Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: depressed  (Read 3202 times)

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
depressed
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:42:32 pm »

I feel fine, it's just when ever something doesn't go right or I make a mistake I feel depressed. Sometimes I'm fine after a bit, but most of the time I feel awful through the rest of the day.
I also have aspergers, I don't know how it effects me, I just know I've diagnosed with it.

I just need help.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: depressed
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 05:51:21 pm »

ever something doesn't go right or I make a mistake I feel depressed

Sounds like self-esteem issues to me. I also have the problem where when I've screwed up or something didn't go right in the day that was important to me, it will stay with me a while. I don't think it's unnatural. But I do think it comes from a place of guilt, of feeling the need to beat one's self up. I mentally consider it as trying to always be better and having consequences when I suck, even though it causes me pain and depression. But it's often things that are out of your control that screw stuff up, and in lieu of being able to blame life and moving on...you blame yourself. Either reasonably (I could have done better and didn't) or unreasonably (taking responsibility for stuff you don't have any control over.)

Letting go isn't easy, especially when it's something important. There will always be some period of time when you have to mentally process something that happened. Rationalizing and finding an explanation you can live with does take time. The trick is to not sweat the small stuff, like bad social interactions. Don't ignore them! But don't carry them around with you all day, all week. Pick which hill you really should be dying on. I had to learn this at work the hard way. I'd get really worked up over small things that made the big things seem even more intimidating. My bosses had to tell me "let the small stuff go. Save your angst for the big things." And it really did help. To me it was like "bwah, you mean deliberately don't care as much about the low level stuff that goes like crap?! It's like you're telling me to slack off and not get invested!" Truth is there is some stuff out there that isn't worthy of your pain. Finding out which is which is a life skill.

Can't help you much with the Aspergers though.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:54:13 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:58:23 pm »

Feeling bad for failing at something is not depressed. If you were really depressed, you would probably not even have tried in the first place.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 02:56:10 am »

Feeling bad for failing at something is not depressed. If you were really depressed, you would probably not even have tried in the first place.
Feeling bad for failing at something is being disappointed
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 12:03:57 pm »

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try my best to actually follow it.

I do want to give up and stop trying, but I end up forcing myself to do things (it makes me want to bash my head against a wall until I knock myself unconscious, but at least I'm trying to work through it)
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 12:37:57 pm »

I do want to give up and stop trying, but I end up forcing myself to do things (it makes me want to bash my head against a wall until I knock myself unconscious, but at least I'm trying to work through it)
That's still not really depression, if you were despressed like martinuz said you wouldn't of tried.  You usually wouldn't even think of trying.  Depression is waking up and seeing the pile of work before you, then shrugging and going back to bed/reading a book/staring at the wall before you go to lay down for the night so you can get up and barely even exist the next day.

Depression is also a constant, there isn't something that makes your days bad, they just are bad.  Sometimes they are worse sure but usually they are just bad.

That said I'd love to offer positive advice on what's making you feel sad and the bad feelings you do have but as someone struggling with depression so bad I haven't properly cleaned my room in a year I don't think I have any advice to give.

If all this makes you angry at me though and want to tell me how you do have depression, go talk to your doctor.  Depending on where you live anti-depressants are pretty standard stuff.
Nom nom nom

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 01:04:51 pm »

I get that, just explaining a bit more of my situation. When posting this I kinda half forgot what depression is (all I remembered was it made you unmotivated and made have suicidal thoughts/thoughts of self harm)
As someone with mental illnesses I am not going to be the person that fakes having a mental illness/disorder for attention (I fucking hate these people)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 02:11:41 pm »

Aspergers is not a mental illness, if that's what you are referring to.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 02:15:10 pm »

Er, yes it is.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 03:56:09 am »

That's still not really depression, if you were despressed like martinuz said you wouldn't of tried.
Oh cheers, so because I manage to at least get out of bed most days and try to improve my life despite the inherent pointlessness of it all and the inevitability of failure, I'm not actually depressed at all.
Good to know, thanks! :))

I know how you feel, Deathpunch. Once I start beating myself up over even the smallest of failures it can be awfully hard to stop.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 04:06:49 am »

That sounds more like neurosis than depression.

*Has suffered depression. It sucks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 01:55:11 pm »

Er, yes it is.
Over here it is called a personality disorder, but not an illness. Calling someone with aspergers mentally ill is considered an insult, not just by those with asperger's, but also by psychologists and psychiatrists alike.

Also, DSM is often treated like it's some kind of holy scripture. It's not. It's a compromise between diagnosis and cost-effectiveness of treatment for health insurance and pharmaceutics' sake.
I daresay it even hurts medical progress, for it does not encourage out-of-the-box thinking at all.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:02:07 pm by martinuzz »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 02:59:20 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:29:19 pm by dragdeler »
let

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 05:44:25 pm »

The radiostation at work has been talking about depressions the whole week (some silly social engagement) and it is appaling to me how often the conversation drives to platitudes, even when they interview the so called experts. When to me it seems so apparant; I'm not pretending to have eaten wisdom by the spoonful, but you will be hard pressed to find an instance of depression that can not be resumed to the following logic:

The cause for depressions stems from expectations (to others, yourself or the world in general) that go unsatisfied, and somebody who suffers depression knows, or has persuaded oneself that that expectation will forever remain unmet.

This is not just inaccurate but dangerously so. Depression is an actual chemical disorder (albeit one that, like most brain problems, is hard to provide an etiology for with certainty); it's not something you can philosophize yourself into or out of, but a physiological problem with the brain. Part of the reason we try to raise awareness of it as a disorder is because it is one, and one that's often responsive to pharmaceutical intervention in concert with therapy. Yes, coping strategies are important. Yes, depressive people in particular should be encouraged to take an active role in managing their problems. But to try to blandly lump it all together as "you believe your expectations will go unmet so suck it up" is to ignore the actual medical problems at play, which is dangerous -- and to dismiss the blanket statements of experts as "platitudes" is to mistake medical caution for ignorance.

In short, there is a legitimate medical problem with a roster of legitimate medical solutions at play here, and we should be encouraging those with depression to explore them rather than dismissing the "so called experts." Resilience is all well and good. Resilience combined with a respect for the magnitude and nature of the problem is unequivocally better.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 06:51:16 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:29:09 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: [1] 2