet dyed cloth in conditions, so I tried to chain the orders instead, but it was my first try trying to set up stuff like Order B starts after Order A is completed for repeating orders and it looks like I got it wrong, sorry!

Stoat tales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2018, 04:39:25 pm »

A cyclops wielding a metal harp attacked a dwarvern fortress whilst a migrant wave fought it off by hitting it with wooden crossbows.

Only in Simple fort

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2018, 05:43:01 pm »

I like the mental image of a camel being chased by a cyclops which is being chased by armed dwarfs. :)

Xenir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2018, 06:58:20 pm »

The fucking instrument has more kills than the new migrant marksdwarves.
Lol
Quote from: GoombaGeek
That sounds gay. It's not. It's fucking terrifying.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
Olin isn't fucking around this time. He knows it'll take more punishment than a BDSM expo in a tornado made out of serrated blades. So he hits it until the head is mush. Then he hits the body until it's got a soupy texture too. When he's done, it doesn't look like a cat. It looks like a fucking meat puddle.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2018, 09:13:29 pm »

I got myself an air conditioner to fix plus minor inconveniences all through the day followed by distant family visit, so not much happend until now.
Well is done, It's a two reservoir system, a wide one layer resorvoir for stagnant water and two pumps moved by dwarf power move it to a two level deep smaller clean water reservoir.

The microline lever did control the floodgate. I installed some (useless) floor gates and left an annotation there.

We got ~4 dwarves with infections, wich is pretty bad for the number of wounded.
 Does it ever rain here? It has been drained for a whole season already! Or maybe I'm too used to my rain forests.

Soap is in and I forbid some tallow from cooking, I think I'll set up automated soap production soon.
I tried to chain the orders instead, but it was my first try trying to set up stuff like Order B starts after Order A is completed for repeating orders and it looks like I got it wrong, sorry!
Didn't mess with that yet, just added some conditions to the food production and removed shields because I can't specify wooden shields for product condition, and we got way more than twenty shields.

Am digging some exploratory corridors on the marble layer for cassiterite and malachite, because I noticed I'm using tetahedrite for bronze, which can make some people get mad at me.

Am using bronze for the reserves armor, 40 gauntlets, high boots, greaves, mailshirts and breastplates, shields and helms are iron (were made before the first siege)

8 of each native weapon out of iron, 40 total.

Using bronze because steel is moving by very slowly, professional squads just now got fully equiped, bolts are bronze for now too... 6 Magma Smelters going right now, might need more and Food+Beds near workshop to keep some hands nearby.

Four reserve squads, five units each. Please be aware that only those on duty are uniformed, their rotation is:
Spring - 1st Reserve
Summer - 2nd Reserve
Autumn - 3rd Reserve
Winter - 4th Reserve

So in summer the 2nd Reserve can answer imediatelly, but calling the 1st Reserve might slow response, or worse, answer fast and naked.

Keeping them uniformed when out of duty allows us to use them as haulers, since they have very little armor user skill and drag themselves when in armor.

The plan is moving the most skilled to the professional squads when the reserves squad get full.

The Garrison is now fully staffed, I'll try to set up a tower near where the last siege came up, and move new marksdwarves to a crossbow squad with armor to move around with the other professional soldiers.

Someone got his foot absolutely destroyed by the cyclips, but he is one the Garrison, so if he gets a crutch he will become lightning fast just from all the running he will have to do.

Now that the Livestock is safe inside, should we disable hunting and gathering, to avoid dwarves outside?

Also, I think a walled outside area in the middle of the map would be best for picking fruit, if we absolutely will mantain it.

Xenir is a dwarf miner, and is trying his best.

Will make a post with picks tomorrow and probably finish my turn.

Before sleep edit: I switched our fallen comrade with a dwarf invader and had his corpse dumped, wich led to roting without burial, wich led to Snow cancels mining, Shaken.
He was friends with him apparently. There is a small room with coffins on the big corridor that links the two side by side staircases.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:24:31 pm by Magistrum »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2018, 04:25:33 pm »

"I taught about the sword to Edzul, but he already defeated three foes himself, while I have only ever slayed wildlife! I hope he doesn't think too little of me after I fumbled the cave crocodile capture..."

Another round of migrants! Six courageous workers!

Some didn't have any relevant skills so they were moved to the reserves:

Kosoth Rôberubbul is a Great Metalsmith, but we already have two legendary ones... It isn't a important skill, but is a costly to train one, so he escapes going to the reserves for now, at least.

Melbil Bufutsåkzul is more skilled than our current glassmaker, replacing her who is now part of the 1st Reserve.
Migrant Bëmbul Lâvenolin,hunter, and resident Oddom Edosbesmar, hunter, have been moved to the Garrison;

The following dwarves have then been assigned to the brand new marksdwarves squad:
The Marksdwarves squad will have full steel armor too, due the tendency they have to run towards the enemy once ammo runs out.
 I didn't give them an Archery Target yet, since training and fighting bolts are bugged and I want to neither send them to fight with bone bolts nor have them train with bronze bolts.

