Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26

Author Topic: Simple Fort... Succession game... Resident clowns  (Read 54678 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Fort... Succession game
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2018, 08:49:38 pm »

What's a dwarfing?
I believe he means to ask if someone wants to be one of the dwarves, having a custom name and all.

I want one!
Preferably a very wussy military dwarf, but a very wussy civilian is also desirable.
In a time before time, I had a name.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 06:36:15 am »

I have more to come, but I need sleep. Hopefully, I'll figure out how to attach images (I probably need to upload them somewhere when I'm awake).
Here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162924.0

BTW, there was a dwarf named cheese, could you keep him solely a cheese maker
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 08:15:11 am »

Update the OP to include the littlest cheesemaker then.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 09:34:08 am »

Update the OP to include the littlest cheesemaker then.
I honestly think he was a guy....
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2018, 10:16:20 am »

Guys can be little too, right?
((Non native speaker here, my phrase was not gender neutral?))

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2018, 10:59:12 am »

It is gender neutral in the general sense, but not in context of the DF forum, where it is understood as a reference to: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136384.0

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2018, 11:34:51 am »

How did I forget this!?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2018, 01:20:14 pm »

BTW, there was a dwarf named cheese, could you keep him solely a cheese maker

Last I knew, the dwarf "Cheese" was making cheese. Luckily, migrants brought milkable animals (and also all of the other types of animals). You may have been both milking and making cheese, but I won't know for certain (or be able to change it) until I get home. Also, one of the dwarves somewhere has the mechanics skill/job, and I have no idea who.

On a related-ish note, I remember digging out a big room to use as an indoor pasture, but I don't know if we have caverns. Doesn't that prevent growing indoor grasses?

If it does, I can dig out the roof and use the glass furnace to make infinity glass blocks (instead of pots, because barrels are a thing that exists) to act as a greenhouse. It's like 90 z-levels away, but there are already dwarves wheelbarrowing around rocks everywhere. Semi-necessary greenhouse would be a better use for them, but has the downside of allowing light into our fortress.

Goals left: enough steel armor with wooden shields for the whole 14-member army, get the well project like 70% finished, fail to learn why we have more than 15 squares on the y-axis, set up a hospital, hope a legendary doctor (all 5 skills) and a legendary weaponsmith show up or just turn on those jobs for Urist UcRando and let the next player train them. Learn how to post pictures so you know what the merchants want to trade (spoiler: they're getting piles of bone gems instead) and the status screen from the end of my year. If someone knows a lazy way (I don't need to sign up for anything), let me know.

Things I might do: Maybe I'll also create a garbage dump right over the magma sea to dump garbage from butchering and poor-quality wooden shields. Oh, I just (re-)learned mining skill doesn't affect chance of dropping ore, so I might go dig up some adamantine as well. There is literally no chance that will cause our wealth to skyrocket, bringing in more migrants and monsters than we can handle.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2018, 01:35:45 pm »

Oh, isn't it better to use steel or something heavy for shields for bashings to be effective?
(Unless not one has armor user, in which case emcumbrance will do them in for sure)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2018, 05:36:03 pm »

Heavy is better for attacking with shields, lighter is better for movement rate. Quality impacts block rate (if I remember correctly), but weight only impacts attacks, and how much you're carrying. I have no idea which is better.

Rest of the year:
Cheese was the only cheesemaker I found (other than the one who...volunteered for military service), and now produces only cheese. You will also no longer haul anything but owned items, refuse, or dead bodies. Because 2 of those cause miasma. To make up for the extra labor Cheese has performed, there is now a farm workshop that is usable only by Cheese.

Magistrum is, I am sorry to report, clumsy and weak (as requested). You are a wrestler, until someone gets around to producing weapons.

I'll post the rest when I'm done.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2018, 07:20:13 pm »

Re:Indoor grasses, Opening the caverns causes cave... moss? to start growing all over the place, which IIRC is grazable

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2018, 07:27:08 pm »

On the shield issue, I know that armor can be broken if it's hit enough. The wiki doesn't specifically say that shields can also be broken, but shields are listed as armor, so I don't know. At the very least, if a wooden shield breaks it can be easily replaced, I'm just bringing up this point because I'm sure nobody wants their shield to break in the middle of deadly combat.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2018, 08:00:09 pm »

I hit space, and accidentally played an extra 6 days. Here is the save:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13671

It's a good way to learn how to use jobs, or go insane because new jobs will show up. We don't have caverns, and I'm hoping the shields get replaced with adamantine (or I guess whatever the heaviest metal we can make shields with) before any non-training combat. I may not have changed the uniforms, so the armor/shields aren't getting used yet. I also haven't actually built the well, so I met my goal of getting that almost finished. New entrance is at the east edge of the map. Also, be careful what you type. Everytime I started talking about a new project, it became necessary.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pictures!

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2018, 01:58:48 pm »

Next turn is Psychedelichu's, isn't it?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2018, 02:02:06 pm »

His only post was asking for a turn though,  so let's wait for one or two days, since he is a scaped lunatic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 26