Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Altera Vita Academy, OOC thread  (Read 24397 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Altera Vita Academy, OOC thread
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 10:30:11 pm »

Alright, here's the character sheet.

Spoiler: Jun Yeung (click to show/hide)

Everything's looks great! Just as a note: your character will start out with being able to use only two connecting portals for the same of balance. Other than that, your app looks good!

Also, @Dustan Hache, I'd just realized that your character's Psyche could be overpowering. Would you like to have a duration or some other condition?
Yes, that's why I had the vice modified on it. If I want to utilise it against more than one target, I will have to either resist a ton of vice checks, or only go after "big game". If that is not sufficient, then make it so that vice checks disable it for a few turns regardless of the result.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 11:57:32 pm »

Hmm, in that case. It's fine the way it is. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 04:18:01 am »

I have some questions about the game, since I'm not sure yet if I wanna join or not. If you could say anything about these that'd help me decide.

-What will the tone of the game be like? On the one hand it seems to involve fighting monsters, which gets an automatic plus from me, but then it also mentions 'classes' and such pretty often in a way that makes it sound a bit like those high school RP things. How is the balance between these supposed to be? Is it lighthearted or more serious? Or like that thing they have in some anime were they mix the things, with silly school shenanigans one moment and limbs flying the next?

-The rules mention death coming quick but then also say you can be patched up from nearly anything. So, how high are the stakes exactly? How bad is it if you screw up? Is there a real failure state?

-What is the gameplay format like? Is any person free to do whatever, will there be mission cycles, freeroam with occasional events?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 09:21:13 am »

I have some questions about the game, since I'm not sure yet if I wanna join or not. If you could say anything about these that'd help me decide.

-What will the tone of the game be like? On the one hand it seems to involve fighting monsters, which gets an automatic plus from me, but then it also mentions 'classes' and such pretty often in a way that makes it sound a bit like those high school RP things. How is the balance between these supposed to be? Is it lighthearted or more serious? Or like that thing they have in some anime were they mix the things, with silly school shenanigans one moment and limbs flying the next?

I am going for a mixture of light-heartedness and seriousness, with a healthy dose of black comedy. As for the classes, they are there to give the students a chance to learn skills that will aid them in battle or some other tasks. As for the silly school shenanigans, they will come about either due to the actions of the players themselves or if the NPCs if I want to spice things up a bit.

-The rules mention death coming quick but then also say you can be patched up from nearly anything. So, how high are the stakes exactly? How bad is it if you screw up? Is there a real failure state?

I haven't thought about any high-stakes, irredeemable states of failures at the moment since the game would just now be starting. However, a plan I'd been having concerning missions is that if every student participating in a mission gets wiped out, the enemy will fortify their position if they are still lead by intelligent characters, making it harder for the players to just waltz in there right after dying. However these circumstances are not to be expected in each mission, at least initially. Future plans will see the student finding a means to get straight back into battle and the challenge rating getting harder in response. For example, if the students collected enough materials in previous missions to build something of a 'mobile respawn point', then another objective would be to protect it from the enemy. However, I do plan to include events that occur due to the players' failure to stop something in time.

-What is the gameplay format like? Is any person free to do whatever, will there be mission cycles, freeroam with occasional events?

There are indeed mission cycles with interspaced rest times where you can do whatever you want as well as events. You can even choose not to participate in any missions if you want to do something else, whether improving yourself or even free roam. There aren't much restrictions in Altera Vita.

I hope that I'd answered your questions sufficiently and clearly.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 09:59:49 am »

Yes, thank you for taking the time to answer them.

Any idea of when you would like to start the game?

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 02:16:17 pm »

Yes, thank you for taking the time to answer them.

Any idea of when you would like to start the game?

I'll start as soon as I get as least six people to join.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 03:38:23 pm »

Isn't that a bit high of an expectation? I mean, this is the first I've seen of you on the forum games board.

Besides, the sooner you get the ball rolling, the more other people will have to go off of, and thusly the more interest will be drawn to it.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 04:42:26 pm »

Isn't that a bit high of an expectation? I mean, this is the first I've seen of you on the forum games board.

