Finally... > Life Advice

depressed

(1/5) > >>

deathpunch578:
I feel fine, it's just when ever something doesn't go right or I make a mistake I feel depressed. Sometimes I'm fine after a bit, but most of the time I feel awful through the rest of the day.
I also have aspergers, I don't know how it effects me, I just know I've diagnosed with it.

I just need help.

nenjin:

--- Quote ---ever something doesn't go right or I make a mistake I feel depressed
--- End quote ---

Sounds like self-esteem issues to me. I also have the problem where when I've screwed up or something didn't go right in the day that was important to me, it will stay with me a while. I don't think it's unnatural. But I do think it comes from a place of guilt, of feeling the need to beat one's self up. I mentally consider it as trying to always be better and having consequences when I suck, even though it causes me pain and depression. But it's often things that are out of your control that screw stuff up, and in lieu of being able to blame life and moving on...you blame yourself. Either reasonably (I could have done better and didn't) or unreasonably (taking responsibility for stuff you don't have any control over.)

Letting go isn't easy, especially when it's something important. There will always be some period of time when you have to mentally process something that happened. Rationalizing and finding an explanation you can live with does take time. The trick is to not sweat the small stuff, like bad social interactions. Don't ignore them! But don't carry them around with you all day, all week. Pick which hill you really should be dying on. I had to learn this at work the hard way. I'd get really worked up over small things that made the big things seem even more intimidating. My bosses had to tell me "let the small stuff go. Save your angst for the big things." And it really did help. To me it was like "bwah, you mean deliberately don't care as much about the low level stuff that goes like crap?! It's like you're telling me to slack off and not get invested!" Truth is there is some stuff out there that isn't worthy of your pain. Finding out which is which is a life skill.

Can't help you much with the Aspergers though.

martinuzz:
Feeling bad for failing at something is not depressed. If you were really depressed, you would probably not even have tried in the first place.

ChairmanPoo:

--- Quote from: martinuzz on March 13, 2018, 08:58:23 pm ---Feeling bad for failing at something is not depressed. If you were really depressed, you would probably not even have tried in the first place.

--- End quote ---
Feeling bad for failing at something is being disappointed

deathpunch578:

--- Quote from: nenjin on March 13, 2018, 05:51:21 pm ---...

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try my best to actually follow it.

--- Quote from: martinuzz on March 13, 2018, 08:58:23 pm ---Feeling bad for failing at something is not depressed. If you were really depressed, you would probably not even have tried in the first place.

--- End quote ---
I do want to give up and stop trying, but I end up forcing myself to do things (it makes me want to bash my head against a wall until I knock myself unconscious, but at least I'm trying to work through it)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version