Also came the liason and the caravan!
 I ordered whatever is made out of steel, so we should have something nice next year.
 Good news, large gems will be paying around 200% next year, exactly what our bone carver is doing right now.
 I bought whatever I could find out of metal, all wood, leather bins(we still lack backpacks), and all booze. Winter is coming soon anyway and we will drown in plump helmets, so I didn't buy any vegetables or fruits.

Our only blacksmith, Bëmbul Zimgoden, has sacrificed herself for the greater good: informing me that we are using a hole for dumping, which is very dangerous.
Bëmbul got hit in the neck by a Llama partial skeleton and her neck became unrecognizable mess. She will suffocate shortly.
I turned the hole in a refuse stockpile and made the actual dump zone inside the hole, on the lower level.
I also stopped some dwarves on their way to throw teeth and a cow corpse inside hole while a planter recovered soon to be missed Bëmbul.

Pics of cistern:
Because of the prior incident there isn't a lot of water, hoping it rains soon. Worst case scenario we link the murky pools together. (Which I am supposed to do come rain season anyway.)

There is now a lovely weapon/armor stockpile on the barracks, it's our little armory:
Try to station the reservists on the barracks when mobilizing them outside their season for faster equip.
It also has ammo on, just so the hunters stop going down to the forges to get bolts. The towers' stockpile should take from here.

I bought some dimple cup spawn to set up the dyeing process, should be cool.
By the way,  we can now smelt electrum from bars, have two legendary metalcrafters, and scepters will be at a nice bonus, so let's not be broke come next autumn.

Our pasture has grown enough, and our animals will now only be killed by us:

Hospital got a few more beds and traction benches, I forgot to upload when the goblins attacked:

The cave entrance has a few cage traps, will add a bridge and keep closed until we get a proper gate.

Exploratory mining, the scatter-shot technique(big pic):

Am digging this granite layer for cassiterite, it is igneous intrusive, so we should also find some bismuthine and galena soon, along with gold. I have designated the marble layer searching for malachite too.
Once we get done with this we wall off the layer for pathfinding purposes.

Edit: Strange mood! Oh, it's our carpenter. Ah, he is already legendary. And he made a wooden bin. Alright.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:12:09 pm by Magistrum »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2018, 10:26:44 pm »

"I got a masterwork shield from Dakost, it is great!"

We got a troglodite in the cage traps, using the unoccupied rooms by the mason's workshop to store caged wildlife.

Our animal trainers are very dedicated:

The well is officially dry. And the murky pools froze. I'll take the opportunity to dig a corridor between each of them, plan being that when they thaw on spring the rains fill both the pools and the corridors, and gives us a nice buffer. For the next player, the pools freeze mid-timber. It would be ideal to make the pools stay at about 3/7 2/7 during the freezing, which would give us more water once it thawed.

The Northwest tower is up and staffed. I thought the dwarves would all staff one tower, go train and then ignore the other, but the orders worked fine, three at East Tower, three at Northwest Tower, and four training.
The corridor goes trough the farm level.

Set up automated dyeing, working fine right now, but made it to work in increments of five to diminish spam.
Set it to dye cloth and not thread, since there is hair thread that is used for sutures only, and removed condition of up until ten dye products (so that dimple cups keep getting milled and spawn can be planted multiple times per season).
I set the dye order to be general, so you can buy dye from caravans and they will use it immediately.
Set up automated tooth decoration, because the gems are already a pain to haul and the teeth are irregular supply either way. Increments of five too.
Made the Reserves uniform call for iron helms, weapons, shields, and bronze greaves, high boots, gauntlets, mailshirts and breastplates. Made it exact matches and replace clothing, so don't worry to much about nudists during season change. (The partial matches made they snatch steel pieces and cause nudism and equipment pickup cascades.)

Currently dry on ammo, but don't want to waste iron on it.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2018, 08:43:14 am »

Great job, I'll have to check the orders for inspiration!

removed condition of up until ten dye products (so that dimple cups keep getting milled and spawn can be planted multiple times per season).

I think that there should be a limit on milled dyes. Otherwise we'll be swimming in dimple cups and all the extra dyes will be tying bags needlessly.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2018, 10:22:46 am »

Good point. I already had this with the sand bags, let me just see if it is counting item or stacks and set up a limit then.
Edit: Yep, stacks, not individual number (We have 19 units of dimple cup dye, but only 7 stacks, and it passed.)
Added condition for "Amount of unrotten dye items available is at most 10", which should give us ten bags of dye, whatever the color.

Mood edit: One of the hunters has a fey mood... Don't do it Stukos, don't do it! Craftsdwarf shop, hope it's not something useless.

Editier: A bone mask... We should give it to a distinguished soldier, since helms don't protect nose and other facial features.

Since everyone was unfocused due to not being able to pray, I threw two statues down a hole and set up the very appropriately named "The Cathedral of  Tightness":
Soon everyone flooded there and it seems like the whole fortress stopped for praying. Morale should improve soon.

Set up a bridge instead of a floodgate on the murky pool, to avoid invaders trough the well.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 12:34:38 pm by Magistrum »

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2018, 11:32:36 am »

Do we have some artifact furniture for nobles already?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2018, 12:56:53 pm »

I find that a single steel spiked ball in a weapon trap works just as well for nobles.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26