Besides, the sooner you get the ball rolling, the more other people will have to go off of, and thusly the more interest will be drawn to it.

Hmm, Perhaps I can get started if at least one more person joins. I still have plenty to write though.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 02:28:31 pm »

Still thinking about whether or not to commit to this. I currently have two character concepts:
-Crusader who died a martyr and thinks this is his purgatory. Class would be the charisma one, and as his ability it'd be something related to inspiring or buffing other people. Any idea how this could work mechanics-wise?
-Biomancer. His ability would be to make alterations to people's biology to buff them or give them more options. If that's not what is meant with special ability, perhaps dissecting (or vivisecting) things to learn more about them? And which class would be better for this, the builder one or the researchy one?

EDIT: a friend of mine from the forum wanted me to ask if it would be possible for him to play as my familiar, preferably a crow. Would that be acceptable in any way, elven? I could of course take it as my psyche power. Just an idea, could be neat.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 06:54:05 pm by Radio Controlled »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2018, 07:02:59 pm »

i like birds

Specifically what I was thinking, so that Radio doesn't have to squeeze my words through the funnel of IRC and into here:
A non-sapient crow familiar, with only very basic understanding of language or tools. Can take verbal commands from its master thanks to something something magic but doesn't understand what anyone else is saying. Some kind of magical power, not too picky what in particular, more for radio to decide.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2018, 12:08:28 am »

Still thinking about whether or not to commit to this. I currently have two character concepts:
-Crusader who died a martyr and thinks this is his purgatory. Class would be the charisma one, and as his ability it'd be something related to inspiring or buffing other people. Any idea how this could work mechanics-wise?
[/spoiler]

Your crusader's Psyche can work by buffing nearby allies' Attributes as those pretty much determine how many successes they can possibly have, depending on their actions. You may choose which Attributes to boost though since he's just starting out, he's limited to at least two Attributes with +2 boost to whichever you choose. However, any Perks he researched can be used to modify his Psyche so that it can either provide additional boosts or even different buffs.

-Biomancer. His ability would be to make alterations to people's biology to buff them or give them more options. If that's not what is meant with special ability, perhaps dissecting (or vivisecting) things to learn more about them? And which class would be better for this, the builder one or the researchy one?

EDIT: a friend of mine from the forum wanted me to ask if it would be possible for him to play as my familiar, preferably a crow. Would that be acceptable in any way, elven? I could of course take it as my psyche power. Just an idea, could be neat.

Your Biomancer will be limited to one alteration since it has the potential to boost two or more Attributes or add a whole new dimension of combat depending on what it allows the recipients to do. Also, though you can have this ability regardless of caste, it can synchronize well with any of them. Whether you can use the extra oomph in combat as a Firespark or take advantage of the higher research bonuses as a Watersplash to research Perks fast, it is up to you.

On the matter of your friend, continue reading below...

i like birds

Specifically what I was thinking, so that Radio doesn't have to squeeze my words through the funnel of IRC and into here:
A non-sapient crow familiar, with only very basic understanding of language or tools. Can take verbal commands from its master thanks to something something magic but doesn't understand what anyone else is saying. Some kind of magical power, not too picky what in particular, more for radio to decide.

Roleplaying as a familiar is a strange but potentially interesting idea. Basically, you'll just roleplay as a non-student character who will start out with 50 points to spend for your Attributes. However, because you're not a student, you won't be able to do any progress-dependent actions, nor will you be able to join castes or  take advantage of their bonuses to Attributes and skill point placements and if radio's character gets taken out during a fight you will disappear as well. However, in addition to the extra Attribute points, you will benefit from any Perks radio researched without lifting a finger and will receive 20% of the experience  their character gains but only if you're not directed involved.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2018, 01:29:51 am »

Previous Name: Caw?
Previous Gender: Caw caw!
Previous Age: Caw!
Previous Appearance: Caaw caw!
Background Story: CAW

Current Name: Corvo
Current Gender: Male, but not like human male. Like crow male.
Current Age: the fact that he's a magical familiar kinda implies that this should be just 0. But Corvo's not a little chick or anything, he's an adult American Crow.
Personality: Crow-like
Dislikes: Nosy and/or noisy people.
Fears: Enclosed spaces, predators.
Berserk Buttons: Anything, you know, life threatening? Having your life threatened is probably a good time to go berserk.
Favorite Things: Curly fries!

Caste: Bird
Weapon: Do sharp talons count?
Psyche: Blink

Acquired Skills: Scavenging, spotting morons, wooing the ladybirds

Acquired Items/Totems: This shiny watch I found

Current Q-Gems: Three. I counted them. Because Corvids are pretty smart.

Current Status Effects: Birdbrains

Might: 4
Fortitude: 1
Endurance: 4
Accuracy: 8
Agility: 10
Stealth: 5
Perception: 8
Intelligence: 3
Charisma: 0
Willpower: 7
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2018, 09:39:37 am »

Does this check out?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 10:24:11 am by Radio Controlled »

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2018, 12:13:26 pm »

Will we be able to modify our weapons or is the fullest extent of that going to be the charm system?

Also, can you explain in more detail how totems and their respective charms would work, and how players would go about making/acquiring them?

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2018, 08:47:59 pm »

Previous Name: Caw?
Previous Gender: Caw caw!
Previous Age: Caw!
Previous Appearance: Caaw caw!
Background Story: CAW

Current Name: Corvo
Current Gender: Male, but not like human male. Like crow male.
Current Age: the fact that he's a magical familiar kinda implies that this should be just 0. But Corvo's not a little chick or anything, he's an adult American Crow.
Personality: Crow-like
Dislikes: Nosy and/or noisy people.
Fears: Enclosed spaces, predators.
Berserk Buttons: Anything, you know, life threatening? Having your life threatened is probably a good time to go berserk.
Favorite Things: Curly fries!

Caste: Bird
Weapon: Do sharp talons count?
Psyche: Blink

Acquired Skills: Scavenging, spotting morons, wooing the ladybirds

Acquired Items/Totems: This shiny watch I found

Current Q-Gems: Three. I counted them. Because Corvids are pretty smart.

Current Status Effects: Birdbrains

Might: 4
Fortitude: 1
Endurance: 4
Accuracy: 8
Agility: 10
Stealth: 5
Perception: 8
Intelligence: 3
Charisma: 0
Willpower: 7

Caw, caw! ca-ca-ca-caw, caw!
Rough translation: Good application! Wait here while I have a chat with your master.

Does this check out?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though your character checks out for the most part, I have some concerns about your Psyche. I was under the impression that your Psyche would summon Egan's character, that he would pretty much function as a familiar you will summon and not as a pet you already have. Either you must change your Psyche to one that summons him or he will have to change his character to a student. I'd hate to let your character have an unfair advantage by starting with an item despite just now arriving at Altera Vita Academy.

However, not all hope are lost! You can always research Perks that will enhance the capabilities of Egan's character as well as learn skills (like the 'Rally' skill you mentioned in your app earlier.

Will we be able to modify our weapons or is the fullest extent of that going to be the charm system?

You can make your weapons modifiable, just learn the recipes of the attachments and craft them. Normal, any weapon attachments gives you a buff in certain Attributes according to their purpose and that's it though nothing's stopping you from crafting weapon attachments that are themselves Totems.

Also, can you explain in more detail how totems and their respective charms would work, and how players would go about making/acquiring them?

Totems are single items that have been imbued with Charms. Just think of them as talismans that you can carry around and spend Q-Gems to use whenever necessary. Charms are 'reality-warping', highly versatile abilities that have a specific purpose, mainly making an action easier for the user. For example, a spy who wants to infiltrate a village would use a Charm that allows her to emit an aura that causes people to be less likely to notice or remember them while a scout can use a Charm to 'see' in an area around an arrow he'd just fired. However, Charms cannot be used to directly attack an enemy like a weapon or fireball can. Charms may be researched just like Perks though due to their capabilities, they will take twice as many weeks to acquire/level. Totems can be crafted like any regular item though their recipe must be learned beforehand. I hope that I'd answer your questions clearly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13